Columbia SIPA 2019

hammyc

13 minutes ago, Spurs said:

I think the people who already got funding applied to programs other than MIA. The ones who have no funding info yet all applied to MIA.

No, I applied to MIA and I emailed the financial aid office and they confirmed no funding. I think it's just if you got a link you got funding and if you didn't then you didn't get any... So sad haha I def can't go to SIPA without some form of funding.

14 minutes ago, maddie92 said:

For those who did not get a funding letter, did your offer letters include the following sentence?

"In a few weeks you will receive specific information on the cost of attendance and possible sources of aid."

I looked at forums from previous years which seemed to imply that if you didn't have a funding letter with your offer of admission then that meant that you were not offered any funding. I'm wondering if this phrase in my letter refers to loans and/or work study or if there is a possibility to hear about scholarships later on? How do other people interpret this?

I am thinking that sentence means that we didn't receive funding. But I'm going to email the financial office about my specific case for clarification. 

Edited by Theevidentevaluator

9 minutes ago, worldleader2018 said:

Does SIPA negotiate at all, based on scholarships recieved from other schools of similar caliber? 

I've heard of people successfully negotiating with SIPA, and I'm definitely going to give it a shot. 

56 minutes ago, worldleader2018 said:

Does SIPA negotiate at all, based on scholarships recieved from other schools of similar caliber? 

I hope so! I have a good offer from another program at Columbia that I’m hoping to use as a bit of leverage.

2 hours ago, iamemily03 said:

Hoping to negotiate as well!  Any thoughts on whether paying full price is worth it?

I second @iamemily03. Although first off I don't even know how I'd go affording the first year with no funding, even if I bet on getting an assistantship in my second year. In the best possible scenario maybe I'll receive the $25,000 federal unsubsidized loan and a $62,395 graduate PLUS loan. But $87,395 is a lot of money to ask of someone, even if the Columbia name is attached to it. Given that I want to go into the public service (like most of us), I don't even see myself making $87,395 until mid-career. And a TA position in the second year only takes off $12,000 in tuition. I feel like it would be a burden I would probably be carrying around with for the rest of my life.

So definitely up for negotiating, and if I don't get any money from that, I've received much better offers elsewhere. The whole point of graduate school is to open up your career possibilities and if my options are limited to careers that I don't feel passionate about (even if they're high-paying) in order to pay off my debt it's not worth it. 

Edited by Theevidentevaluator

4 hours ago, Theevidentevaluator said:

By the way, I got confirmation from the International Fellows contacts. If you didn't receive note of getting into the program in the acceptance letter, you weren't selected for the cohort.

Thanks for informing! 

21 hours ago, maddie92 said:

I've heard of people successfully negotiating with SIPA, and I'm definitely going to give it a shot. 

I currently hold a similar scholarship offer from Tufts -MALD in absolute terms which totals to about 30% of my tuition fee at SIPA. Would that even work as a leverage to ask for something better?

I also got admitted to SIPA with no funding. I'm already on the UN's YPP list which will most likely lead to an employment opportunity with that organization sometime in the next 3 years regardless of what else I do. I'm also waiting to hear back from some cheaper programs, in Europe, etc. So I feel like unless they change their mind and offer me more funding during their reconsideration period, there is no way SIPA is justifiable for me, unfortunately.

Just got the email on aid. No specific amount and says we can only be considered for any form of assistance if we file for FAFSA...would’ve been nice to know 2 months ago when we were applying

For my part I did file for FAFSA and still didn't get offered aid. Most SIPA students don't get any aid, from what I've read.

EDIT: Also, I think they did have something in their application about the need to file for FAFSA, but it was a couple months ago so not positive.

Edited by Elf2019

Could somebody help me out with an average cost of attendance for the 21 months MPA at SIPA?

I am super confused in terms of the online info as it showcases 87k for 2019-20. So will the double of the same amount be for 20-21? How does it work?

10 hours ago, Pj2401 said:

Could somebody help me out with an average cost of attendance for the 21 months MPA at SIPA?

I am super confused in terms of the online info as it showcases 87k for 2019-20. So will the double of the same amount be for 20-21? How does it work?

Yes, that amount is for one year, including living expenses. You have to double it for a two year program.

Also got into SIPA (no funding) and am considering whether or not I will go. Would appreciate any thoughts on why folks here are going to SIPA (or why they are not going - especially as it relates to the quality of the school/education, and not the cost). @Naellien What are the horrible things you have heard? Thanks!

I am about to decline my offer to the MPA-ESP and I can't believe I am about to say no to Columbia. It's been a dream school of mine for a while now but I just can't justify the cost for a 1-year program. I can't imagine the burden of a two-year program. 

I received aid of $15,000 so I hope it goes to someone who would benefit from it more than I would. 

I too got accepted to SIPA. However, I am having trouble to accept my offer- the portal keeps taking me back to the original 'apply' page and I am stuck in the loop. Can anybody help me- anyone has similar problem while accepting the offer or enrolling themselves for the programme?

Hi all, I also got in with no funding. Being an international student and going back to public sector for my career, I just don't think that I can ever earn back the tuition I pay... I think I will definitely give a shot for arguing aids.