American Studies Fall 2019??

22 minutes ago, jpbends said:

There's still time for UCSD! Looks like they typically release acceptances about halfway through the month.

Ha, I think there's still time for all of them! Doesn't look like anyone's heard from any of them yet. Sick of waiting, though, inevitably. 

1 hour ago, ExileFromAFutureTime said:

Exciting stuff- was accepted to the University of Michigan for American Studies. Just found out this morning.

Congratulations! Just out of curiosity do you mean American Culture? And do you think it’s safe to assume that if you haven’t heard anything today, that reject and/or waitlist is coming? 

21 minutes ago, IBrakeForVanJohnson said:

Still waiting, and didn’t hear anything. Also didn’t see any update on my application portal 

Same, also just checked my application portal and no change.

On 2/5/2019 at 8:10 AM, princeleo said:

Hi @rx971 I received this email about interviews. The text of the email was very vague / did not imply any sort of short list or how standard this process was. They asked me to block off an hour of time this coming Friday. 

I'll definitely keep y'all updated.

Hey! Please update us on the interview, if you feel comfortable in doing so! In any case, hope you smashed it!!

Edited by needdat

16 minutes ago, needdat said:

Hey! Please update us on the interview, if you feel comfortable in doing so! In any case, hope you smashed it!!

Hi! So I actually had a rather interesting experience and am curious as to how other peoples' interviews went. It started an hour and a half later than I expected it to start (which wasn't a fun wait) and it lasted approximately 7 minutes long. The Director of Graduate Studies and two other senior faculty members were present during the interview. They asked me two questions: briefly explain my research interests and besides a professor I had previously worked with, who else would I want to work with. They gave me the chance to ask one question to them. And that was it! So, it was swift and don't really think accomplished that much overall.

But like I said, curious as to how others did!

Edited by princeleo

4 minutes ago, princeleo said:

Hi! So I actually had a rather interesting experience and am curious as to how other peoples' interviews went. It started an hour and a half later than I expected it to start (which wasn't a fun wait) and it lasted approximately 7 minutes long. The Director of Graduate Studies and two other senior faculty members were present during the interview. They asked me two questions: briefly explain my research interests and besides a professor I had previously worked with, who else would I want to work with. They gave me the chance to ask one question to them. And that was it! So, it was swift and don't really think accomplished that much overall.

Hi – interviewed today as well and had a very similar experience! Perhaps it was just a formality?

2 hours ago, princeleo said:

1 hour ago, msers said:

Hi – interviewed today as well and had a very similar experience! Perhaps it was just a formality?

Hmmmm. Well, I think it’s awesome that you both got interviews. Sending positive vibes your way! And thanks for the update!

19 hours ago, halcyonday said:

Same, also just checked my application portal and no change.

19 hours ago, IBrakeForVanJohnson said:

Still waiting, and didn’t hear anything. Also didn’t see any update on my application portal 

Looks like someone else got accepted to UMich American Culture, via phone call. If those two posts are indeed the only two admits so far, then there would only be about 4 or 5 spots left, based on last year's 6 total admits. So.... good luck! Keeping my phone charged up so that at the very least I will definitely not have a dead phone this weekend, which is always nice.

22 hours ago, youngblood79 said:

Congratulations! Just out of curiosity do you mean American Culture? And do you think it’s safe to assume that if you haven’t heard anything today, that reject and/or waitlist is coming? 

Yes, American Culture it is. The official letter should arrive next week, according to the DGS email I received. 

7 hours ago, sickeagle said:

Looks like someone else got accepted to UMich American Culture, via phone call. If those two posts are indeed the only two admits so far, then there would only be about 4 or 5 spots left, based on last year's 6 total admits. So.... good luck! Keeping my phone charged up so that at the very least I will definitely not have a dead phone this weekend, which is always nice.

Well, congrats to @ExileFromAFutureTime and the other mystery admit! 

I've been surprised at the teeny cohort sizes everywhere! I'm currently in a culture studies MA program, and my cohort (combined MA/PhD since we do coursework together) is 12, 9 of which are doctoral... 6 is so small, particularly considering Mich (and UT!) are much larger schools. 

23 hours ago, halcyonday said:

Well, congrats to @ExileFromAFutureTime and the other mystery admit! 

I've been surprised at the teeny cohort sizes everywhere! I'm currently in a culture studies MA program, and my cohort (combined MA/PhD since we do coursework together) is 12, 9 of which are doctoral... 6 is so small, particularly considering Mich (and UT!) are much larger schools. 

Relatedly, spoke with the director of Purdue's AMST program and he said this year's cohort is five students.

I was just informed by one of my professors that I was accepted to BU's American & New England Studies program! This is my first accept and I"m so ridiculously excited!!

If you're also waiting, it sounds like they have made their decisions and hopefully they'll be notifying people soon!

59 minutes ago, IBrakeForVanJohnson said:

I was just informed by one of my professors that I was accepted to BU's American & New England Studies program! This is my first accept and I"m so ridiculously excited!!

If you're also waiting, it sounds like they have made their decisions and hopefully they'll be notifying people soon!

Congrats! The first one is the sweetest even if you end up elsewhere. Hope the next few are good news as well!

10 hours ago, youngblood79 said:

Did anyone apply to George Washington’s American Studies program? If so, have you heard anything from them? I thought they conduct interviews by this point, but no one has posted anything about it. 

I applied to GW's American Studies program. Haven't heard anything yet, not sure what this means about my application!

59 minutes ago, princeleo said:

I applied to GW's American Studies program. Haven't heard anything yet, not sure what this means about my application!

same! i saw on the results thread that they usually request for interviews during the first week of feb but i haven't heard anything yet. nervous for what that means!

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:35 PM, swarthmawr said:

Anyone want to claim the Brown waitlist? 

That would be me! Waitlisted at Brown. I'm pleased with news, since I know its a competitive program. 

sidenote, I got the email on a Saturday. So now if you need me on the weekends, I'll be frantically refreshing my email, knowing that decisions could be sent any day of the week ?