2019 Waitlist Thread

Izakawa

Hi all,

I noticed that there is no waitlist thread for 2019 applications. Let's share all together!

Currently, I am waitlisted from two programs. Fingers crossed?

2 hours ago, TheDarkOne said:

Got waitlisted today at UCSD! On a sunday, wasn't even hoping for an answer today.

Should I reply to the program director thanking him for the waitlist consideration? Or is it annoying the guy?

No harm in replying and thanking them/showing your excitement.  They'll largely ignore you email, but who doesn't like thank you emails?

Hey, thanks for starting this @Izakawa. How are y'all planning on playing this out? I got waitlisted at Cornell for a Communication PhD and its really a strong fit for me. Are y'all just going to wait until April 15th and if a spot opens up take it? I was kinda bummed cause I was hoping to get an opportunity to fly out to Ithaca (on Cornell's penny rather than my own preferably) to visit and really see if it as strong a fit as I think (compared to other programs I have been to a met with faculty, Cornell I've had good convos with faculty but kinda want to meet other students, see the facilities and get a better sense of the program you know?) 

Obviously still waiting on word from other programs (got one acceptance, and interviewed with two [Cornell being one] got waitlisted from them). I'm still waiting on word from 7 other programs. Curious to know what y'all thinking of working with the waitlist situation. 

I am waitlisted for the Political Science PhD program of the University of Iowa. 

I am extremely sad and nervous. Iowa is my dream.

I don't know whether Iowa's waitlist is just a euphemism of rejection. The director of this program told that they thought my application was quite strong, but I have no idea whether everyone on the waitlist received this sentence.

Did anyone receive the same letter? Or the offer or rejection of the UIOWA?

I was told that I'm one of two people on the waitlist for my subfield in a history PhD program--apparently no particular order for the two of us on the waitlist for the spot. Dept head wrote to say that they probably won't know for sure until mid-April. Not holding my breath--but maybe #1 got offered a spot at Yale and go there instead (please do!).    

Was waitlisted at one school that only accepted 3 total applicants to each of their graduate fields this year. Once I found that out I wasn't too upset about it, being on a waitlist for one of three spots seems like a pretty good outcome to me. Still waiting to hear back from all the other schools though...

Waitlisted... I emailed the my POI who recommended me to the admissions committee and she responded "Good. I think there is a good chance you will get it." Trying to keep positive but the wait is going to kill me! Here's hoping I hear back soonish and not on April 14 (which is good for me too!)

Been pretty down due to getting waitlisted after many great interviews, but I did get some nice news today. I just heard from my PI at DREAM SCHOOL, who told me I was #1 on his lab's waitlist, but that there's only 1 spot available this year. Now they're waiting to see if the other person will accept before giving me a final answer. He encouraged me to apply again next year if I didn't make it off this year, and he apologized for not being able to accept me yet.

43 minutes ago, itheproofofstupidity said:

What do people generally think is the earliest one can expect to hear back from waitlists?

Got waitlisted at three schools and no acceptances. Keeping all fingers and toes crossed until I finally hear back!

The same situation. Got waitlisted at three different schools. I guess, we should hear by April 15. LOL