University of Toronto iSchool Fall 2019

marloe

Hello!

Any international applicants who have received the offer of admission?I applied for the ISD and UXD concentrations early in January, still haven't heard back from them yet. The wait is driving me nuts!

2 hours ago, Mari2193 said:

Hello!

Any international applicants who have received the offer of admission?I applied for the ISD and UXD concentrations early in January, still haven't heard back from them yet. The wait is driving me nuts!

Same here. Applied in late Jan, waiting anxiously.

From my rough recollection of what I was told in the fall, they do their admissions on a rolling basis, so the acceptances you are seeing may be from people who applied in the fall. At least that is the case with me. 

Has anyone who has been accepted heard anything about any financial support? Don't know when I should give up on that. 

On 2/26/2019 at 9:12 AM, stuart_d said:

From my rough recollection of what I was told in the fall, they do their admissions on a rolling basis, so the acceptances you are seeing may be from people who applied in the fall. At least that is the case with me. 

Has anyone who has been accepted heard anything about any financial support? Don't know when I should give up on that. 

Pretty sure someone else mentioned that award and stuff would be mentioned come March, so soon! 

--

All in all with you guys. Applied Jan 31st. Haven't heard anything back and it's become nerve wracking. 

I got the offer of admission letter yesterday! Finally! Phewww.. Does anyone know if scholarships are announced as part of the offer letter or do they come in separately? 

11 hours ago, Mari2193 said:

I got the offer of admission letter yesterday! Finally! Phewww.. Does anyone know if scholarships are announced as part of the offer letter or do they come in separately? 

From my general understanding it is separate. I asked about funding in the iSchool mentor group on Facebook and the students there have been saying that funding is a bit rare. I was once told from an ischool staff person that decisions would be made in February, but I asked a few weeks ago and nothing has been decided yet. I just asked again, will report back if I hear anything.  

3 hours ago, stuart_d said:

From my general understanding it is separate. I asked about funding in the iSchool mentor group on Facebook and the students there have been saying that funding is a bit rare. I was once told from an ischool staff person that decisions would be made in February, but I asked a few weeks ago and nothing has been decided yet. I just asked again, will report back if I hear anything.  

Oh! Thank you!

Hi guys, 

I've read this thread and I've applied for MI at UofT, MDEI at Waterloo and HCI at Carleton. Does anyone have any insight to what the best program is? I know that UofT is the highest ranked University but from a job perspective, does anyone know which program is the best? Which program is most likely to get you a job?

(I want to be a UX researcher/designer)

4 hours ago, Lokey said:

Hi guys, 

I've read this thread and I've applied for MI at UofT, MDEI at Waterloo and HCI at Carleton. Does anyone have any insight to what the best program is? I know that UofT is the highest ranked University but from a job perspective, does anyone know which program is the best? Which program is most likely to get you a job?

(I want to be a UX researcher/designer)

I applied to the exact same programs as you. When it came down to it, what edged UofT up over the others is the potential for co-op, and being able to stay in the city. Waterloo was my second choice because it's got a number of industry projects, and its capstone is a major project. Carleton more depends, I think. Which stream did you apply to? MA, MASc, or MCS? From what poking around I did, it seemed like comp sci majors had it best in terms of research opportunities throughout the degree, while MA/MASc students would have to still compete with MCS for any opportunities open to them, currently. 

14 hours ago, parachuti said:

Congrats!!!

Thanks a ton. :)

18 hours ago, najo said:

I applied to the exact same programs as you. When it came down to it, what edged UofT up over the others is the potential for co-op, and being able to stay in the city. Waterloo was my second choice because it's got a number of industry projects, and its capstone is a major project. Carleton more depends, I think. Which stream did you apply to? MA, MASc, or MCS? From what poking around I did, it seemed like comp sci majors had it best in terms of research opportunities throughout the degree, while MA/MASc students would have to still compete with MCS for any opportunities open to them, currently. 

Thanks a ton. :)

Yes, coop was a big factor for me as well but I've heard that it's super competitive so chances I would get it are super low. Because of this I was wondering if Waterloo or Carleton edged out UofT. At Carleton I did apply for MCS but I'm still unsure about what the best program would be.

And congratulations on your admit!!

18 hours ago, Lokey said:

Yes, coop was a big factor for me as well but I've heard that it's super competitive so chances I would get it are super low. Because of this I was wondering if Waterloo or Carleton edged out UofT. At Carleton I did apply for MCS but I'm still unsure about what the best program would be.

