Creative Writing MFA applicants forum 2019

mjm7668

Does this exist? I felt like there should be a place where we can post on here (I know about the MFA draft facebook but that thing stresses me out.) So far I've been rejected by Ohio State and I still have pending: Michener, New Writers Project, Michigan, UMass Amherst, NYU, Brown, Houston. What about y'all? 

Edited by mjm7668

Was hoping someone would start this! I just discovered this site a week ago and it's a blessing and a curse but it's nice to not be in the waiting game alone! I feel like I can't think about anything else for longer than five minutes without me needing to check my email or this site to see if any of the schools I applied to have started getting back!

Sorry to hear about Ohio State ? but it's so early in the process and you have a nice mix so the future is bright! I'm awaiting the first rejection just so I can rip that initial band aid off. 

I applied to: Iowa, Michigan, University of Arizona, University of Wisconsin, University of Oregon, Texas State, Irvine, Ole Miss, UNC Wilmington and Boise state. 

Do you know when schools start getting back? At first I thought it was March for most, but after thoroughly stalking last year's threads it looks like if you're accepted you tend to find out early/mid feb....AH.

Good luck everyone!! We got this!!

I was hoping to find a thread like this! I just got my own rejection from Ohio State yesterday (at least they were quick about it!), but the world still turns and the creeping dread hopefully won't set in until 3-4 more programs turn me down. I was expecting March as well, so if the bulk of the programs I've applied to get back to me by the end of February, I'd be thrilled. I applied to almost all my schools on October 1st, so it feels like I've been waiting about 30 years to hear back.

Still waiting on: Michigan, Minnesota (expecting to hear from them next), Syracuse, University of Arizona, Arizona State,  University of Nevada, Virginia Commonwealth, and Colorado State.

Best of luck to everyone!

Hello Everyone,

Really happy to see this thread! I've heard back from Miami University Ohio with an acceptance to the fiction program. Them responding so early has stressed me out about the rest of them, though. Especially since they only give me until March 15 to decide. Still waiting on: Syracuse, Cornell, Brown, ASU, BU, SF State, WUSTL, and USF. 

Good luck everybody, please keep us posted!

17 hours ago, rosemix2 said:

Was hoping someone would start this! I just discovered this site a week ago and it's a blessing and a curse but it's nice to not be in the waiting game alone! I feel like I can't think about anything else for longer than five minutes without me needing to check my email or this site to see if any of the schools I applied to have started getting back!

Sorry to hear about Ohio State ? but it's so early in the process and you have a nice mix so the future is bright! I'm awaiting the first rejection just so I can rip that initial band aid off. 

I applied to: Iowa, Michigan, University of Arizona, University of Wisconsin, University of Oregon, Texas State, Irvine, Ole Miss, UNC Wilmington and Boise state. 

Do you know when schools start getting back? At first I thought it was March for most, but after thoroughly stalking last year's threads it looks like if you're accepted you tend to find out early/mid feb....AH.

Good luck everyone!! We got this!!

Hey, I just graduated from Texas State! Best of luck to you!

I've been freaking out, too. Got rejected from Ohio State earlier this week, and based on last year, should be hearing back from WUSTL within the next few weeks (but I know the midwest is really going through it right now). Applied to Ohio State, Michigan, UC Boulder, University North Carolina at Greensboro, Portland State, WUSTL, Boise State, and North Carolina State. Fingers crossed---I've looked at stats from previous years and I don't think I'm gonna hear back from anyone until March, so I'm sweating. It's gonna be such a long semester. 

Hey all!! 

Thought I would let everyone know that there’s a new Facebook group (some of us were also stressed out by Draft) it’s not super serious but there’s a very active group chat to accompany it! It’s a closed group called “a n g s t”. 

Theres about 15-20 of us and we’d love the company! 

1 hour ago, OnBeingKenn said:

Hey all!! 

Thought I would let everyone know that there’s a new Facebook group (some of us were also stressed out by Draft) it’s not super serious but there’s a very active group chat to accompany it! It’s a closed group called “a n g s t”. 

Theres about 15-20 of us and we’d love the company! 

I quit MFA Draft after one day. 'twas too much for this already-frazzled soul...

I've been looking for "a n g s t" on Facebook, but can't seem to find it. Is there something else I could type on the search box to bring it up, perhaps?

Hey y’all! Glad to see this thread—I also didn’t really want to participate in the MFA Draft, but I’ll keep an eye out for a n g s t. 

I also got rejected from Ohio, but I have eight more applications in the running: Oregon State (fiction&poetry), Colorado State (fiction&poetry), Wisconsin-Madison (poetry), NC Wilmington (fiction), and publishing MA’s at DePaul and Emerson. I couldn’t pick a genre so I decided to just apply double to a couple of programs and let them decide what I’m better at lol

Has anyone began to hear back from schools? I am noticing a lot of the Ph.D./MA programs are posting results.

Congrats to everyone who has received acceptances.

Edit: (Also, I just sent a request to A N G S T).

Double Edit: I applied to University of Virginia, Cornell, UW Madison, Bard, and SF State.

Edited by Thursby

This waiting is rough. I applied to Colorado State, Boston University, Arizona State, University of Oregon, and University of Washington. All in fiction (Colorado state I applied to both fiction and Literature). I haven't heard back from anyone yet, but it seems like U of O has started to send out wait lists? I'm not 100% sure though. I'm super nervous. I wish they'd just send out notices already! This is my first time applying and hopefully my last! 

3 hours ago, sonervous said:

Has anyone also in the waitlist for Minnesota? Was ranking signed? 

Haven't heard anything from Minnesota. Makes me very nervous, since I know some people have already gotten acceptance calls from them. I'm assuming I'm in the reject pile at this point.

Just sent in a request to ANGST. I didn't even look at Draft, seemed like a horror. I only applied to four schools, all within NYC (NYU, New School, Hunter, and Brooklyn College). Haven't heard anything yet. I think NYU is starting acceptances soon, but don't know. This is my first tentative toe in the water as far as grad school-- I've been out of undergrad for a few years. I'd always intended to go for playwriting, but fiction keeps forcibly dragging me back into its sticky clutches. So here I am. Best of luck to everyone !

Hi all. 

I just sent my request to a n g s t and the draft. Also, I applied to 10 schools. All MFA Nonfiction. 

• American U (Accepted)
  • SCAD (Accepted)

• Northwestern (Rejected)

• Notre Dame (Waiting)
  • UC Davis (Waiting)
  • WashU (Waiting)
  • Nevada (Waiting)
  • Alabama (Waiting)
  • The New School (Waiting)
  • Louisiana State University (Waiting)

Good Luck to All! 

Has Iowa started giving in notifications? Saw in the results section that some people got acceptance emails. I emailed them, but they said notifications are typically sent in the first week of March ?

Heeeyy all. This thread is so dope. I am so glad I discovered it. I have been freaking out so much, I have to remind myself to breathe. I received my first rejection letter yesterday from University of California San Diego and it sent me into a mini panic. Waiting on responses from Arizona, Michigan State, Syracuse, Brown, Rutgers, Miami Ohio, WUSTL, and Virginia Tech... Any news on any of those? The next two weeks feel like eternity stretched out. I have to constantly remind myself even if I am rejected by all of them it is not a measure of my abilities lol.