2019Fall Applicants for IEOR Ph.D. Program

Claucisco

Hi guys(girls),

I am applying for the Fall 2019 IEOR Ph.D. program.

Is there anyone else also applied to IEOR Ph.D. If you are, you can share your story here. Also, you can ask some questions that you concern about the application, result, programs etc.

About me, I have applied MIT(ORC S.M.) Columbia Berkeley Northwestern Umich VT TAM Stanford(MSE) Princeton(ORFE) Gatech. I have got an offer from VT and interviewed Umich and TAM. Since I haven't heard anything from NWU, Berkeley, and Columbia, I think the possibility for me to get admitted is very small (sad story

Anyway, good luck with your applications. And thank in advance for your sharing.

Edited by Claucisco

Hi Claucisco, 

Thank you for sharing your information. I  am also applying for fall 2019 OR Ph.D. program and applying for almost the same universities as yours. May I ask when did you receive the interview form UMich IOE and could you please imply a little bit more about the interview? Great thanks!

Best wishes for your applications!

2 hours ago, chs said:

Hi Claucisco, 

Thank you for sharing your information. I  am also applying for fall 2019 OR Ph.D. program and applying for almost the same universities as yours. May I ask when did you receive the interview form UMich IOE and could you please imply a little bit more about the interview? Great thanks!

Best wishes for your applications!

Hi chs,

I received an e-mail on Jan 19 and interview on Jan 25.

I was interviewed by an assistant professor(not my POI mentioned in PS). The interview is quite normal. But the professor told me that all the result for international applicants will be sent after the visiting day.

Thanks for sharing!

I applied to University of Washington’s ISE PhD program and ECE PhD program (the ECE department has faculty doing research in optimization).

So far I have had 2 interviews with UW ISE, one with the admissions committee and one with a professor interested in having me fill an RA position. I haven’t heard anything from the ECE program yet.

What research topics is everyone else hoping to pursue? I am interested in optimization theory, applied statistics and healthcare applications.

I saw some acceptances for PhD IEOR Columbia. Will these be all the admits, or do you think the admits will be done in waves? Also, if anyone who has been admitted to this program, could you share a brief profile/stats? Thanks.

On 2/2/2019 at 3:25 AM, ducky500 said:

I saw some acceptances for PhD IEOR Columbia. Will these be all the admits, or do you think the admits will be done in waves? Also, if anyone who has been admitted to this program, could you share a brief profile/stats? Thanks.

I noticed last year they admitted someone on Jan 30 and then another handful mid February. There is mixed record of admitting students with and without an interview so I think it is too early to say. That being said, I will not be holding my breath :(

Hey everyone! I'm glad to see this thread started. I know a few schools have already released their decisions, but the bulk of them will start coming out soon. Good luck everyone!!

I have applied to PhD programs at MIT (ORC), Stanford (OIT), Cornell (ORIE), Columbia (IEOR), Columbia (DRO), Princeton (ORFE), Yale SOM (OM), Chicago Booth (OM), Northwestern (IEOR), Berkeley (IEOR), HBS (TOM), Georgia Tech (OR), NYU Stern (IOMS), Wharton, and UT Austin. 

I have received interviews from Yale, Booth, and Berkeley. I was waitlisted at Booth (FINGERS CROSSED!) and rejected from Wharton (¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ) so far. I only need one! 

Edited by itheproofofstupidity

On 2/8/2019 at 11:49 PM, ducky500 said:

Hi @itheproofofstupidty, when do you think Cornell and GT will come up? Next week or the week after maybe? so nervous

I did a very fast and loose analysis on previous admit days and my best guess is that Cornell will come out next Monday and GT potentially as early as next Monday and as late as the end of the month. 

I'm also super nervous and I'm constantly looking for ways to keep busy as to not think about it!

1 hour ago, ducky500 said:

@Birdyy same, very disappointed....didn't receive anything from Cornell.

4 hours ago, Birdyyy said:

Just saw an acceptance of Cornell ORIE on the result page...?

I wouldn't worry quite yet. In past years multiple people have posted once getting accepted. I think that poster's decision may have been a special case and went out sooner than the rest. If that really was it, then we should be getting our R's in a few days. Will keep my hope until then!

15 hours ago, ducky500 said:

@itheproofofstupidity I did not apply to Berkeley. Seems like GA Tech went out today. didn't receive anything.

I spoke with my advisor who is also a GT OR PhD alum and he told me GT is a large program and admissions come out as if they are rolling. He told me most responses will not have cone out yet and not to worry! Keeping my fingers crossed

4 hours ago, wishyourofferscoming said:

Hey you guys. I'm also applying OR PhD this year. Thank you very much for sharing information!  Do you guys know situations about Cornell? I'm not accepted nor rejected. What does it mean?

Hm maybe you’re on a waitlist? I received my Cornell rejection so I know at least some of those have gone out already. 

@itheproofofstupidity Thank you! Wish they are still processing the applications... 

@ducky500It seems last year there was only one round... This is what confused me so much because I only see one admit post so far. I think we are probably on the waitlist. Anyway, hope for the best!