Jump to content
tngus777

Master of Teaching OISE 2019

Recommended Posts

Hi all, just discovered this forum searching online about what some of the "telling signs" could be about the application process.

I just noticed not too long ago this afternoon that my ACORN status under "Academics" says "Degree Registration Status, CTHISMT E 2019-2020 Fall/Winter 'Invited'"

From what I've been seeing on this discussion post, it seems like this could be a good sign but it may not mean anything? I called OISE's Registrar to be sure and they said that while they're not seeing anything confirmed on their end, since I applied near the end of September last year, I should be hearing from the school in the next couple of weeks.

Also, @Datawraith, sorry to hear that your application didn't work out :( I'm actually a 2018 Nano from Waterloo, so I'm in a similar boat. I understand the feel of second and third year being incredibly tough as well. I hope you were able to get accepted into another top program of your choosing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2019 at 2:59 PM, TriforceRaven99 said:

Hi all, just discovered this forum searching online about what some of the "telling signs" could be about the application process.

I just noticed not too long ago this afternoon that my ACORN status under "Academics" says "Degree Registration Status, CTHISMT E 2019-2020 Fall/Winter 'Invited'"

From what I've been seeing on this discussion post, it seems like this could be a good sign but it may not mean anything? I called OISE's Registrar to be sure and they said that while they're not seeing anything confirmed on their end, since I applied near the end of September last year, I should be hearing from the school in the next couple of weeks.

Also, @Datawraith, sorry to hear that your application didn't work out :( I'm actually a 2018 Nano from Waterloo, so I'm in a similar boat. I understand the feel of second and third year being incredibly tough as well. I hope you were able to get accepted into another top program of your choosing!

that definitely sounds like a good sign to me !! good luck i hope you hear soon :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some good news: The following day after I saw the “Invited” status on ACORN, I got an email from OISE telling me to check my decision letter on the SGS application website. Looks like they thought I was good enough to have a spot on the I/S cohort list.

Now, I was very sceptical about this and I’m still very much in disbelief. Main reason is because my average upon applying to this program was basically only meeting the minimum required grade. While I did well in my last year of undergrad, I still failed a third-year course and got a couple of straight 50s in a few courses throughout undergrad. So if you’re applying to this program with a not-so-ideal average, I wouldn’t worry about it as you are most definitely better off than I was.

I’ve seen a lot of great profiles on this thread and I’m sure many (if not all) of you will get in. Hope to see you all around this September!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a teaching degree, from what I understand that's for becoming a teacher? Given the average income and amount effort needed, there are just a lot less candidates going into that field. Congratz, never the less!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone here with less experience? My final year's marks are good (87%) but I have only a year of teaching experience. 
I am not sure if I will be accepted because of that... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ultraSquirrel said:

It's a teaching degree, from what I understand that's for becoming a teacher? Given the average income and amount effort needed, there are just a lot less candidates going into that field. Congratz, never the less!

Sorry just wondering why you are creeping this forum and posting negativity when it seems you aren’t even applying to this program. This is actually a very competitive program despite what you may think. Appreciate the concern but I don’t think it’s very sensitive to people who have been rejected/haven’t heard back yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ritsmph said:

Anyone here with less experience? My final year's marks are good (87%) but I have only a year of teaching experience. 
I am not sure if I will be accepted because of that... 

I’m in the opposite situation and very worried. Hopefully we hear today

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TriforceRaven99 said:

Some good news: The following day after I saw the “Invited” status on ACORN, I got an email from OISE telling me to check my decision letter on the SGS application website. Looks like they thought I was good enough to have a spot on the I/S cohort list.

Now, I was very sceptical about this and I’m still very much in disbelief. Main reason is because my average upon applying to this program was basically only meeting the minimum required grade. While I did well in my last year of undergrad, I still failed a third-year course and got a couple of straight 50s in a few courses throughout undergrad. So if you’re applying to this program with a not-so-ideal average, I wouldn’t worry about it as you are most definitely better off than I was.

I’ve seen a lot of great profiles on this thread and I’m sure many (if not all) of you will get in. Hope to see you all around this September!

