Master of Teaching OISE 2019

tngus777

3 hours ago, CJ3 said:

I sent a email today asking how many applicants get waitlisted and in previous years, approximately what % of applicants on the waitlist get in. The response was that they had a large number of applications from well qualified candidates but only a limited number of spaces. They said it was not possible to enter into a discussion or correspondence about my position on the waitlist, but will contact me as soon as possible if a space becomes available. Was also told that often spots become available throughout the summer and sometimes into August and that it’s not uncommon to receive an offer of admission at that time. 

yea this is the exact same thing they sent me when i asked in feb. just a copy paste FAQ i guess 

One thing that may affect your chances is your teachable/concentration.
P/J is wildly more applied for than J/I or I/S, so you will face lots of competition there.

This goes for teachable subjects as well. We had well over 60-70 I/S English and History students at OISE in my class of 2019.
This is in stark contrast to I/S math class, which only had 8 teacher candidates this year (J/I math is more popular). I/S physics had even less, at 6.

Interestingly enough, the school boards are desperately interviewing for I/S math/physics teachers right now.
I don't think I know any IS math/physics teachers who did not receive a board interview last month.

Edited by Jackson8918

15 minutes ago, Jackson8918 said:

One thing that may affect your chances is your teachable/concentration.
P/J is wildly more applied for than J/I or I/S, so you will face lots of competition there.

This goes for teachable subjects as well. We had well over 60-70 I/S English and History students at OISE in my class of 2019.
This is in stark contrast to I/S math class, which only had 8 teacher candidates this year (J/I math is more popular). I/S physics had even less, at 6.

Interestingly enough, the school boards are desperately interviewing for I/S math/physics teachers right now.
I don't think I know any IS math/physics teachers who did not receive a board interview last month.

Hmm yea i’ve heard about this:( worries me a little. I applied I/S social sciences, i can imagine it probably filled up like english and history did. def doing the math AQ if i get in haha

Goodluck to everyone who is still waiting to hear back! :) I was accepted into P/J, J/I, and MACSE on February 15th. I have chosen J/I so hopefully one of you guys gets the P/J spot!! Also important to note for those waiting, the office of the registrar is SLOW. I sent in my confirmation forms with my decisions on March 7th and I called this week to make sure they had been processed but they have not been done yet due to the influx of applicants. Once they process them, spots will open up! It will just depend where you are on the wait list :) 

8 hours ago, Hudson150 said:

Goodluck to everyone who is still waiting to hear back! :) I was accepted into P/J, J/I, and MACSE on February 15th. I have chosen J/I so hopefully one of you guys gets the P/J spot!! Also important to note for those waiting, the office of the registrar is SLOW. I sent in my confirmation forms with my decisions on March 7th and I called this week to make sure they had been processed but they have not been done yet due to the influx of applicants. Once they process them, spots will open up! It will just depend where you are on the wait list :) 

Congratulations!!! That’s great news, thanks for letting us know! :) 

Hey guys. Congrats to those of you who got in! I have a question. Is there anyone here who got rejected last year or even waitlisted and then applied again to get accepted? Also, did anyone here already graduate before applying? 

I'm still trying to figure out what kinds of experiences/ jobs/ volunteer hours I should do rn before I try and apply next year again.  Any advice would really be appreciated :)

Hi everyone, 

I am so crazy excited to have found this forum because I have felt very in the dark/alone during this process. 
I am from Nova Scotia and applied to OISE's I/S with Social Sciences and History as my teachables and this was my first choice ( @soapyhope the same teachables and stream as you!). I also got waitlisted for this program at the beginning of March and I was initially really upset about it. I won't lie I was somewhat surprised I was waitlisted because I felt I had a pretty strong application overall. 
However, I did get accepted into the J/I program with specialization in History. I received an offer from a university here in NS but wasn't even very excited since the program did not seem challenging to me at all and my heart was with OISE. 
Despite being waitlisted for my first choice, I will be attending OISE in the fall for at least the J/I program but am still crossing my fingers to get accepted into my first choice. 
If anyone has any tips on helping me prepare for this big move from small town NS to Toronto or have any information on social groups or anything like that I would really appreciate it :)
Congrats to everyone who got accepted and sorry to everyone who didn't but keep your head up! Your initiative shows that you will go places. 

