Columbia SIPA 2019

hammyc

I was accepted to the MPA in Environmental Science and Policy. I'm in a sticky situation now of having to confirm my attendance before the end of February. Most decisions from the other programs I've applied to don't come out until March. Because of that, I lack the leverage of other offers to request more funding from SIPA. Does anyone have advice on what I should do? I was thinking of requesting for an extension to my deadline, then requesting more funding.

I also thought that this would be a good opportunity to start the 2019 thread. Ayyone else get in?

Congratulations on your acceptance, @hammyc! I would definitely request an extension to that deadline, the worst they can do is say no! I would also do more GradCafe research to see how successful SIPA students are at requesting additional financial aid.  

I am encountering a similar situation as I've already got into a school with rolling admissions (MIIS) but the rest I am waiting until March for as well. MIIS is asking me to confirm my attendance by March 8th. It gave me a disappointing financial package, however, I've read that very few people have been able to get more funding (if anything that offer failed to make the school move up from 4th on the list of the 5 places I'm applying). I also was told during my interview that I was asking for a lot of funding. So I'm going to see if I can extend the deadline until the end of March if possible. If that's not possible, I'm going to research whether or not the enrollment deposit is refundable.

I applied to SIPA for the MIA before the regular fellowship consideration deadline, so I won't hear back until mid-March. I have great experience and undergrad grades but did poorly on the quant. section of the GRE. I used the quantitative resume to point out how well I did in the higher level econ classes I have taken and I hope that'll work in my favor. SIPA's my reach school so I'm not feeling confident about my chances, but I think I have the type of work experience they're looking for and my undergrad institution is one of the top IR schools (American), so I think having done well in that program will help me. 

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, BENJA96 said:

Surprised there isn’t more here... anyone else waiting to hear about MPA

I’m waiting on MIA. I have a feeling this Friday is the day, but that may just be wishful thinking. I don’t think I’ll get in, so I’m not sure why I’m even invested in the decision.

Got an early decision offer for the MPA-DP. Haven’t heard back on funding, but I’ve heard quite terrible things about SIPA so will most likely be rejecting the offer. Any thoughts on Fletcher (MALD), McCourt (MIDP) and Berkeley (MDP)?

4 hours ago, Naellien said:

Got an early decision offer for the MPA-DP. Haven’t heard back on funding, but I’ve heard quite terrible things about SIPA so will most likely be rejecting the offer. Any thoughts on Fletcher (MALD), McCourt (MIDP) and Berkeley (MDP)?

What kind of terrible things have you heard? I'm visiting this weekend so it would be great to know what I should keep my eyes open for!

8 hours ago, Naellien said:

Hi! 

I also applied to the MPA-DP program but I have no answer yet. What kind of things have you heard about SIPA? Did they offer you financial aid? 

I´ve got accepted on the MIDP from Georgetown but with small financial aid. I´m looking for scholarships or loans info, so if any of you have some info. Please share it with us. 

Thanks! 

@twenty-seven It looks like they might - but according to the results page from last year people recorded either receiving the email to check their application portal on the 9th or 10th. Their office isn't opened on Saturdays so maybe they automated the emails to be sent staggered? 

I will probably be checking my application portal once an...hour...until that email comes though...just in case... #anxious :) 

I applied to two programs at Columbia - one in the GSAS and another in SIPA. For what it’s worth, I heard from the GSAS today! Hopefully the same can be said for SIPA.

On 3/6/2019 at 6:25 PM, Naellien said:

Like many other SIPA applicants, I would also like to know the "terrible things" you've heard about them.

3 minutes ago, Theevidentevaluator said:

Any predictions as to which day we'll be notified of our decisions on? Every day lies in "mid-March". 

My nerves are on fire! I feel like maybe today is the day :P