Jump to content
Izakawa

2019 Waitlist Thread

Recommended Posts

Just now, sgaw10 said:

Hahaha, thank you. I guess the worst thing is that he doesn't respond, and I feel like it's getting to the point where it's now or never, even if they haven't even sent out acceptances to their first choice applicants yet. I hope the application season is treating you well.

YESS do it.

The application season is ok – I only applied to one program and it's extremely selective, so I didn't think I'd get in. Well, it turns out I did a good enough job to be #1 on the waitlist for only 1 spot. So now I'm just waiting around to see if 1 person turns down this prestigious exciting offer or not.... yay....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found I'm waitlisted of Brock's MPH. This is the only school I applied and hope that I get in regardless of my position on the waitlist.

 I didn't think I'd get in because I did not meet the minimum required GPA(which was 80%), but once I saw I've been on the waitlist, I am hoping to get in. 

Having said that, does anyone know how many people on the waitlist can get in?

Anyhow, hope for the best to everyone who's waiting out for this. 

 

 

Edited by yyoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, aggiezone said:

YESS do it.

The application season is ok – I only applied to one program and it's extremely selective, so I didn't think I'd get in. Well, it turns out I did a good enough job to be #1 on the waitlist for only 1 spot. So now I'm just waiting around to see if 1 person turns down this prestigious exciting offer or not.... yay....

Ooooof, that's tough. I hope this person decides ASAP and in your favor!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, sgaw10 said:

Ooooof, that's tough. I hope this person decides ASAP and in your favor!

Thanks!! Honestly my backup plan is great, I have a really nice job offer in a great city. Plus, the PI said he really hopes I reapply if he can't admit me this year. So things will be ok if I don't get in, but I just want to KNOW!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone, I've been on the waitlist since mid-Feb and don't think there will be movement until April :( Yesterday, I had followed up with PI and he said he has heard nothing as well. Does this mean my program's committee does not inform PI about anything?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hey guys. so i've been waitlisted for GaTech's Mechanical Engineering PhD program. I've tried contacting profs but all of them have "seen-zoned" me and arent replying. And i literally have no information on which stage my application is at and its nearly end of March. Granted they said wait it out ill april 15th but i havent seen any admits on the results page either. I've gotten a lot of rejections already (international student with a bachelors) and i have no idea why GaTech hasn't rejected me already? Too scared to stay hopeful but I can't let it go either. Guess Im in the middle of a crisis. Do ya'll have any info on GaTech? Nevertheless good luck to all of you !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, aggiezone said:

I have no information for you but I relate to this so much. Why won't my program just reject me already??? Then I can at least move on with my life

I feel this so, so much. I'm in grad school purgatory over here with no news from my top choice, but also no rejection. Just reject me already so I can accept my 2nd choice offer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was waitlisted at a school that will start accepting people from the waitlist starting April 16 and ending June 1. 

I was admitted to my next choice school. It requires me to submit a SIR (statement of intent to register) on April 15.

Is it "OK" to sign an SIR for one school and then (if I'm lucky enough to get into the other school) go to the other school? I don't mind losing the $150 deposit.

Should I tell the school where I've been accepted that I've been waitlisted at the other? Should I tell the school where I've been waitlisted that I've been accepted at the other?

Edited by norvos90004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, norvos90004 said:

I was waitlisted at a school that will start accepting people from the waitlist starting April 16 and ending June 1. 

I was admitted to my next choice school. It requires me to submit a SIR (statement of intent to register) on April 15.

Is it "OK" to sign an SIR for one school and then (if I'm lucky enough to get into the other school) go to the other school? I don't mind losing the $150 deposit.

Should I tell the school where I've been accepted that I've been waitlisted at the other? Should I tell the school where I've been waitlisted that I've been accepted at the other?

I think that is normally frowned on (someone correct me if I'm wrong). This is why most people will reach out to their waitlist programs and ask them to expedite decisions and let them know of your deadline but also that you're very interested in the waitlisted program. Aside from losing deposit, I've heard it would burn bridges which would make a continued career in academia more difficult. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A potential future advisor from a program I have been waitlisted from reached out to me and let me know she is giving me a graduate research assistantship to fund me from her grant! However, I still have not yet received admission... At this program, first years normally get funding from the school and then need to find faculty to fund them beginning in the second year. I feel like I leap frogged and received funding before securing admission! If a professor has already secured funding for me, does this mean I will likely be admitted?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, norvos90004 said:

I was waitlisted at a school that will start accepting people from the waitlist starting April 16 and ending June 1. 

I was admitted to my next choice school. It requires me to submit a SIR (statement of intent to register) on April 15.

Is it "OK" to sign an SIR for one school and then (if I'm lucky enough to get into the other school) go to the other school? I don't mind losing the $150 deposit.

Should I tell the school where I've been accepted that I've been waitlisted at the other? Should I tell the school where I've been waitlisted that I've been accepted at the other?

