American Studies Fall 2019??

On 2/21/2019 at 6:53 AM, Noire et Étrange said:

(Sorry, I posted in an old account above) Hi everyone! I'm currently at Yale in African-American Studies & American Studies and just wanted to update... from what I understand decisions have yet to be released & they're supposed to come out late Feb. Also, if you have any questions about the program, feel free to PM me. 

Hey! Don’t mean to pester, but do you know or have you heard about whether or not Yale American Studies has sent all acceptances? I’ve only seen two people post their results, but it’s totally possible that the other (if any) admits haven’t.

As you can see, the anxiety is real lol

6 minutes ago, CeeJay46 said:

Well, as of last night I got my confirmation: for three years in a row I was not good enough for American Studies.

I guess I am done with that field.

Hey, I'm really sorry. For what it's worth, I don't think it's at all about "good enough," I think it's just an ever-tightening needle's eye of scholarship. I'm just finishing up an MA in AMST, and was told by several programs my work "didn't feel like American Studies".... despite having been produced in that field...... I think it's incredibly difficult to get a foot in when the field is so small. 

Thanks for the kind words. I really want to believe it is at least not all about quality, especially since I have at least some credentials (and two degrees from two countries) in that field....

It does seem like the field is really narrowing itself down to a very limited number of subjects, though...

Anyone waiting on Harvard AMST--if you haven't heard either way, I believe you can take it as an implied rejection. Called the dept and was told all acceptances/wait lists have been sent out. Congrats to those admitted, and, to the rest, I hope you are as relieved as I am to not be in the dark anymore! 

Hi folks,

I called the Yale Grad Admissions office (sorry Yale admins, if you are by any chance reading this- I am a total bug) and the nice person who took my call said that decisions should be going out in the next day or two. They said they did not have information on whether or not all offers of admission have been sent out, only that decisions (not sure which) would be going out sometime soon (in next couple days). It is possible that they have sent out all offers, but I suppose we'll know soon enough.

1 hour ago, needdat said:

Hi folks,

I called the Yale Grad Admissions office (sorry Yale admins, if you are by any chance reading this- I am a total bug) and the nice person who took my call said that decisions should be going out in the next day or two. They said they did not have information on whether or not all offers of admission have been sent out, only that decisions (not sure which) would be going out sometime soon (in next couple days). It is possible that they have sent out all offers, but I suppose we'll know soon enough.

Thanks for sharing the info. I have been lurking but I also applied to Yale American/AFam program and I am waiting for the results. It does seem folks who applied to the joint program are waiting while folks who just applied to the program have already been notified. I spoke to a grad student in the program back in Dec and it really seemed like a good program.

On 2/25/2019 at 3:58 PM, jpbends said:

Just spoke with the Ethnic Studies department at UCSD, they said final decisions will be available in two to three weeks. Fingers crossed for everyone!

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but the recruitment day is March 8th, so I'm not sure what this means for remaining acceptances/waitlists.

I've been wait listed at George Washington's American Studies program, but I'm curious to hear people's thoughts about the program? Do you know people who have attended their PhD program? If so, what has been their experience? They have amazing faculty, but curious to hear other people's thoughts about the quality of the program. Also, if I were to attend, should I be concerned about securing a job afterwards as a tenure track professor? 

Edited by youngblood79

On 2/27/2019 at 3:36 AM, jpbends said:

I don't want to be a bearer of bad news, but I applied for the NYU English PhD last year, and by this point they'd already sent decisions. I got notification of my referral and then acceptance into the English MA in mid-February, meaning they'd already decided on the PhD candidates.

Received an email that I'm waitlisted for NYU (English). That just leaves Rutgers in the air. Happy this is almost over.

I read the post where we are expecting to hear from UT Austin in the next week or so now, but does anyone have any insights on the current situation? not sure why they would send out waitlists and rejections but no mention of acceptances... unless those people happen to not use GC at all? 

it's one of my last programs to hear from and I am just ready for closure!

3 hours ago, sadgworl said:

I read the post where we are expecting to hear from UT Austin in the next week or so now, but does anyone have any insights on the current situation? not sure why they would send out waitlists and rejections but no mention of acceptances... unless those people happen to not use GC at all? 

No clue, but I hope someone from here gets in! After seeing so many waitlists, it'd be weirdly fulfilling to see someone I "know" get that brass ring. Good luck!

8 hours ago, sadgworl said:

Hi! I am so curious about this! Can you point me to the post about hearing in the next week? Also, I was under the impression that only waitlists had gone out; not rejections or admits? This whole thing is oddly stressful to me. Like you I am defiantly ready for closure. Any insight you can offer would be great. Thanks!

On 3/1/2019 at 11:22 PM, lissabennett1 said:

Hi! I am so curious about this! Can you point me to the post about hearing in the next week? Also, I was under the impression that only waitlists had gone out; not rejections or admits? This whole thing is oddly stressful to me. Like you I am defiantly ready for closure. Any insight you can offer would be great. Thanks!

Here's the post I was talking about (below)! You interacted with it so I'm assuming it's old news to you, @lissabennett1

On 2/22/2019 at 9:02 PM, princeleo said:

Reached out to the Graduate Coordinator last week and they told me that they were trying to notify students in three to four weeks (so two to three weeks now). But I'm taking that as an implied rejection since folks were already waitlisted (meaning they know who they accepted already?)

I haven't received anything of yet, so here's to fingers being crossed that it's a silent wait list and not an implied rejection.

10 hours ago, sadgworl said:

Here's the post I was talking about (below)! You interacted with it so I'm assuming it's old news to you, @lissabennett1

I haven't received anything of yet, so here's to fingers being crossed that it's a silent wait list and not an implied rejection.

Thank you for the reply. Oops. I didn’t realize it was the one I interacted with. I was hoping for fresh news as this situation seems so weird. But I’m crossing fingers with you that it is definitely not over. Best of luck!

How are people feeling? I hope the people who got rejected aren't too depressed. Now that I"m finishing up my Masters, I see that getting rejected isn't all a bad thing in every case. For me, if I get rejected from my final place, that will give me time to define my projects much more, and look at more programs and contact people, and find somewhere that will be a better fit. I know some of us are just trying to get the degree, and we are dealing with job insecurity and stuff. But I just wanted to throw that out there... and also trying to remind myself! I just saw someone say they're glad they were rejected bc it allowed them to refine their approach and they ended up getting into a top school. Personally I know my app wasn't what it could be, so I'm trying to see it as an opportunity... xx 

On 3/11/2019 at 12:11 PM, cables said:

How are people feeling? I hope the people who got rejected aren't too depressed. Now that I"m finishing up my Masters, I see that getting rejected isn't all a bad thing in every case. For me, if I get rejected from my final place, that will give me time to define my projects much more, and look at more programs and contact people, and find somewhere that will be a better fit. I know some of us are just trying to get the degree, and we are dealing with job insecurity and stuff. But I just wanted to throw that out there... and also trying to remind myself! I just saw someone say they're glad they were rejected bc it allowed them to refine their approach and they ended up getting into a top school. Personally I know my app wasn't what it could be, so I'm trying to see it as an opportunity... xx 

What a nice sentiment :) I washed out on american studies but have some options in comm, so it looks like I'm jumping fields again. This kind of attitude is something I'll miss though, AMST and identity studies folks are always so kind in a way that doesn't seem to be true in every field. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2019 at 12:11 PM, cables said:

still trying to build up the motivation to apply again...i know for sure my biggest weak point on my apps was my gre scores..so i'm not sure if i should give that another try since i already took it 3 times and improved each time yet my score still sucked...any prep program recommendations are highed needed right now