Cheers :)

Edited by winters55

4 hours ago, winters55 said:

Hi everyone, 

I am so crazy excited to have found this forum because I have felt very in the dark/alone during this process. 
I am from Nova Scotia and applied to OISE's I/S with Social Sciences and History as my teachables and this was my first choice ( @soapyhope the same teachables and stream as you!). I also got waitlisted for this program at the beginning of March and I was initially really upset about it. I won't lie I was somewhat surprised I was waitlisted because I felt I had a pretty strong application overall. 
However, I did get accepted into the J/I program with specialization in History. I received an offer from a university here in NS but wasn't even very excited since the program did not seem challenging to me at all and my heart was with OISE. 
Despite being waitlisted for my first choice, I will be attending OISE in the fall for at least the J/I program but am still crossing my fingers to get accepted into my first choice. 
If anyone has any tips on helping me prepare for this big move from small town NS to Toronto or have any information on social groups or anything like that I would really appreciate it :)
Congrats to everyone who got accepted and sorry to everyone who didn't but keep your head up! Your initiative shows that you will go places. 

Cheers :)

Ahh! welcome to the waiting club :) that’s so cool that we both have the same teachables! i hope we both get off the waitlist and maybe see each other this fall :)  sorry i don’t have any info about toronto living (i’m a commuter myself) but I hope someone else here is of help to you! The whole program is cohort based, so you are bound to make some really close friends regardless. Best of luck!!

On 4/12/2019 at 12:59 PM, imstillwaiting said:

Anyone else waiting who applied Nov 15? Seems ridiculous now

That would be I.

1st choice: MT I/S Bio + Chem

2nd Choice: MT P/I Gen Sci

3-4 years of work/volunteer experience related to age group and not related. I have experience everywhere. Camps, Church programs, volunteering in class, Youth projects and tutoring and experience at Kumon.

Average GPA is pretty low. Just above minimum requirement.

.... In case you wanted to know.

Hey guys! Waitlisted for P/J  on April 4th (first choice) but accepted for a Med in Social Justice Education. Don't know if I should wait around in hopes of getting off the waitlist or just accept this random degree that wont provide any teacher qualifications. Anyone know how long I can keep this offer of admission in limbo while I wait for a possible P/J acceptance? Feeling unenthusiastic as I was waitlisted last year and never got off. Booo!

On 4/14/2019 at 2:59 PM, lbutt said:

Hey guys! Waitlisted for P/J  on April 4th (first choice) but accepted for a Med in Social Justice Education. Don't know if I should wait around in hopes of getting off the waitlist or just accept this random degree that wont provide any teacher qualifications. Anyone know how long I can keep this offer of admission in limbo while I wait for a possible P/J acceptance? Feeling unenthusiastic as I was waitlisted last year and never got off. Booo!

i think it says on your acceptance letter! people on here who were accepted into the MT said they had three weeks from the issued date of the acceptance. also congrats on getting into the MEd! that’s a really big deal and you can get into some really incredible positions in education w one of those!! don’t discredit its value and the awesomeness of getting in!! also i’m waitlisted too for I/S :) welcome to the club 

On 4/15/2019 at 10:00 PM, soapyhope said:

i think it says on your acceptance letter! people on here who were accepted into the MT said they had three weeks from the issued date of the acceptance. also congrats on getting into the MEd! that’s a really big deal and you can get into some really incredible positions in education w one of those!! don’t discredit its value and the awesomeness of getting in!! also i’m waitlisted too for I/S :) welcome to the club 

any idea what I can do with it? 

Hi folks! I applied for the MT program in February. My application is still under review. I've noticed a lot of accepted applicants in this thread. I'm wondering if there are others still waiting to hear. Or should I assume that my odds of acceptance are low. 

For context:

• I've applied for the I/S stream.
  • My teachables are Dramatic Arts & English.
  • My final year GPA was 3.53, but that was about 10 years ago.
  • I've been working professionally in the arts since graduating. 
  • I have 1500 hours working with learners, although a good chunk of them are older than high-school learners.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by MTapplicant88

• 2 weeks later...

Found out yesterday I was accepted to the MT program for primary/junior! I was put on waitlist April 5th!! Good luck to everyone still waiting :) 

On 4/22/2019 at 12:44 PM, MTapplicant88 said:

Hi folks! I applied for the MT program in February. My application is still under review. I've noticed a lot of accepted applicants in this thread. I'm wondering if there are others still waiting to hear. Or should I assume that my odds of acceptance are low. 

For context:

• I've applied for the I/S stream.
  • My teachables are Dramatic Arts & English.
  • My final year GPA was 3.53, but that was about 10 years ago.
  • I've been working professionally in the arts since graduating. 
  • I have 1500 hours working with learners, although a good chunk of them are older than high-school learners.

Thanks for your help!

they say you find out 6 weeks from your application if you submit after November! If you haven’t heard back I would call them and ask what’s up. 