As @itheproofofstupidity said, it would be smart to email the school your waitlisted at. Did you receive funding from the school that admitted you? If not, you could ask them to extend your SIR deadline on financial grounds (even if funding from the other school is unlikely). Programs are generally understanding when it comes to money matters; even if they can't extend the deadline, asking won't reflect poorly on you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone! Jumping in here to see if anyone has advice. I am unofficially waitlisted at my top choice school (Performance Studies), and have acceptances at two others (Performance and Dance Studies). The POI where I'm waitlisted just emailed saying she has no news about my application but is wondering if I would be willing to share if I have received other offers. Anyone familiar with something like this? Is it good to share that I have other offers because they may want to extend an offer to compete with them? Or is it more likely that they will not extend an offer because they know I can go somewhere else? Any help is super appreciated!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, gingyfish said:

Hi everyone! Jumping in here to see if anyone has advice. I am unofficially waitlisted at my top choice school (Performance Studies), and have acceptances at two others (Performance and Dance Studies). The POI where I'm waitlisted just emailed saying she has no news about my application but is wondering if I would be willing to share if I have received other offers. Anyone familiar with something like this? Is it good to share that I have other offers because they may want to extend an offer to compete with them? Or is it more likely that they will not extend an offer because they know I can go somewhere else? Any help is super appreciated!!

From what I've seen, this is considered inadvisable. The only time it's wise to mention other offers is when you're negotiating funding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, feralgrad said:

From what I've seen, this is considered inadvisable. The only time it's wise to mention other offers is when you're negotiating funding.

Thanks @feralgrad! Any idea why they would ask me this directly? I found it a little odd, but also don't want to come off as rude if I choose not to tell them in my reply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gingyfish said:

Thanks @feralgrad! Any idea why they would ask me this directly? I found it a little odd, but also don't want to come off as rude if I choose not to tell them in my reply.

Oof, sorry, I completely misread your original post. If they asked you directly, feel free to say so, especially if you were accepted into prestigious programs and/or received funding offers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, feralgrad said:

Oof, sorry, I completely misread your original post. If they asked you directly, feel free to say so, especially if you were accepted into prestigious programs and/or received funding offers.

Ahhh ok! Thanks! Hopefully it's a good sign!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gingyfish said:

Ahhh ok! Thanks! Hopefully it's a good sign!

Yes, I think it's a good sign! Your POI wouldn't take the time to contact you if they weren't very interested in you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, gingyfish said:

Thanks @feralgrad! Any idea why they would ask me this directly? I found it a little odd, but also don't want to come off as rude if I choose not to tell them in my reply.

I've heard that knowing if you have other offers gives them a reason to not extend you an offer (i.e. they think it'll make you less likely to accept even if you say it's your top choice). I was told this directly during two of my interview weekends. 

Edit: In addition to hearing this from graduate students from the two schools above, I was directly asked what schools I was accepted to in my first interview (super unprofessional) and I didn't want to lie or be sassy and tell them that it was an inappropriate question and I was waitlisted by the school. 

Edited by crackademik

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, crackademik said:

I've heard that knowing if you have other offers gives them a reason to not extend you an offer (i.e. they think it'll make you less likely to accept even if you say it's your top choice). I was told this directly during two of my interview weekends. 

Mmmmmm this is what I was a little bit worried about. That is how my MA program handled their acceptances - one prof even paternalistically told me "if we know a student has a good adoptive parent [school] we let our kids go and select someone else who doesn't." I got a heads up that someone was going to reject their offer to the school where I'm waitlisted a few weeks ago, so I'm guessing they are now choosing who to select in their place now. Just not sure how to navigate this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gingyfish said:

I got a heads up that someone was going to reject their offer to the school where I'm waitlisted a few weeks ago, so I'm guessing they are now choosing who to select in their place now. Just not sure how to navigate this one.

I think you can both answer their question and deflect a little bit. You could tell them: "I have received offers at two other programs. {Program} is my top choice, and if accepted, I would definitely attend." That way you answer their question, but they won't be worried you'd turn them down!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, aggiezone said:

I think you can both answer their question and deflect a little bit. You could tell them: "I have received offers at two other programs. {Program} is my top choice, and if accepted, I would definitely attend." That way you answer their question, but they won't be worried you'd turn them down!

 

Brilliant! Thanks so much everyone!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gingyfish said:

Brilliant! Thanks so much everyone!!

We're all rooting for you!!! And living through your situation as we agonizingly wait for developments in our own 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys! After being waitlisted at four schools, I finally got off the waitlist at my top choice! It seems the reason I got off the waitlist is because a faculty member has offered to fund me from her outside grant whereas the department usually funds first year students which I assume is usually the limiting factor for admissions. This is good news for me as I will have an RAship on day one with the professor I wanted to work with most (wrote my SoP about her work). There is light at the end of the tunnel!! Hang in there everyone. Wishing everyone good news soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, itheproofofstupidity said:

Guys! After being waitlisted at four schools, I finally got off the waitlist at my top choice! It seems the reason I got off the waitlist is because a faculty member has offered to fund me from her outside grant whereas the department usually funds first year students which I assume is usually the limiting factor for admissions. This is good news for me as I will have an RAship on day one with the professor I wanted to work with most (wrote my SoP about her work). There is light at the end of the tunnel!! Hang in there everyone. Wishing everyone good news soon. 

I am so glad that you got off the waitlist at your top choice!! Congrats!! I envy you (positively 😂)

I have been waitlisted for almost two months now at one school, and I feel anxious. I am not even sure that I should send an email to the program coordinator (= a professor) for additional information regarding the waitlist. 😨😥

Edited by rooftop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.