Master of Teaching OISE 2019

tngus777

2 hours ago, fjdnen said:

Hey y'all, so i've been creeping this forum since it started but never really interacted because I got my acceptance back in February. But I figured I'd join now cuz I remembered a bit of info from the open house. I think they said that they accepted about 150 people to each stream. 

Goodluck to everyone still waiting!! Your applications look really strong

Hi! thanks for the info :) if you dont mind me asking, what stream did you apply for? 

2 hours ago, soapyhope said:

Hi! thanks for the info :) if you dont mind me asking, what stream did you apply for? 

No problem! My first choice was i/s for english and general social sciences and thats the one i've accepted 

17 hours ago, NSNSNSNS said:

I got rejected :(

oh my gosh i’m so sorry :( that sucks so hard 

18 hours ago, fjdnen said:

No problem! My first choice was i/s for english and general social sciences and thats the one i've accepted 

Nice! Anything else interesting from the open house? i applied i/s social science / history and i’m just nervous all the social science as primary teachable spots are taken :( they waitlisted me way back in feb 

Edited by soapyhope

2 hours ago, Pycelle said:

Still haven't heard anything and I applied before November 15th. For those of you who have heard, did you first see on the application portal, acorn, or by email? 

Hey, they will email you from SGS asking you to log in to the SGS portal and where it says under review is where it will now have a document. That document will then tell you if you have been accepted or rejected. Everything happened all at once for me, I checked acorn and SGS in the morning and nothing, once I was emailed I checked it all and it was updated. Best of luck, I know it’s a hard wait. 

3 hours ago, soapyhope said:

Nice! Anything else interesting from the open house? i applied i/s social science / history and i’m just nervous all the social science as primary teachable spots are taken :( they waitlisted me way back in feb 

i know of one girl who declined her acceptance for i/s social sciences so keep you head up!! Im sure others will too simply due to the high tuition and living costs.  And I wasn't able to go to the open house because my uni is too far ?  If anyone here was able to attend, how was it??  

3 hours ago, Pycelle said:

Still haven't heard anything and I applied before November 15th. For those of you who have heard, did you first see on the application portal, acorn, or by email? 

I actually ended up seeing it through acorn a few days before i got the official email! For me it showed up on my acorn dashboard- saying "financially cancelled" beside p/j and j/i and "invited" beside i/s. Once the decision documents were uploaded to sgs I found out this meant I was accepted to the three streams, but they had put priority towards my first choice (i/s). I also have a friend who found out through the email invitation to attend the open house this past Monday, so maybe check through your inbox because they did accidentally send out invites to people whose sgs had not been updated yet!  Best of luck! 

On 3/25/2019 at 4:51 PM, fjdnen said:

that's what i want to apply for next year! do you mind sharing your gpa ? that's what im worried about

does anyone know if they look at third year marks? thanks!

1 hour ago, tennnnnn said:

that's what i want to apply for next year! do you mind sharing your gpa ? that's what im worried about

My gpa was an 85% in my third year. However, a friend of mine got in with a 78% average a few years back (but do your best to aim higher in case there are a lot of applicants in your year). They'll look at your third year marks if you apply while you're completing your fourth year (which i did) since those are the marks available. If you apply after graduating, they will look at your fourth year marks. They also tally up marks from earlier years when it comes to your teachables, since you need 6-full year credits in your first teachable and 3- full year credits in your second teachable (they'll choose your highest marks in each teachable). I hope that makes sense! 

Once you get your acceptance, they just want you to keep a mid B average :)  However, I was told by someone on the decisions board that your experience, statement of intent, and letters of recommendation matter much more because that is where they are able to get insight regarding how committed you are to teaching/ being an educator. 

4 hours ago, fjdnen said:

i know of one girl who declined her acceptance for i/s social sciences so keep you head up!! Im sure others will too simply due to the high tuition and living costs.  And I wasn't able to go to the open house because my uni is too far ?  If anyone here was able to attend, how was it??  

oh my gosh thats honestly the best news I've heard in like a month lol thank you! i really hope i get in i didnt apply anywhere else and I reaaally want my BEd ?

1 hour ago, tennnnnn said:

Hey! i think that they look at the last 10 (5 FCE) highest level courses you take? like 300-400 level thats my understanding but i could be wrong if anyone else wants to jump in!!  

11 hours ago, soapyhope said:

Thank you. Good luck ?

contemplating between moving on or applying again next year at this point.

oh and for those worried about their GPA not being high enough- I had a 3.7 for the last 10 courses but I was lacking in experience. They really do take into consideration everything together. Goodluck guys!

Edited by NSNSNSNS

8 hours ago, Scotts123 said:

Hey, they will email you from SGS asking you to log in to the SGS portal and where it says under review is where it will now have a document. That document will then tell you if you have been accepted or rejected. Everything happened all at once for me, I checked acorn and SGS in the morning and nothing, once I was emailed I checked it all and it was updated. Best of luck, I know it’s a hard wait. 

