Jump to content

How to buy more time to make a decision


Recommended Posts

I am applying to various Canadian schools for a PhD and applied to some funded MSc programs as a back up. One of the M.Sc programs has already accepted me (Feb 1) and the website says they expect a decision in 3 weeks. This is a funded M.Sc so they do not require a tuition deposit. I have 2 options:

1. Politely ask for more time. Do bluntly just tell them that I am waiting for other schools to make a decision? And what if that does not work.

2. Should I accept the offer and back out if something better comes up? I know this is unethical but they aren't giving me much wiggle room here. This school uses the OUAC system so I am concerned whether accepting will block/end my chances of admission in other schools that I'm still interviewing with. I'm also surprised because the OUAC website says no school should force you to make a decision before June 1

http://www.electronicinfo.ca/announcements/respond-deadline

Can accepting an offer (via OUAC) cause damage to my other applications?

 

 

Edited by Reza2019
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would strongly advise against option 2. You do not want to burn bridges this early on in your career. I think being honest is a good idea. Inform them that you have a few other applications you are waiting on decisions for and are very excited for that offer, but you want to make sure you make an informed decision. It's not a secret that you applied to other programs. Most people apply to multiple programs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.