University of Toronto iSchool Fall 2019

marloe

Found the other thread from 2018 related to the University of Toronto's iSchool programs very helpful, so thought I would start a thread for this upcoming year. 

Anyone else apply for the ischool programs for next year? Have you applied to other schools ? 

I applied to the Master of Information program for fall, and got an acceptance letter in mid January. I submitted my application in early November. 

I have also applied to the Communication and Culture at Ryerson, but haven't heard back anything from Ryerson yet. The MI program is my preferred program between the two, but I am only worry about the iSchool program is the cost compared to the program at Ryerson.  

I applied for Fall 2019. ISD and UXD were my top choices, since HCDS wasn't announced until after I'd paid for my app already. Also applied to Waterloo's MDEI and Carleton's HCI (MA) program.

20 hours ago, honsul said:

I also applied to the iSchool - Fall 2019, PhD program. 

Anyone else get an e-invite to their March Info Week?

Yeah. Fairly certain it was just a mass mailout to anyone who's applied for their programs. 

I got that mail out as well. I went to the info day in the Fall, and it seems pretty similar to it. 

I had applied for CIPS and ISD, because the HCDS also did exist when I submitted my application in early November. I emailed them that I was interested in the HCDS after I applied and they changed my application. I am not sure if concentration choice, has an impact on whether you are accepted or not though. I was curious about that when I first applied.

I am still a bit torn on what concentration I want to focus on. I have really specific research interests related to AI and the impact of data and analytics, so I thought that the HCDS option made the most sense but I am a bit worried about the math elements of it. 

I have a computer science degree that I got in 2001, so I took a fair amount of math courses in University, but some of them (like calc) I really struggled with. It is part of why I didn't apply to any Comp Sci grad programs. I want to a mix of a bit of technical classes and theory classes where you study their societal impact, and the iSchool seemed like a better option. 

On 2/9/2019 at 8:29 PM, najo said:

I applied for Fall 2019. ISD and UXD were my top choices, since HCDS wasn't announced until after I'd paid for my app already. Also applied to Waterloo's MDEI and Carleton's HCI (MA) program.

Literally the same programs I'm interested in as well, in that exact order.

I just got an email saying a decision is made and I've been admitted! Yay! They have given me 4 weeks to accept. I have also chosen ISD and UXD as my concentrations. I am worried about the cost and will only be able to attend if I get OSAP funding and some bank loan. Any idea who to talk to for that?

Edited by Reza2019

7 hours ago, Reza2019 said:

I just got an email saying a decision is made and I've been admitted! Yay! They have given me 4 weeks to accept. I have also chosen ISD and UXD as my concentrations. I am worried about the cost and will only be able to attend if I get OSAP funding and some bank loan. Any idea who to talk to for that?

Congratulations! Can we ask what your background is like? Major, GPA, any experience, all that? Also, when did you submit your entire app? 

I've never had to outsource outside of OSAP, but there's a whole section in the forum about that sorta thing. Student Line of Credit is probably the most common move. 

11 hours ago, AdrW said:

Hey, I've applied for the UX and ICD concentrations as well, but I'm interested in HCDS instead of ICD. Should I email them about choosing the HCDS stream?

Applied around January 25th, waiting for a response since then.

They're pretty swift with emails, so there's no harm in trying?

6 hours ago, najo said:

Congratulations! Can we ask what your background is like? Major, GPA, any experience, all that? Also, when did you submit your entire app? 

I've never had to outsource outside of OSAP, but there's a whole section in the forum about that sorta thing. Student Line of Credit is probably the most common move. 

They're pretty swift with emails, so there's no harm in trying?

Thank you very much! My background: B.Sc in Computer Science (GPA 3.59) back in 2005. So I have been working in for a while but not in UXD. I am a career changer, I guess. I submitted my application on Jan 31.

Although I am a Canadian Perm Resident, I have not lived in Canada at all so I am totally unfamiliar with the method of applying for OSAP and gradhouse housing applications. I have about $45k in savings but I'm not sure if I want to use every penny of that for this degree. As someone with no Canadian work experience, I don't want to end up investing all my savings and ending up moving back to my hometown where I will not be able to recoup the money.

