2019 Rhet/Comp Applicants

yay! i was just talking about this on another thread yesterday.

So far, MSU-rejection, UT Austin-waitlist, still waiting on Penn State, Chapel Hill, and Texas A&M (alma mater).

UT is definitely my top choice, so I'm hoping for some movement there. Staying in Texas is really important/necessary for me, so fingers crossed!

Congrats on your acceptances so far :)

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the rhet/comp applicants come out of the woodwork hehe

Yes, I kept seeing folks post about it in other threads, so I thought a centralized location for us would be helpful, as it seems that literature notifications are going out at different times than rhet/comp ones, even within the same school.

And thanks for the congrats! Once the shock wore off, I've been alternately excited / terrified at what I've gotten myself into. ?

Yay thanks for making! @tacocat211 fingers crossed for you for UT!

I’ve been accepted at temple, waitlist at Maryland, and rejected from northeastern. Still waiting on a few , including my top (Amherst). If nothing else I’d be thrilled to go to Temple, so I’m very happy about that. I’ve been out of school for several years now and I kind of can’t believe this is all happening and I’ll actually be going back to school! 

Edited by rachel11nyc

Yes @Junebug01 thank you for starting this thread! Always good to get in touch with my fellow Rhet/Comp fam. As more announcements roll in and it gets closer to decision time I'm sure I'll have questions to throw out here!

For those who have heard back from Michigan State, when did those emails go out? I had expected them to be one of the first to contact applicants because of their early deadline.

17 minutes ago, Pnwonder said:

Yes @Junebug01 thank you for starting this thread! Always good to get in touch with my fellow Rhet/Comp fam. As more announcements roll in and it gets closer to decision time I'm sure I'll have questions to throw out here!

For those who have heard back from Michigan State, when did those emails go out? I had expected them to be one of the first to contact applicants because of their early deadline.

I heard back from MSU almost immediately. Rejection email around Dec. 10, not even a two-week turn around lol :')

Thank you so much for starting a discussion thread! @Junebug01

It's good to see so many rhet/comp fellows out there!

So far:

Acceptance: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign 

Rejection: CMU, MSU, and UW-Madison

Waitlist: OSU

Still waiting to hear back from a few. Fingers crossed for all of us!!!

10 minutes ago, righttowrite said:

Thank you for starting the Rhetoric/comp thread!

I'm curious if anyone's heard from Penn State, ASU or Purdue yet, specifically for the Master's program? 

no word on any of them :( there have been a couple penn. state acceptances but none for rhet/comp

14 minutes ago, righttowrite said:

Thank you for starting the Rhetoric/comp thread!

I'm curious if anyone's heard from Penn State, ASU or Purdue yet, specifically for the Master's program? 

Got an automated email at 3:00 am this morning notifying acceptance to ASU's PhD, but no mention of funding or anything. Not sure about the MA though, but hopefully you'll hear soon?

Hello Rhet/Comp family!  

My girlfriend is the applicant, not me, but I have banned her from Gradcafe and r/gradadmissions.  She's got enough stress at the moment, so if I can help block some of it out, I'm all for it.

Rejected from Carnegie Melon, Emory (WGS), Waitlisted at U of Alabama, and waiting on Auburn, Louisiana State U, and Brandeis.

I'm so stressed over all of this, I can't even imagine how you guys feel!!  Congrats on the acceptances, and good luck to those that have been waitlisted and/or are still waiting to hear!

1 hour ago, Gradbean said:

So glad to find this thread! So far accepted at MSU and Wisconsin-Madison, rejected at UT Austin, waitlisted at Maryland, still no word from UNC-CH. 

You’re the first rhet/comp acceptance to MSU we’ve seen!! congrats!!

I’ve been pretty silent this year, but can’t help joining on the convo. I did apply to Texas Tech’s distance-based TCR PhD (haven’t heard anything). It’ll be interesting to see, as I kinda redefined my self as a multimodal and visual rhetoric person this year, after some time in my current position (Lecturer & Writing Center coordinator).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone...Rhet/Comp PhD applicant here. I only applied to 3, NYC area schools. So far: 

• Rejected from CUNY Grad Center
  • Waitlisted at UConn
  • No word from Stony Brook.

Stonybrook's app was due on January 15, and it looks like, historically, they send out acceptances the second week of March. Anybody else applying to these schools?

This site is making me crazy, so I am only allowed to log in 3 times a day

Edited by StamfordCat

On 2/26/2019 at 12:24 PM, tacocat211 said:

congratulations!!! i’m sure that’s such a relief :)

Thanks! It is! I emailed back my acceptance today, so I guess I’m going to be a Red Raider. Looking forward to working with folks like Kendall Gerdes!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been off GC since last year's cycle, but wanted to check in and see how everyone's faring. @Pnwonder and @Gradbean I know UW-Madison just had our Welcome Days, and I see you both have some tough choices to make, but if I can answer any other questions for you, please let me know!!

Way to go, everyone! It's almost over! ?