Jump to content
car.

MPH 2019 Canada - University of Alberta, Saskatchewan, Lakehead, SFU

Recommended Posts

Hey everyone.

I applied to the following MPH programs: University of Alberta, University of Saskatchewan, Lakehead and SFU. I've heard back from Saskatchewan so far (yay!)

I have a BSc in Global Health. My goal is to work in Health Promotion. I'd like to have temporary placements in different parts of the world (esp. Latin America), but my permanent goal is to work in Northern Canada (I'm from ON, but I currently live in NWT).

Could you share some thoughts on these different programs?

  • UofA: specialization on Health Promotion.
  • Saskatchewan: seems great, doesn't focus specifically on Health Promotion but I like the variety of courses (everything from Environmental PH to PH policy...).
  • Lakehead: specialization on Indigenous and Northern Health.
  • SFU: to be honest I don't know much about it. I applied because friends from BC highly recommended it ("It's the Harvard of the West Coast!")

----

Also, could someone clarify this from Saskatchewan: "The School of Public Health has reviewed your application and has recommended you for admission to the College of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (CGPS), which is the formal granting body for admissions. Once you accept your seat to the program, we send your information to CGPS for final review. From there, if they believe the student is a suitable candidate, they will send an official letter of acceptance via email and the student will be required to officially accept their seat via an online portal (PAWS). Admission may be revoked if students do not meet the criteria that CGPS has laid out in the official letter of acceptance. The deadline to accept your seat is March 1, 2019. "

How does that work? If I choose Saskatchewan, I'm scared to accept their offer, reject others, and then have their offer revoked and be left with no programs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2019 at 4:34 PM, car. said:

Hey everyone.

I applied to the following MPH programs: University of Alberta, University of Saskatchewan, Lakehead and SFU. I've heard back from Saskatchewan so far (yay!)

I have a BSc in Global Health. My goal is to work in Health Promotion. I'd like to have temporary placements in different parts of the world (esp. Latin America), but my permanent goal is to work in Northern Canada (I'm from ON, but I currently live in NWT).

Could you share some thoughts on these different programs?

  • UofA: specialization on Health Promotion.
  • Saskatchewan: seems great, doesn't focus specifically on Health Promotion but I like the variety of courses (everything from Environmental PH to PH policy...).
  • Lakehead: specialization on Indigenous and Northern Health.
  • SFU: to be honest I don't know much about it. I applied because friends from BC highly recommended it ("It's the Harvard of the West Coast!")

----

Also, could someone clarify this from Saskatchewan: "The School of Public Health has reviewed your application and has recommended you for admission to the College of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (CGPS), which is the formal granting body for admissions. Once you accept your seat to the program, we send your information to CGPS for final review. From there, if they believe the student is a suitable candidate, they will send an official letter of acceptance via email and the student will be required to officially accept their seat via an online portal (PAWS). Admission may be revoked if students do not meet the criteria that CGPS has laid out in the official letter of acceptance. The deadline to accept your seat is March 1, 2019. "

How does that work? If I choose Saskatchewan, I'm scared to accept their offer, reject others, and then have their offer revoked and be left with no programs. 

Hi there. I received the same letter from Sask. You basically just have to confirm your interest to get final acceptance. I would accept this just to be safe as my understanding is there is no down payment or anything at this stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HPRO said:

Hi there. I received the same letter from Sask. You basically just have to confirm your interest to get final acceptance. I would accept this just to be safe as my understanding is there is no down payment or anything at this stage.

Thanks, and congratulations!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2019 at 2:34 PM, car. said:

Hey everyone.

I applied to the following MPH programs: University of Alberta, University of Saskatchewan, Lakehead and SFU. I've heard back from Saskatchewan so far (yay!)

I have a BSc in Global Health. My goal is to work in Health Promotion. I'd like to have temporary placements in different parts of the world (esp. Latin America), but my permanent goal is to work in Northern Canada (I'm from ON, but I currently live in NWT).

Could you share some thoughts on these different programs?

  • UofA: specialization on Health Promotion.
  • Saskatchewan: seems great, doesn't focus specifically on Health Promotion but I like the variety of courses (everything from Environmental PH to PH policy...).
  • Lakehead: specialization on Indigenous and Northern Health.
  • SFU: to be honest I don't know much about it. I applied because friends from BC highly recommended it ("It's the Harvard of the West Coast!")

----

Also, could someone clarify this from Saskatchewan: "The School of Public Health has reviewed your application and has recommended you for admission to the College of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (CGPS), which is the formal granting body for admissions. Once you accept your seat to the program, we send your information to CGPS for final review. From there, if they believe the student is a suitable candidate, they will send an official letter of acceptance via email and the student will be required to officially accept their seat via an online portal (PAWS). Admission may be revoked if students do not meet the criteria that CGPS has laid out in the official letter of acceptance. The deadline to accept your seat is March 1, 2019. "

How does that work? If I choose Saskatchewan, I'm scared to accept their offer, reject others, and then have their offer revoked and be left with no programs. 

Did u received offer from lakehead? I choose the same institutions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Kingkong55555 said:

Did u received offer from lakehead? I choose the same institutions

I never completed my application to Lakehead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.