I couldn't find definitive answers for these questions on the forum amongst all the posts:

1. Is it possible to first see exactly how much OSAP funding I would get without accepting the iSchool offer? What is the deadline to apply for OSAP? It looks like applications aren't even open yet (https://www.ontario.ca/page/how-apply-osap)

2. Based on the career services report,  graduates from UXD at iSchool usually earn around $60k but do you know how much the summer internships pay and how many people get them?

3. Is there any other source of funding I am not seeing?

4. Anyone looking to room together in Toronto assuming we all get in :)

Edited by Reza2019

5 hours ago, Reza2019 said:

3. Is there any other source of funding I am not seeing?

I am not sure if this applies to international students, or even if you are considered an international student if you have permanent residency, but have been told there are also a certain amount of entrance awards as long as you have applied by the January 31st deadline. I have no confirmation of this, but I have feeling there aren't really as many UofT financial supports as there would be in "regular" non-professionally geared academic programs. Most masters programs that are more academically/research focused (like a MA in History, MSc in Chemistry etc.) some form of entrance awards or financial support are pretty routine, but I don't think that is the case with iSchool programs. 

I have been told by the admissions people that financial support decisions are being made this month, and as of a few days ago no decisions have been made yet. 

The cost of the school is the big deciding factor for me. I, like you, graduated from uni awhile ago in 2001, and was hoping to do a bit of a career change aswell. I have a comp sci degree, but I have been working in media / journalism for the last 12 years and want to start doing a bit more tech oriented stuff again. That is why I felt the iSchool program was a good choice, could do some comp sci'ish courses, and also some more academic theory like classes. 

Thank you so much. I think this program recruits a fair number of career changers with assorted backgrounds. As far as status is concerned, I am considered Canadian because of my Permanent Residence card even though I have only lived in Canada for 2 weeks. Go figure. 

As far as funding is concerned I have done some research: this program is OSAP eligible. And there is Scotia Bank line of credit available to cover any OSAP shortfall. There are also a bunch of scholarships that you can get, some of which require separate applications (e.g. OGS), but most usually require a A- cgpa

Are you planning to accept or will you research your options? I may take a few more weeks to decide.

My name is Reza btw.

21 minutes ago, stuart_d said:

I am not sure if this applies to international students, or even if you are considered an international student if you have permanent residency, but have been told there are also a certain amount of entrance awards as long as you have applied by the January 31st deadline. I have no confirmation of this, but I have feeling there aren't really as many UofT financial supports as there would be in "regular" non-professionally geared academic programs. Most masters programs that are more academically/research focused (like a MA in History, MSc in Chemistry etc.) some form of entrance awards or financial support are pretty routine, but I don't think that is the case with iSchool programs. 

I have been told by the admissions people that financial support decisions are being made this month, and as of a few days ago no decisions have been made yet. 

The cost of the school is the big deciding factor for me. I, like you, graduated from uni awhile ago in 2001, and was hoping to do a bit of a career change aswell. I have a comp sci degree, but I have been working in media / journalism for the last 12 years and want to start doing a bit more tech oriented stuff again. That is why I felt the iSchool program was a good choice, could do some comp sci'ish courses, and also some more academic theory like classes. 

I thought I would join the conversation since I received my notice of admission last week and will be submitting my acceptance later this week! I applied for the MI program with a concentration in UXD. I do not have a CS background, but I do have 20 years of experience as a public school teacher and instructional coach. I am an American citizen and look forward to moving to Toronto over the summer.

Congratulations to those who have received an offer already! Thank you for starting this thread, as I am hoping to connect with future classmates and be a source of support when I can.

Edited by Young36
Formatting

11 hours ago, Reza2019 said:

1. Is it possible to first see exactly how much OSAP funding I would get without accepting the iSchool offer? What is the deadline to apply for OSAP? It looks like applications aren't even open yet (https://www.ontario.ca/page/how-apply-osap)

There is an OSAP Aid Estimator (https://osap.gov.on.ca/AidEstimator1718Web/enterapp/enter.xhtml), but for now you can only get an estimate for this school year (2018-2019). Next year's won't be available until the Spring, I think. It's fairly accurate. Applications generally don't open until late Spring, as well.