In terms of acorn, I used to be a uoft student last year so my acorn is still active but it just says financially cancelled and says nothing about any courses. I applied November 15 and my sgs says “under review” . So was your acorn the same and were you a prior UofT student? I’m worried that it my acorn just saying financially cancelled still is just a sign Ive been rejected. 

On 3/25/2019 at 5:08 PM, NSNSNSNS said:

I got rejected :(

I just did too :( I'm less upset about being rejected and moreso that all they said was that my application was "not sufficiently strong to be awarded an admission space". It'd be nice to know what they thought were weak points so I could improve on it for next year. Do you guys think they'd tell me if I called or emailed to ask?

Edited by Datawraith

45 minutes ago, Datawraith said:

I just did too :( I'm less upset about being rejected and moreso that all they said was that my application was "not sufficiently strong to be awarded an admission space". It'd be nice to know what they thought were weak points so I could improve on it for next year. Do you guys think they'd tell me if I called or emailed to ask?

No they don't tell you I tried. Did you get accepted any where else?

Just now, NSNSNSNS said:

No they don't tell you I tried. Did you get accepted any where else?

I didn't apply anywhere else as I'm completing my final year of school and I felt my cumulative GPA wasn't sufficiently high enough at the time to meet other program requirements. It just so happened that OISE only looked at the final year marks which were good for me last term and hopefully this term (they're good going into finals). I'll probably still reach out to them and see if they're willing to expand so I can reapply next year with a strengthened application.

Just now, Datawraith said:

I didn't apply anywhere else as I'm completing my final year of school and I felt my cumulative GPA wasn't sufficiently high enough at the time to meet other program requirements. It just so happened that OISE only looked at the final year marks which were good for me last term and hopefully this term (they're good going into finals). I'll probably still reach out to them and see if they're willing to expand so I can reapply next year with a strengthened application.

"final year marks" implies 3rd year marks if you're in 4th year. I was debating reapplying next year if I didn't get in since next year they'd look at 4th year marks but I ended up deciding to just take the other offer I have if I don't get in. I am worried my marks are on the low end as well (3rd year has been my worst year). But I'm hoping my experience will make up for it. 

Just now, Pycelle said:

"final year marks" implies 3rd year marks if you're in 4th year. I was debating reapplying next year if I didn't get in since next year they'd look at 4th year marks but I ended up deciding to just take the other offer I have if I don't get in. I am worried my marks are on the low end as well (3rd year has been my worst year). But I'm hoping my experience will make up for it. 

I'm at Waterloo for Mechanical Engineering, so because of the co-op structure, I had half of my 4th year marks already in my transcript when I applied. So they probably looked at those in my case. But yup, 2nd and 3rd year were disastrous for me...

Just now, Datawraith said:

I'm at Waterloo for Mechanical Engineering, so because of the co-op structure, I had half of my 4th year marks already in my transcript when I applied. So they probably looked at those in my case. But yup, 2nd and 3rd year were disastrous for me...

Do you mind me asking what you had for teaching experience? Honestly at least you have an amazing degree which will allow you to get an amazing job for now while you wait to reapply. 

7 minutes ago, Pycelle said:

Do you mind me asking what you had for teaching experience? Honestly at least you have an amazing degree which will allow you to get an amazing job for now while you wait to reapply. 

Not a problem. I used one of my coop terms to help teach computer engineering and robotics at a private high school in Toronto for 4 months. Another 4 month coop term was at a summer camp teaching really  young kids circuits, programming, and robotics. I spent an additional 2 summers as a general manager of a summer camp, and I coached basketball on weekends for about 5-6 years in elementary and high school.

So not a ton of experience as I didn't do much during my post-secondary studies (my degree took up way too much time to do much of anything else) but I felt it was sufficient.

Edited by Datawraith

3 minutes ago, Datawraith said:

Not a problem. I used one of my coop terms to help teach computer engineering and robotics at a private high school in Toronto for 4 months. Another 4 month coop term was at a summer camp teaching really  young kids circuits, programming, and robotics. I spent an additional 2 summers as a general manager of a summer camp, and I coached basketball on weekends for about 5-6 years in elementary and high school.

So not a ton of experience as I didn't do much during my post-secondary studies (my degree took up way too much time to do much of anything else) but I felt it was sufficient.

Pretty impressive. I have no idea what they're thinking.

8 hours ago, Datawraith said:

this is incredible honestly you have more experience than I did when I applied. No idea how the oise system works now lol 

On 3/26/2019 at 11:14 PM, Katrinaaa345 said:

In terms of acorn, I used to be a uoft student last year so my acorn is still active but it just says financially cancelled and says nothing about any courses. I applied November 15 and my sgs says “under review” . So was your acorn the same and were you a prior UofT student? I’m worried that it my acorn just saying financially cancelled still is just a sign Ive been rejected. 

I applied November 15 and i used to be a uoft student last year too. I recently got accepted to the p/j and the j/i program (march 25) but my acorn still shows up as financially cancelled. It seems like it's only showing up for some people so there's still hope!