Columbia SIPA 2019

hammyc

I think I'll be turning down my admission to the MIA program in favor of SAIS. As someone looking to work in DC, SAIS makes more sense for me both professionally and financially (SIPA having offered no aid). I hope someone on the waitlist can take my place!

2 hours ago, worldleader2018 said:

I am nearly set on attending Columbia. Looking forward to it based on more research I've done. Anyone leaning toward a yes here?

I also heavily leaning towards a yes! Going to observe a class this week and hope to also attend accepted students day, but I am excited.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else receive responses on their financial aid appeals?

Though I was graciously offered $16,000/yr, I filed an appeal just before the Friday deadline. Literally three hours later, I was informed that my fellowship had been increased to $28,000.

I'm very grateful for the extra funding, but a little baffled by the quick response. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Uh oh, what was the Friday deadline? Wanted to attend another open house before I sent an appeal in and that was on Friday so sending on by Monday but wasn't aware there was another deadline for making an appeal...

37 minutes ago, jbc17 said:

Uh oh, what was the Friday deadline? Wanted to attend another open house before I sent an appeal in and that was on Friday so sending on by Monday but wasn't aware there was another deadline for making an appeal...

Yes, the deadline for funding appeals was 5 p.m. Friday :(

It wasn't really publicized; you had to take initiative in emailing them, and then they replied with a form to fill out. I'm kicking myself for not asking for more money because they gave me close to what I requested. Honestly didn't expect anything because I didn't even have a competing offer to leverage.

I guess you can still try emailing them. With the April 15 deadline approaching, they'll probably have some extra money freed up.

9 minutes ago, lost_in_translation said:

Yes, the deadline for funding appeals was 5 p.m. Friday :(

It wasn't really publicized; you had to take initiative in emailing them, and then they replied with a form to fill out. I'm kicking myself for not asking for more money because they gave me close to what I requested. Honestly didn't expect anything because I didn't even have a competing offer to leverage.

I guess you can still try emailing them. With the April 15 deadline approaching, they'll probably have some extra money freed up.

Yeah, as long as they read it by Monday maybe they'll have some leeway. 

What is the April 15 Deadline you're referring to? I've heard someone else mention that as their deadline whereas on my admission letter they merely said I have to respond and deposit to secure my place by May 1st. I'm an MIA admit FWIW> 

Just now, lost_in_translation said:

Ah, the deposit deadline is probably different for fellowship recipients and non-recipients. I was offered funding, so my deadline is April 15. I know SAIS has a similar system.

Come to think if it, your deadline for filing an appeal could be later than mine, too. You should definitely email them Monday.

And I'm also MIA, so it's not a matter of MIA vs. MPA.

Yes this makes sense. I didn't receive any funding so they're probably less in need of hearing back from me since I don't effect their accounting numbers as much. I'm looking to be a dual-degree student with another school at Columbia (who offered me a generous scholarship) so I will only be at SIPA for the first year, and I am hoping to use my ineligibility for any second year funding (which they love to tout) and my current scholarship offer from the other school at Columbia (which is only eligible if I enroll this fall at that program) as the 'leverage.' So we'll see what happens. 

Hopefully they'll have some more cash free'd up by next week and will be feeling generous. And thanks for your responses!

Edited by jbc17

My appeal was rejected but I also didn’t receive any funding in the first place and received a generic email back about no more first year funding being available, which is a bit frustrating since they hardly even read my email. 

I know it was generic because I’m doing a dual degree and thus won’t be eligible for the second year funding (part of my appeal) but in their response they mentioned the second year funding opportunities. 

My appeal was also denied ?  

On an unrelated note, I applied to on-campus housing and haven't heard back. Does anyone know how realistic it is for a US citizen who already lives on the East Coast (but not NYC area) to get university housing? I'm trying to decide whether to give up and look for an off-campus place with a friend who's already in the city.

I didn't get any funding after my appeal either :( Does anyone know how difficult it is for international students to get on-campus work (is there generally a preference for domestic students) ?

• 2 weeks later...

No funding as well. Did anyone else decide to enroll with no funding? I enrolled to potentially increase my chances of aid, but I am still hesitating on committing to my decision...

Hi all, anyone here who has been admitted to MPA EPM and declined the admission or plans to do so? I am on wait-list, and can't wait to get in. Thank you!