And congratulations on your admit!!

Even without coop, though, you can still take on internship credits. Don't forget that as an option, as well. Of course you can do your own internships during the summer even without credit while at any school, though.

Without either of those, I guess it's dependent on what you want to do afterward, and other factors. You could get decent funding from Carleton, a TAship, and none from UofT or Waterloo. If you care to be on the west coast US, Waterloo's a much better known name there. Carleton's MCS focus seems to be heavily on security and UI, judging by the faculty and their recent research. Chiasson and Biddle are prime selling points. If that's your endgame, of the lot, I'd choose Carleton. 

I'd only be eligible for the MA at Carleton because my undergrad is in psych, which is why I'm less keen on it. It's more limiting than Waterloo and UofT's program in what I can do, since my research would be bottlenecked by the degree type alone.

Edited by najo
formatting

Yeah, I think my main goal would be to just get a job. So whichever university would give me the best chance at that with the most job opportunities would be the one I would want to go to. I'm not sure if there is one that the industry prefers or if the University even matters to them.

UofT is definitely the highest ranked and the internship credits are something that would help with that. I didn't know that Waterloo was more known on the west coast though. Availability of funding at Carleton is definitely a plus but the course seems way more research oriented than I might like.

I'm still in two minds about what the best choice would be. 

On 3/1/2019 at 9:55 AM, Mari2193 said:

Hi Mari2193! I was following the iSchool 2019 thread and noticed that you are an international student. Me too! I applied for the program late Jan 2019 and haven't received a decision yet. Would you be comfortable posting your overall profile (experience, academic profile, test scores)?

Also, my application is Under Review. Does anyone have any idea until when can I expect a decision?

Edited by health3

2 hours ago, health3 said:

Also, my application is Under Review. Does anyone have any idea until when can I expect a decision?

It's rolling admissions, so there's no real "when." There's just priority based on when your application was put in. They say May is when the last round will go through, though. 

Hey guys,

I got accepted on March 12 and will be in the UX Concentration!

Super excited everything worked out. If there is one thing I've learned is that its super important to follow up.

Anyways, looking forward to the program along with meeting all of you that are going in the fall. :)

3 hours ago, ewh1 said:

Hey guys,

I got accepted on March 12 and will be in the UX Concentration!

Super excited everything worked out. If there is one thing I've learned is that its super important to follow up.

Anyways, looking forward to the program along with meeting all of you that are going in the fall. :)

Hi ewh1, congratulations!!!

May I ask, what do you mean by "follow up"? I tried to email Carol one time asking about an estimated wait time (since I have another offer of admission waiting out there), but she just replied saying when a decision is made they will contact me. Not sure how to follow up, or how to make the process go quicker ?

Oh, I just figured it might of helped getting my application seen. I actually did the same thing as you, I emailed and got the same reply, but then all of a sudden I got my acceptance this week. It might have just been good timing though.

How long ago did you apply?

17 hours ago, ewh1 said:

Oh, I just figured it might of helped getting my application seen. I actually did the same thing as you, I emailed and got the same reply, but then all of a sudden I got my acceptance this week. It might have just been good timing though.

How long ago did you apply?

I got all my material uploaded on Jan 30ish. I guess you had good timing, then! ?

On 3/14/2019 at 12:43 AM, health3 said:

Hi Mari2193! I was following the iSchool 2019 thread and noticed that you are an international student. Me too! I applied for the program late Jan 2019 and haven't received a decision yet. Would you be comfortable posting your overall profile (experience, academic profile, test scores)?

Hey health3, sure!

I completed my Bachelors of Engineering in Information Technology back in 2015 with a First Class/Division in all of the semesters. So I have been working for almost 4 years now as a developer in .NET and JAVA. And My IELTS test score is 8.

I got to know from the admissions team that the scholarships for the early applicants are expected to be announced by mid-March, has anyone heard anything about it?

Also, did anyone apply to the TALInt program? Haven’t heard back about that either.

20 hours ago, Mari2193 said:

Hey health3, sure!

I completed my Bachelors of Engineering in Information Technology back in 2015 with a First Class/Division in all of the semesters. So I have been working for almost 4 years now as a developer in .NET and JAVA. And My IELTS test score is 8.

I got to know from the admissions team that the scholarships for the early applicants are expected to be announced by mid-March, has anyone heard anything about it?

Also, did anyone apply to the TALInt program? Haven’t heard back about that either.

I haven't heard back about the TALInt program or any scholarships. Not sure if they've already gone out or if they haven't yet.