stressedandconfused

American Studies Fall 2019??

1 hour ago, ExileFromAFutureTime said:

Received my official rejection from Yale today. Haven't heard anything from Rutgers (English) or NYU (English) but assume both are rejections. If so, that's a wrap for me. 

I don't want to be a bearer of bad news, but I applied for the NYU English PhD last year, and by this point they'd already sent decisions. I got notification of my referral and then acceptance into the English MA in mid-February, meaning they'd already decided on the PhD candidates.

On 2/25/2019 at 3:58 PM, jpbends said:

Just spoke with the Ethnic Studies department at UCSD, they said final decisions will be available in two to three weeks. Fingers crossed for everyone!

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but the recruitment day is March 8th, so I'm not sure what this means for remaining acceptances/waitlists.

I've been wait listed at George Washington's American Studies program, but I'm curious to hear people's thoughts about the program? Do you know people who have attended their PhD program? If so, what has been their experience? They have amazing faculty, but curious to hear other people's thoughts about the quality of the program. Also, if I were to attend, should I be concerned about securing a job afterwards as a tenure track professor? 

Edited by youngblood79

5 hours ago, fululu94 said:

Has anyone (besides the one or two acceptances posted here) heard from Davis Cultural Studies?! 

I’ve applied but haven’t heard anything! 

On 2/27/2019 at 3:36 AM, jpbends said:

I don't want to be a bearer of bad news, but I applied for the NYU English PhD last year, and by this point they'd already sent decisions. I got notification of my referral and then acceptance into the English MA in mid-February, meaning they'd already decided on the PhD candidates.

Received an email that I'm waitlisted for NYU (English). That just leaves Rutgers in the air. Happy this is almost over.

Rejected from UCSD Ethnic Studies. Congratulations to everyone who was accepted

I read the post where we are expecting to hear from UT Austin in the next week or so now, but does anyone have any insights on the current situation? not sure why they would send out waitlists and rejections but no mention of acceptances... unless those people happen to not use GC at all? 

it's one of my last programs to hear from and I am just ready for closure!

3 hours ago, sadgworl said:

I read the post where we are expecting to hear from UT Austin in the next week or so now, but does anyone have any insights on the current situation? not sure why they would send out waitlists and rejections but no mention of acceptances... unless those people happen to not use GC at all? 

No clue, but I hope someone from here gets in! After seeing so many waitlists, it'd be weirdly fulfilling to see someone I "know" get that brass ring. Good luck!

8 hours ago, sadgworl said:

Hi! I am so curious about this! Can you point me to the post about hearing in the next week? Also, I was under the impression that only waitlists had gone out; not rejections or admits? This whole thing is oddly stressful to me. Like you I am defiantly ready for closure. Any insight you can offer would be great. Thanks!

On 3/1/2019 at 11:22 PM, lissabennett1 said:

Hi! I am so curious about this! Can you point me to the post about hearing in the next week? Also, I was under the impression that only waitlists had gone out; not rejections or admits? This whole thing is oddly stressful to me. Like you I am defiantly ready for closure. Any insight you can offer would be great. Thanks!

Here's the post I was talking about (below)! You interacted with it so I'm assuming it's old news to you, @lissabennett1

On 2/22/2019 at 9:02 PM, princeleo said:

Reached out to the Graduate Coordinator last week and they told me that they were trying to notify students in three to four weeks (so two to three weeks now). But I'm taking that as an implied rejection since folks were already waitlisted (meaning they know who they accepted already?)

I haven't received anything of yet, so here's to fingers being crossed that it's a silent wait list and not an implied rejection.

10 hours ago, sadgworl said:

Here's the post I was talking about (below)! You interacted with it so I'm assuming it's old news to you, @lissabennett1

I haven't received anything of yet, so here's to fingers being crossed that it's a silent wait list and not an implied rejection.

Thank you for the reply. Oops. I didn’t realize it was the one I interacted with. I was hoping for fresh news as this situation seems so weird. But I’m crossing fingers with you that it is definitely not over. Best of luck!

How are people feeling? I hope the people who got rejected aren't too depressed. Now that I"m finishing up my Masters, I see that getting rejected isn't all a bad thing in every case. For me, if I get rejected from my final place, that will give me time to define my projects much more, and look at more programs and contact people, and find somewhere that will be a better fit. I know some of us are just trying to get the degree, and we are dealing with job insecurity and stuff. But I just wanted to throw that out there... and also trying to remind myself! I just saw someone say they're glad they were rejected bc it allowed them to refine their approach and they ended up getting into a top school. Personally I know my app wasn't what it could be, so I'm trying to see it as an opportunity... xx 

On 3/11/2019 at 12:11 PM, cables said:

How are people feeling? I hope the people who got rejected aren't too depressed. Now that I"m finishing up my Masters, I see that getting rejected isn't all a bad thing in every case. For me, if I get rejected from my final place, that will give me time to define my projects much more, and look at more programs and contact people, and find somewhere that will be a better fit. I know some of us are just trying to get the degree, and we are dealing with job insecurity and stuff. But I just wanted to throw that out there... and also trying to remind myself! I just saw someone say they're glad they were rejected bc it allowed them to refine their approach and they ended up getting into a top school. Personally I know my app wasn't what it could be, so I'm trying to see it as an opportunity... xx 

What a nice sentiment :) I washed out on american studies but have some options in comm, so it looks like I'm jumping fields again. This kind of attitude is something I'll miss though, AMST and identity studies folks are always so kind in a way that doesn't seem to be true in every field. 

On 3/11/2019 at 12:11 PM, cables said:

still trying to build up the motivation to apply again...i know for sure my biggest weak point on my apps was my gre scores..so i'm not sure if i should give that another try since i already took it 3 times and improved each time yet my score still sucked...any prep program recommendations are highed needed right now

On 3/23/2019 at 7:22 PM, kp_87 said:

still trying to build up the motivation to apply again...i know for sure my biggest weak point on my apps was my gre scores..so i'm not sure if i should give that another try since i already took it 3 times and improved each time yet my score still sucked...any prep program recommendations are highed needed right now

Reaching out to say hello...

I did a round of PhD applications in 2015 and did not get accepted to all the three programs I applied to (not even waitlisted!). Cried for a week, picked myself up, and prepared for the next round of application (studied for the GRE, researched more PhD programs & professors, applied for external fellowships eligible for int'l student, etc). Tried again in 2016 and get accepted to 4 PhD programs out of 5. Currently attending ASE @ USC & now in my 2nd year. Years before that, I was rejected to the same scholarship program 3 years in a row to finally get it in the 4th year to do my MA!

If you didn't get into your dream program, don't give up! My lived experience (of rejections and failures) helps me grow as a scholar and a human being. It was hard, but I wouldn't do it any other way :)

Edited by Coffee Snob