2019Fall Applicants for IEOR Ph.D. Program

Claucisco

5 hours ago, ducky500 said:

Hi @itheproofofstupidity Sorry to bother you but have you heard anything from Professor Erera about the webinar for Georgia tech? Thanks.

Hey not at all! And no, I have not heard from him :( However, to my understanding from what my contact has told me, it seems waitlist conversations have not happened yet so we will have to be patient still. I am expecting a response by early April.

Another member of gradcafe has told me the visit weekend is end of March so they suspect many admitted students will accept/decline around then. I guess we will have to find a way to make the next two weeks go by quickly.

On 3/14/2019 at 11:20 AM, itheproofofstupidity said:

@theonionring Hey! I gave the Berkeley department a call and they told me i am on the waitlist and told me my exact position. I suspect most of us who received that email are also on the waiting list. You should give them a ring and see what they say! They also told me the program has 10 spots so take that how you will. They also mentioned decisions should be finalized by end of next week. 

Thanks for letting me know! I might give them a call this Monday. I didn't know they only take 10 people. I have always assumed that the department is bigger at Berkeley than in most places.

On 3/15/2019 at 11:08 PM, ducky500 said:

@itheproofofstupidity thanks for your reply. The wait for decisions is not fun but it’ll be over at least in one month!

Hey! I suspect you would have received the email as well, but I just got a batch email from Prof. Erera about a seminar for admitted and waitlisted applicants on March 21st. 

Hi @onionring I was waitlisted by Columbia's PhD operations research back in Feb 25. They said they would let us know about the waitlist in mid-April.  Now, I just received a generic rejection that everyone received. Did you or other Columbia PhD waitlists also receive this email? The rejection email had a link to be considered for Columbia's MS OR and i had sent an email last week that I wanted to be considered for the MS in OR while I waited for my PhD decision. Not sure if this is why I just received rejection email.....seems very early to be rejected from waitlist....sigh

Edited by ducky500

1 hour ago, ducky500 said:

Hi @onionring I was waitlisted by Columbia's PhD operations research back in Feb 25. They said they would let us know about the waitlist in mid-April.  Now, I just received a generic rejection that everyone received. Did you or other Columbia PhD waitlists also receive this email? The rejection email had a link to be considered for Columbia's MS OR and i had sent an email last week that I wanted to be considered for the MS in OR while I waited for my PhD decision. Not sure if this is why I just received rejection email.....seems very early to be rejected from waitlist....sigh

Man, I feel for you. I got the same email and just applied for MS OR because nothing to lose. Hopefully we won't have to worry about it and we'll get off the GT waitlist with good news soon. 

Hi, thanks for your kind response @itheproofofstupidity. apparently, there was a misunderstanding and i can only choose between staying on the waitlist or being considered for MS OR, not both as they are considered separate apps and multiple apps are not allowed.

Edited by ducky500

7 hours ago, ducky500 said:

yea I just got the same email as well. (I didn't tell them earlier that I wanted to be considered for their MS but received the same email anyway so I dont think that was why you received rejection email.)

Edited by theonionring

To summarize the GT webinar this morning (for us waitlisted students), they typically only take 2-3 students off the waitlist (though it was not clear whether they mean admit 2-3 students or 2-3 students off the waitlist will attend GT), the waitlist is pretty long to protect against the worst case scenario where they a particularly low yield, and virtually all admitted waitlisted students need some faculty endorser. 

Pretty discouraging but I guess that is better than being overly optimistic and getting hopes up for nothing! Still hoping for the best for all of us!

1 hour ago, itheproofofstupidity said:

To summarize the GT webinar this morning (for us waitlisted students), they typically only take 2-3 students off the waitlist (though it was not clear whether they mean admit 2-3 students or 2-3 students off the waitlist will attend GT), the waitlist is pretty long to protect against the worst case scenario where they a particularly low yield, and virtually all admitted waitlisted students need some faculty endorser. 

Pretty discouraging but I guess that is better than being overly optimistic and getting hopes up for nothing! Still hoping for the best for all of us!

When he said 2-3, my heart breaks?

Oh  Hi @itheproofofstupidity were you the one who posted. Congrats on Georgia Tech!! Did they mention anything in the email about how many people they are taking? Also, if you don't mind me asking what are your research interests? What area of Operations Research are you interested in? Again congrats!!!

7 hours ago, ducky500 said:

Oh  Hi @itheproofofstupidity were you the one who posted. Congrats on Georgia Tech!! Did they mention anything in the email about how many people they are taking? Also, if you don't mind me asking what are your research interests? What area of Operations Research are you interested in? Again congrats!!!

Hey! Yes, I was the one who posted and thank you very much :) 

I was admitted because the professor i wanted to work with offered me a GRAship with funding from her external grant. I assume this means I will not be needing first year funding from the department which I bet is the limiting factor for number of admissions. I also think that probably means I'm not in the 2-3 they claimed they typically take off the list since I will not need any funding from the department so I still have high hopes for everyone else!!!

I'm most interested in applications to health care and methods in mathematical programming/optimization. Seems GT is best known for their work in optimization as they have some of the biggest names in optimization as faculty like dr.nemhauser

6 hours ago, theonionring said:

I'm also still on the waitlist for Cornell ORIE. I think I'll send them an email sometime this week.

Can you please let me know if you get an reply from them? I don't know why they never respond to my emails. At least let me know that they are still considering.

Good luck everyone. I have heard often that people get off the waitlist most often in the few days preceding April 15 (many people in past threads have gotten off waitlists on April 13), so I am rooting for every single one of you. Cornell and Berkeley better get their heads on straight and realize their mistake by waitlisting you all... and immediately admit you with full funding!

34 minutes ago, itheproofofstupidity said:

Good luck everyone. I have heard often that people get off the waitlist most often in the few days preceding April 15 (many people in past threads have gotten off waitlists on April 13), so I am rooting for every single one of you. Cornell and Berkeley better get their heads on straight and realize their mistake by waitlisting you all... and immediately admit you with full funding!

Thank you for your encouragement. Congratulations on your offer from Georgia Tech. You deserve it.