stressedandconfused

American Studies Fall 2019??

11 minutes ago, 12307ctor said:

sure - I received a quick call from the DGS this morning. 

Wow, Congrats!! Hopefully the rest of us hear something soon too. So the agony of the waiting game can end.

6 minutes ago, princeleo said:

Wow, Congrats!! Hopefully the rest of us hear something soon too. So the agony of the waiting game can end.

Thank you! Fingers crossed that it all ends soon.

@12307ctor this is awesome news! Congratulations indeed! Did you apply to the combined American studies/African American studies or strictly American Studies?

Edited by Gatorgoddess
Grammar

3 minutes ago, Gatorgoddess said:

@12307ctor this is awesome news! Congratulations indeed! Did you apply to the combined American studies/African American studies or strictly American Studies?

strictly American Studies 

Hi. I’ve been lurking for a while but I was wondering if anyone has heard about UT Austin American Studies. I feel like I saw a post about waitlists but no admits? Nothing comes up on the results page. Thanks!

1 hour ago, lissabennett1 said:

Hi. I’ve been lurking for a while but I was wondering if anyone has heard about UT Austin American Studies. I feel like I saw a post about waitlists but no admits? Nothing comes up on the results page. Thanks!

Reached out to the Graduate Coordinator last week and they told me that they were trying to notify students in three to four weeks (so two to three weeks now). But I'm taking that as an implied rejection since folks were already waitlisted (meaning they know who they accepted already?)

47 minutes ago, princeleo said:

Reached out to the Graduate Coordinator last week and they told me that they were trying to notify students in three to four weeks (so two to three weeks now). But I'm taking that as an implied rejection since folks were already waitlisted (meaning they know who they accepted already?)

Thank you for the update. It’s so weird no one is claiming an offer, But I too am taking it as an implied rejection. Thanks again.

26 minutes ago, ExileFromAFutureTime said:

I suppose I should give up all hope for a positive answer from Yale. 

Feeling this as well. 

Wow, I did not realize there were forums on this site. Have only been checking the Results page - who knew there was this whole other space for me to bask in my anxiety and dread? Exciting!

@halcyonday @swarthmawr @FriendlyNeighborhoodWolf sooooo slow on the uptake but I am one of the UT Austin waitlisters, as well. Super weird that it seems no one has heard anything in any direction since the 6th. The way it's been in limbo for weeks has been giving me way more anxiety than any of the outright rejections. 

Congrats to all who have been accepted so far!

3 hours ago, sickeagle said:

If anyone is waiting to hear from University of Hawaiʻi for American Studies, they have started to send out decisions.

Do you know if its through email or via phone? 

1 hour ago, princeleo said:

Do you know if its through email or via phone? 

Email. Looks like historically the process can be somewhat drawn out. Good luck!

Just spoke with the Ethnic Studies department at UCSD, they said final decisions will be available in two to three weeks. Fingers crossed for everyone!

On 2/21/2019 at 6:53 AM, Noire et Étrange said:

(Sorry, I posted in an old account above) Hi everyone! I'm currently at Yale in African-American Studies & American Studies and just wanted to update... from what I understand decisions have yet to be released & they're supposed to come out late Feb. Also, if you have any questions about the program, feel free to PM me. 

Hey! Don’t mean to pester, but do you know or have you heard about whether or not Yale American Studies has sent all acceptances? I’ve only seen two people post their results, but it’s totally possible that the other (if any) admits haven’t.

As you can see, the anxiety is real lol

6 minutes ago, CeeJay46 said:

Well, as of last night I got my confirmation: for three years in a row I was not good enough for American Studies.

I guess I am done with that field.

Hey, I'm really sorry. For what it's worth, I don't think it's at all about "good enough," I think it's just an ever-tightening needle's eye of scholarship. I'm just finishing up an MA in AMST, and was told by several programs my work "didn't feel like American Studies".... despite having been produced in that field...... I think it's incredibly difficult to get a foot in when the field is so small. 

Thanks for the kind words. I really want to believe it is at least not all about quality, especially since I have at least some credentials (and two degrees from two countries) in that field....

It does seem like the field is really narrowing itself down to a very limited number of subjects, though...

Anyone waiting on Harvard AMST--if you haven't heard either way, I believe you can take it as an implied rejection. Called the dept and was told all acceptances/wait lists have been sent out. Congrats to those admitted, and, to the rest, I hope you are as relieved as I am to not be in the dark anymore! 

Hi folks,

I called the Yale Grad Admissions office (sorry Yale admins, if you are by any chance reading this- I am a total bug) and the nice person who took my call said that decisions should be going out in the next day or two. They said they did not have information on whether or not all offers of admission have been sent out, only that decisions (not sure which) would be going out sometime soon (in next couple days). It is possible that they have sent out all offers, but I suppose we'll know soon enough.

1 hour ago, needdat said:

Hi folks,

I called the Yale Grad Admissions office (sorry Yale admins, if you are by any chance reading this- I am a total bug) and the nice person who took my call said that decisions should be going out in the next day or two. They said they did not have information on whether or not all offers of admission have been sent out, only that decisions (not sure which) would be going out sometime soon (in next couple days). It is possible that they have sent out all offers, but I suppose we'll know soon enough.

Thanks for sharing the info. I have been lurking but I also applied to Yale American/AFam program and I am waiting for the results. It does seem folks who applied to the joint program are waiting while folks who just applied to the program have already been notified. I spoke to a grad student in the program back in Dec and it really seemed like a good program.