Hi guys! I also applied to MI program and have a question seeking advice from you guys:

I applied originally being an international student, but I am about to become a Canadian Permanent Resident very soon (my application for PR has recently been approved, and I need to land in Canada to activate my PR. I have not landed yet.) 

I have not received any decision from the department, and am wondering at what point should I notify the committee about my status change?

Also, will this change from international student to PR affect my MI application?

Thanks! Wish everybody good luck :)

Edited by parachuti

20 hours ago, Reza2019 said:

Are you planning to accept or will you research your options? I may take a few more weeks to decide.

I am waiting to hear from Ryerson, where I applied to the Communications and Culture MA program and hopefully hear something the iSchool either way about funding before I decide. The iSchool program is my preference the cost is the only thing that is weighing on mind a bit. 

3 hours ago, stuart_d said:

I am waiting to hear from Ryerson, where I applied to the Communications and Culture MA program and hopefully hear something the iSchool either way about funding before I decide. The iSchool program is my preference the cost is the only thing that is weighing on mind a bit. 

I have applied to Ryerson too but I don't think I will go there simply because it is not well known outside Canada and I would like to explore opportunities in the US and the Middle East after I have worked in Canada for a year or so.

Also, are you a Canadian national because that impacts fees. 

13 hours ago, stuart_d said:

I am a Canadian citizen, I live in Toronto, so I would pay the domestic fees, but even with that they are still over $13,000 a year (and that was last year's tuition rates). Even if I get no financial support from Ryerson their tuition is only $5k a year. U of T does have the more renowned reputation though particularly internationally. That being said though with U of T because of the cost, I am going to have to work at least a bit at the same time as school to afford it, where with Ryerson's lower costs I may not have to, at least as much.  Part of thought is that if I don't have to work as much then perhaps I could do more with my grad school studies, then I could if I had to work more hours. 

On 2/14/2019 at 7:21 PM, stuart_d said:

I am a Canadian citizen, I live in Toronto, so I would pay the domestic fees, but even with that they are still over $13,000 a year (and that was last year's tuition rates). Even if I get no financial support from Ryerson their tuition is only $5k a year. U of T does have the more renowned reputation though particularly internationally. That being said though with U of T because of the cost, I am going to have to work at least a bit at the same time as school to afford it, where with Ryerson's lower costs I may not have to, at least as much.  Part of thought is that if I don't have to work as much then perhaps I could do more with my grad school studies, then I could if I had to work more hours. 

Stuart, I have similar concerns but I believe that I should be able to cover the costs with the help of OSAP funding and the Scotiabank loan. There are also paid co-op and internships in the summer. 

I didn't see a UXD degree at Ryerson. I guess they touch upon in communications. 

On 2/16/2019 at 4:50 AM, spacea said:

Someone posted an acceptance in the results thread, could they please elaborate? Thanks in advance!

That was probably me. See my stats above. 

I applied to the MI UXD specialization on Jan 29th. Still haven't heard back from them, but had a friend who also applied a few days later for a different specialization and got in barely a week into Feb. Not sure what this means considering some of you in UXD already got acceptance letters, but I do hope I get in. It seems like a very rich and exciting program

2 hours ago, ewh1 said:

I applied to the MI UXD specialization on Jan 29th. Still haven't heard back from them, but had a friend who also applied a few days later for a different specialization and got in barely a week into Feb. Not sure what this means considering some of you in UXD already got acceptance letters, but I do hope I get in. It seems like a very rich and exciting program

I completed my application for their MI with UXD concentration on January 7 and received the official offer via email on February 11. As others have mentioned in years past in other Gradcafe threads, I also noticed a change in my Acorn account to "Invited" the week prior. I tried not to get my hopes up while waiting for official confirmation, but my enthusiasm got the better of me. Best of luck to you and keep us posted! 

On 2/19/2019 at 2:12 AM, Reza2019 said:

Stuart, I have similar concerns but I believe that I should be able to cover the costs with the help of OSAP funding and the Scotiabank loan. There are also paid co-op and internships in the summer. 

I didn't see a UXD degree at Ryerson. I guess they touch upon in communications. 

Yeah, the Ryerson Communications and Culture MA, isn't really a technical degree it is a more a traditional communications degree. It probably has coursework similar to the Critical Information Policy Studies and Culture and Technology iSchool concentrations.