Fall 2019 - Comparative Literature

itslit

Hey guys,

Long time lurker here. I was wondering, what are your thoughts on Northwestern's admission process? I've seen a couple admittances and rejections on the board, yet I have not been notified. Weird, to say the least. I believe it's an implied rejection. Also, has anyone heard back from Brown or Princeton? 

Has anyone heard back about funding from UCSC comp. lit? I saw someone on the results board posting that they received the DGS email and are expecting funding info this week - can anyone expand on this?

On 2/13/2019 at 6:25 PM, DocSportello said:

Hey guys,

Long time lurker here. I was wondering, what are your thoughts on Northwestern's admission process? I've seen a couple admittances and rejections on the board, yet I have not been notified. Weird, to say the least. I believe it's an implied rejection. Also, has anyone heard back from Brown or Princeton? 

Hi! I got an offer from Northwestern, I think you might have to doublecheck with them if you did not get an answer but I was also invited to their grad event and they are flying people out... so it may be a rejection? or maybe they have several grad events? sorry, i don’t really know, first time applicant here. 

I was also wondering about people saying NYU is an implied rejection because they did not get offered an interview: is that their modus operandi? i thought maybe they were just interviewing people they were not sure about? again, not sure about this.

15 hours ago, Compele said:

Hi! I got an offer from Northwestern, I think you might have to doublecheck with them if you did not get an answer but I was also invited to their grad event and they are flying people out... so it may be a rejection? or maybe they have several grad events? sorry, i don’t really know, first time applicant here. 

I was also wondering about people saying NYU is an implied rejection because they did not get offered an interview: is that their modus operandi? i thought maybe they were just interviewing people they were not sure about? again, not sure about this.

Congratulations on your acceptance! It's a terrific program and I've heard the funding is great. Yeah, I'm almost sure that NW rejected me. It's unlikely that they'll have several campus visiting days. As of NYU, I think it's pretty much the same. They invite a list of potential candidates for a campus visit (I know somebody who was invited). Guess that anybody who's not on the list is not a finalist. On a side note, is there anyone who was interviewed by Penn? Does he/she know when they'll notify people waiting for a response?

It's sad this thread is petering out. Hope it's not an indication that comp lit is dying as a field...

Not certain if anyone here applied to UCSB's Comp Lit program. I had received results from all my other programs and emailed UCSB to see about the application status and was informed I have been waitlisted. I expected a rejection, as they interview in January and have visiting days in February, but it's good to know in any case. 

22 hours ago, DocSportello said:

Congratulations on your acceptance! It's a terrific program and I've heard the funding is great. Yeah, I'm almost sure that NW rejected me. It's unlikely that they'll have several campus visiting days. As of NYU, I think it's pretty much the same. They invite a list of potential candidates for a campus visit (I know somebody who was invited). Guess that anybody who's not on the list is not a finalist. On a side note, is there anyone who was interviewed by Penn? Does he/she know when they'll notify people waiting for a response?

It's sad this thread is petering out. Hope it's not an indication that comp lit is dying as a field...

Thank you very much! I am thrilled and cannot wait to visit campus, I have never been to Chicago so hoping I am going to like the city too. And thanks for the info about NYU! good luck with all your applications. 

I've been rejected from UT Austin and Northwestern for Comp lit, rejected by UC Berkeley for South Asian Studies Masters.

Had an interview with both UC Davis and UChicago, accepted by UChicago waiting on UC Davis and Rutgers for complit. 

Not heard from Penn for South Asian Studies Masters also. 

Very likely going to accept UChicago, it was my top option. Anyone else with an acceptance from UChicago? 

Edited by Shweta Swaminathan

Hi, hi! I'm happy to announce that I have been accepted to Michigan—my top choice. I still have a couple of programs to hear back from, but I am almost entirely certain that I will accept this offer of admission. Congratulations to you all on your acceptances, and to those still waiting to hear back, don't give up hope yet. Best of luck!

Hello pals! I don’t suppose any of you kind people would be willing to share your experiences interviewing for comp lit grad programs? I’m currently floundering working out how to prepare, and would be so so grateful if anyone could shed some light on the sorts of questions that are likely to come up. More than happy to chat in messenger if that’s easier than posting in the forum (and to identify any potential conflicts of interest - don’t want to step on anyone’s toes!), and I will of course report back with my own experiences for anyone in the same boat. Thanks so much in advance ☺️☺️

Edited by dreid

Hello, been lurking for a few weeks and finally decided to join. Has any of you heard back from Cornell Comp Lit yet? There is only one acceptance on the board, posted about a month ago, but I am starting to wonder whether it's a valid one, since it came in not even two weeks after the closing date for applications... Last year Cornell notified applicants on the 22nd, so I was hoping I'd hear something yesterday, but nothing on that front yet. The wait is becoming quite excruciating, especially because the end of February is drawing near and I'd like to start planning for other things if Cornell does fall through. Any idea on what could be delaying them this year? 

12 hours ago, OrpheusGaze said:

Hello, been lurking for a few weeks and finally decided to join. Has any of you heard back from Cornell Comp Lit yet? There is only one acceptance on the board, posted about a month ago, but I am starting to wonder whether it's a valid one, since it came in not even two weeks after the closing date for applications... Last year Cornell notified applicants on the 22nd, so I was hoping I'd hear something yesterday, but nothing on that front yet. The wait is becoming quite excruciating, especially because the end of February is drawing near and I'd like to start planning for other things if Cornell does fall through. Any idea on what could be delaying them this year? 

someone on the forum said Cornell is only accepting 2 people for comp lit this year- according to the person's call with someone on the adcom, so... good luck!

22 hours ago, Eucerin said:

someone on the forum said Cornell is only accepting 2 people for comp lit this year- according to the person's call with someone on the adcom, so... good luck!

Also someone already claimed one spot earlier in January. Though i think it might be misinformation. 

Fingers crossed for all