Oh my gosh congratulations! this is really awesome news and don't be in disbelief you deserve it. Its honestly nice to hear i didn't do too great in third year either but i've really tried to buckle down for this year. I started joining more clubs and being more involved lol too hope it works out. But honestly, your experience, references and incredible statement of intent probably did the job :D 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ultraSquirrel said:

It's a teaching degree, from what I understand that's for becoming a teacher? Given the average income and amount effort needed, there are just a lot less candidates going into that field. Congratz, never the less!

Hey may I ask what you are comparing this to by saying "a lot less"? Because in Ontario so many people applied that we had thousands of unemployed teachers and that's why they made it very competitive in the past few years.. from 2 years to 1 and increased GPA and experience necessary. OISE's program wasn't even a masters program but because funding for masters is more per student, they had to cut the number of students they accept. And again "less effort needed" in comparison to what? I'm sorry if this is coming off as rude but I'm trying to understand where you are coming from. It's really insulting to come onto a forum where people are anxious, being waitlisted, being rejected, and praying to get into a program they worked years for- just to get told that effort isnt needed and the income isn't a lot.

3 hours ago, ritsmph said:

Anyone here with less experience? My final year's marks are good (87%) but I have only a year of teaching experience. 
I am not sure if I will be accepted because of that... 

Which brings me to this point. My  gpa was 3.7 in the last 2 years but my experience was really lacking. What was your experience? You do have more than me in general so let's hope u get in! keep us updated and good luck.

Edited by NSNSNSNS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TriforceRaven99 said:

Some good news: The following day after I saw the “Invited” status on ACORN, I got an email from OISE telling me to check my decision letter on the SGS application website. Looks like they thought I was good enough to have a spot on the I/S cohort list.

Now, I was very sceptical about this and I’m still very much in disbelief. Main reason is because my average upon applying to this program was basically only meeting the minimum required grade. While I did well in my last year of undergrad, I still failed a third-year course and got a couple of straight 50s in a few courses throughout undergrad. So if you’re applying to this program with a not-so-ideal average, I wouldn’t worry about it as you are most definitely better off than I was.

I’ve seen a lot of great profiles on this thread and I’m sure many (if not all) of you will get in. Hope to see you all around this September!

Omg congratulations!!! Don't doubt yourself you deserve it! 

do you mind sharing what your experience was? 

(I'm trying to improve my experience rn and would like anything to look up to lol)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I've gotten into Western and accepted my offer there back at the beginning of march but still waiting to hear from OISE for I/S. Honestly, Western has been far more organized and helpful... all this waiting puts a damper on OISE and makes me care less for it. I don't think it's fair that they keep people waiting in suspense especially for those of us in fourth year who are already stressed about final exams. They told me to email the department next Monday if I still haven't heard but I think thats a little bit ridiculous. I'm sure its hard to go through this high volume of applications but if the rest of the schools can do it they should be able to also. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pycelle said:

So I've gotten into Western and accepted my offer there back at the beginning of march but still waiting to hear from OISE for I/S. Honestly, Western has been far more organized and helpful... all this waiting puts a damper on OISE and makes me care less for it. I don't think it's fair that they keep people waiting in suspense especially for those of us in fourth year who are already stressed about final exams. They told me to email the department next Monday if I still haven't heard but I think thats a little bit ridiculous. I'm sure its hard to go through this high volume of applications but if the rest of the schools can do it they should be able to also. 

I couldn’t agree more, I got early acceptance earlier in the year to western and nearing the end of February I just accepted it since OISE seems to love keeping people waiting. I applied to all three streams for geography before November 15th and everyday I look at acorn and sgs only to see the same thing as I have seen since I’ve submitted my application. Western has already sent out a yearly outline and OISE hasn’t done nothing but take their sweet time. Now I’m actually contemplating if I even get accepted to OISE if I should accept or not. Or is this a preview of what their master of teaching program is going to be like 🤔🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Katrinaaa345 said:

I couldn’t agree more, I got early acceptance earlier in the year to western and nearing the end of February I just accepted it since OISE seems to love keeping people waiting. I applied to all three streams for geography before November 15th and everyday I look at acorn and sgs only to see the same thing as I have seen since I’ve submitted my application. Western has already sent out a yearly outline and OISE hasn’t done nothing but take their sweet time. Now I’m actually contemplating if I even get accepted to OISE if I should accept or not. Or is this a preview of what their master of teaching program is going to be like 🤔🤔

Literally exact same thing with me. I emailed the people from western about something today and got such a quick response and it makes you feel so much more positivity towards them. Glad I’m not alone!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, soapyhope said:

Oh my gosh congratulations! this is really awesome news and don't be in disbelief you deserve it. Its honestly nice to hear i didn't do too great in third year either but i've really tried to buckle down for this year. I started joining more clubs and being more involved lol too hope it works out. But honestly, your experience, references and incredible statement of intent probably did the job :D

 

Thank you, and I’m sure that your efforts will shine through! It really does look like the school is considering every possible facet of your experiences so I’m sure that those would play a huge part in getting you in!

