American Studies Fall 2019??

On 2/15/2019 at 3:01 PM, youngblood79 said:

If Yale hasn't gotten back to us then should we assume a rejection or wait list? According to the results page, historically they send acceptances on the same day. Someone already posted earlier this week that they were admitted, so I am assuming they've spoken to people who are admitted. 

I don't think we should conclude wait list or rejection from Yale. No one else has posted an acceptance. That one person seems to be an anomaly. I'm hoping for 2/22 to be a day of clarity. 

On 2/11/2019 at 1:12 PM, IBrakeForVanJohnson said:

I was just informed by one of my professors that I was accepted to BU's American & New England Studies program! This is my first accept and I"m so ridiculously excited!!

If you're also waiting, it sounds like they have made their decisions and hopefully they'll be notifying people soon!

Congrats!! Have you received anything formal, either by email or on the portal? I’m still waiting to hear from them and didn’t expect anything until March. 

I was waitlisted at UNC if that helps anyone still waiting to hear. Has anyone had any movement on U Delaware (Am Civ)? 

4 hours ago, msccsm said:

Congrats!! Have you received anything formal, either by email or on the portal? I’m still waiting to hear from them and didn’t expect anything until March. 

I was waitlisted at UNC if that helps anyone still waiting to hear. Has anyone had any movement on U Delaware (Am Civ)? 

Haven't heard anything formal from BU yet. Admittedly, I'm actually already a student here, so one of my professors heard through the grapevine that I got in and spilled the beans. No word of when they're going to send out anything official, but I asked one of my friends who is in the program right now and he said he didn't get the official call until early-mid March :(

I also just got rejected from UNC. Congratulations to those who made it to the next round! 

On 2/17/2019 at 9:42 PM, swarthmawr said:

Does anyone want to claim the 2 Harvard acceptances? 

Hi! Lurker here dropping in to second this question...

I just called the American Studies dept at Harvard to ask if all acceptances have been sent out, and I was told they haven’t been sent out at all. So, very curious to hear from whoever received a voicemail! 

Edited by babykubelko

19 minutes ago, Lilkubelkobondy said:

I just called the American Studies dept at Harvard to ask if all acceptances have been sent out, and I was told they haven’t been sent out at all. So, very curious to hear from whoever received a voicemail! 

Ouch, really? That means someone's lying to mess with people's emotions, or (maybe worse) getting false-hope punked... 

4 minutes ago, halcyonday said:

Ouch, really? That means someone's lying to mess with people's emotions, or (maybe worse) getting false-hope punked... 

My *hope* is that the staff member I spoke to simply doesn't have all the information, and they've started...but perhaps not finished? 

P.S. Sorry to add confusion to this already very tense time--I just thought it was worth sharing! 

Edited by Lilkubelkobondy

Just now, Lilkubelkobondy said:

My *hope* is that the staff member I spoke to simply doesn't have all the information, and they've started, but perhaps not finished? 

That seems likely. Perhaps it's a case of POIs unofficially notifying applicants, and official letters haven't been sent yet?

In any case, gods, I really hope it's neither of the options that you mentioned @halcyonday, either would be horribly cruel!

23 minutes ago, lilkubelkobondy said:

My *hope* is that the staff member I spoke to simply doesn't have all the information, and they've started...but perhaps not finished? 

P.S. Sorry to add confusion to this already very tense time--I just thought it was worth sharing! 

I reached out to the Administrative Director and he told me that he will hear from the graduate school this upcoming week, hopefully by Monday the 25th! So maybe there is some funny business going on? (but if not, congrats to those accepted!!)

1 hour ago, halcyonday said:

Well, good luck to all you Harvard applicants regardless! I'll just be here... checking my watch... waiting for Brown.....

I didn't even apply to Brown, and even I'm waiting to hear about their admissions! Sending luck to all Brown applicants! 

5 hours ago, lilkubelkobondy said:

Oh my gosh, thank you so much for calling and finding this out. I'm so relieved as I thought the results page meant all had been sent out and I was out of luck!

Just now, halcyonday said:

Haha, Brown must've heard me! Aaaaand... rejection. Oh well, still looking forward to my trip to Northwestern Thursday. :) Good luck to @magnegresswrites getting off their waitlist now that other decisions seem to be out!

I'm sorry to hear that ? 

but thank you! I appreciate it. 

Has anyone heard anything from NYU for Am Studies yet? Trying to work on finishing my thesis (at the tail end of an MFA right now) and the anxiety is making any kind of work/job hunt almost impossible.

On 2/18/2019 at 7:32 AM, msccsm said:

I just got my official email from BU, so hopefully you'll hear some good news soon! 

49 minutes ago, apines said:

Has anyone heard anything from NYU for Am Studies yet? Trying to work on finishing my thesis (at the tail end of an MFA right now) and the anxiety is making any kind of work/job hunt almost impossible.

Haven't heard anything yet! Interviewed with them two weeks ago and said I would hear back in a couple of weeks. Hopefully we hear something by Friday? 

And I totally feel you. I'm currently working on undergraduate thesis and the anxiety is such an impediment to the workflow! Sending ~ positive vibes ~ your way.

20 minutes ago, jpbends said:

If anybody's applied to the UCLA Asian American Studies MA, did you hear back yet? Prior years show acceptances around Valentine's Day, so I'm feeling a little bad about this one :( And I'm also really anxious about Irvine because there's like no results at all here on the Cafe (for Culture & Theory)!

I called C&T today and they said results would be out by the end of the month! Also super anxious ?