I've read through this thread today, but not many people answered the question I have so I thought I'd ask. What was everyone's average when they applied to the P/J stream? I know OISE only looks at the average of your last 10 courses. Do they only look at the last 10 300 and 400 level courses or your last 10 courses regardless of their level? Mine isn't the greatest due to me hanging on to a sinking ship, but it also depends on if they focus on senior level courses or not. 

Also, are most of you who've been accepted only applying with their Bachelors or are you all current teachers (currently hold a BEd)? I know some people have stated OISE's program is designed for experienced teachers. I'm assuming that's individuals who have a BEd and currently work or have worked within a public or private school.

Thanks to anyone who replies! And congratulations to everyone who was accepted!

Edited by SupremeReign

23 minutes ago, SupremeReign said:

I've read through this thread today, but not many people answered the question I have so I thought I'd ask. What was everyone's average when they applied to the P/J stream? I know OISE only looks at the average of your last 10 courses. Do they only look at the last 10 300 and 400 level courses or your last 10 courses regardless of their level? Mine isn't the greatest due to me hanging on to a sinking ship, but it also depends on if they focus on senior level courses or not. 

Also, are most of you who've been accepted only applying with their Bachelors or are you all current teachers (currently hold a BEd)? I know some people have stated OISE's program is designed for experienced teachers. I'm assuming that's individuals who have a BEd and currently work or have worked within a public or private school.

Hey, so I know OISE looks at your last 2 years and it does not matter if they are upper year courses or not. Now, if you are a part time student then they look at your upper year courses. I know this for a fact because when I went to the open house I asked the admission department that specifically handles going over looking at grades. You also need to remember that they don’t take the current year you are completing. So, whatever marks you have accumulated in the 2 years previous to your current year are used no matter if you took first year course or fourth year but keep in mind it is different if you were a full time student.

I was accepted to PJ and my last two year gpa was 3.5 but I have over 7 years experience teaching learners from k-8, and I have various unique experiences teaching children in this age group along with countless hours of volunteer experience.

I do know that there are a lot people who already have an MA or have been teaching in the board and are applying to the MT program. I know personally 2 people who have done this and I believe someone brought it up earlier in the thread. I myself do not have a BEd, but I applied for the MT program in my last year of studies at York, while acquiring my Bachelor of Arts. 

Best of luck with everything and I hope this helps a little. 

17 minutes ago, Scotts123 said:

Hey, so I know OISE looks at your last 2 years and it does not matter if they are upper year courses or not. Now, if you are a part time student then they look at your upper year courses. I know this for a fact because when I went to the open house I asked the admission department that specifically handles going over looking at grades. You also need to remember that they don’t take the current year you are completing. So, whatever marks you have accumulated in the 2 years previous to your current year are used no matter if you took first year course or fourth year but keep in mind it is different if you were a full time student.

I was accepted to PJ and my last two year gpa was 3.5 but I have over 7 years experience teaching learners from k-8, and I have various unique experiences teaching children in this age group along with countless hours of volunteer experience.

I do know that there are a lot people who already have an MA or have been teaching in the board and are applying to the MT program. I know personally 2 people who have done this and I believe someone brought it up earlier in the thread. I myself do not have a BEd, but I applied for the MT program in my last year of studies at York, while acquiring my Bachelor of Arts. 

Best of luck with everything and I hope this helps a little. 

Thank you for your speedy response! It was definitely helpful.

I think I would be considered a part-time student because although I began as a full-time student when I first enrolled at university, I began to take a few classes here and there (three courses max in a semester). I do however, realize that that is seen as a full-time student? I received my degree in 2013, but took some classes this past Winter term and was thinking of taking three more courses this time to help boost my average. Am I correct in understanding that you're saying these 6 courses (If I follow through with this Spring term) wouldn't be included in my GPA? I would have finished taking these post-degree courses by the time I apply in November. Do you know what that is?

Sorry, what percentage is a 3.5 GPA? I've tried to find it online to no prevail -_- lol.

I believe I have some good experience. I have over 900 hours of volunteer experience in the classroom working with ESL, special needs, and students who do not fit into either category, 1.5. years of tutoring experience, 1.5 years of teaching ESL abroad in the classroom to children ages 5-15, and some online ESL teaching as well. I was also a Big Sister in the past, but only for one month.

Congratulations once again on your new chapter.

Edited by SupremeReign

59 minutes ago, SupremeReign said:

If you are in 4th year of university OISE looks at your marks just from 3rd year (not 1st and 2nd) and then if you get accepted they give you a conditional offer to maintain a certain average with your 4th year marks. I am applying out of my bachelors and I have a bunch of friends who are in the same boat. Goodluck!