12 hours ago, NSNSNSNS said:

Omg congratulations!!! Don't doubt yourself you deserve it! 

do you mind sharing what your experience was? 

(I'm trying to improve my experience rn and would like anything to look up to lol)

So, I had a bunch of experience from first-year to my third-year of undergrad with science research, usually with chemistry-related topics. After third-year when I realized that I didn’t want to make a start-up company like a lot of people from my program usually do, or go into grad research and do research for life, I reflected and realized that teaching was the way to go for me. From there, I immediately took on a tutoring position at Waterloo that a prof friend of mine offered me, tutoring chemistry to first-year students in residence weekly. From there, I took on an 8-month co-op as a teaching assistant for Waterloo’s professional development program, helping to run some online courseware and doing a lot of marking. From there, I graduated and got a contract job with Spirit of Math and I’m still working there now as a teacher. I also tutor privately whenever I’m not doing my salary job. Overall, there was a lot of moving parts. Even if I got in mostly from my own hard work, I still do give much credit to a lot of people who helped me along the way. A good support system can work wonders I’ve learned.

 

Edited by TriforceRaven99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those on this forum who have received an offer of admission and accepted it, are there any social groups set up yet online for incoming teacher candidates?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, TriforceRaven99 said:

Thank you, and I’m sure that your efforts will shine through! It really does look like the school is considering every possible facet of your experiences so I’m sure that those would play a huge part in getting you in!

So, I had a bunch of experience from first-year to my third-year of undergrad with science research, usually with chemistry-related topics. After third-year when I realized that I didn’t want to make a start-up company like a lot of people from my program usually do, or go into grad research and do research for life, I reflected and realized that teaching was the way to go for me. From there, I immediately took on a tutoring position at Waterloo that a prof friend of mine offered me, tutoring chemistry to first-year students in residence weekly. From there, I took on an 8-month co-op as a teaching assistant for Waterloo’s professional development program, helping to run some online courseware and doing a lot of marking. From there, I graduated and got a contract job with Spirit of Math and I’m still working there now as a teacher. I also tutor privately whenever I’m not doing my salary job. Overall, there was a lot of moving parts. Even if I got in mostly from my own hard work, I still do give much credit to a lot of people who helped me along the way. A good support system can work wonders I’ve learned.

 

Wow this is really good! Thank you so much and congrats again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey! Still waiting too... does anyone know if J/I acceptances have gone out yet? I got the rejection letter form the MA but MT J/I is my first choice. Also does anyone have an explanation of where on Acorn you have seen the invited ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Frenchie13 said:

Hey! Still waiting too... does anyone know if J/I acceptances have gone out yet? I got the rejection letter form the MA but MT J/I is my first choice. Also does anyone have an explanation of where on Acorn you have seen the invited ?

Welcome to the waiting club. People have been accepted, waitlisted, and rejected in all of the streams. I just emailed them to hopefully get an updated estimation of when we should hear by. On acorn I think its in the box called academics. Mine still looks normal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Pycelle said:

Just got the acorn update to "Invited" but no official letter... I know its been a good sign in the past but still very nervous.

ahh that’s so exciting! keep us posted good luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got rejected :( 

future applicants, please make sure that you have TONS of experience (more than 1 year)! GPA's and marks aren't all that important..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got waitlisted for all three streams on Wednesday, so heartbroken! Has anyone been accepted from the waitlist yet by any chance?! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MM17mm said:

I got waitlisted for all three streams on Wednesday, so heartbroken! Has anyone been accepted from the waitlist yet by any chance?! 

To make you feel better I just declined MT P/J on Wednesday so other people may be declining as well. I’m sure some spots will open up! Fingers crossed for you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.