Jump to content
rosch

RISD Digital + Media

Recommended Posts

If anyone is currently enrolled in or an alum of RISD’s D + M MFA program — can you shed light on the program? Would you recommend it for someone interested in experimental film, photography, and transmedia? I looked through some of the student works and find it very different from what I’ve done...but the curriculum and descriptions seem aligned with my interests so I’m confused.

 

I managed to get an interview, but am freaking out about it. I can’t find much information anywhere...what is the interview like? How should I best prepare?

 

thanks!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Rosch, I also received the interview invitation from DM one week ago and I am still struggle with my language....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When’s your interview?

Mine’s this Wednesday. I’ve been prepping by looking over each faculty site (their influences, work, etc.) and the alumni work (theses and personal sites). It’s been helpful because I want to feel confident that my own interests align with with they’re producing. 

 

I’ve been practicing for basic questions like:

- tell me about yourself

- what are your research interests

- who’s an artist that inspires you

- why pursue grad school now and why this program 

- describe your creative process

 

I’ve re-read my statement of purpose and went over the submission materials too. Also, I jotted down some questions I want to ask...I think I’m ready at this point lol.

 

Anything you’d like to add to my prep list?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG, Wednesday too. So it means there seems to be more students receive the invitation than I imaged before.

I prepare the questions like:

1/Why come to DM

2/Your research interest

3/What you want to learn here

4/(**any questions you want to ask** section) 

 

These questions are the information I collected from a fellow student(she took the DM interview), but it was 6 years ago - -

Edited by Ariliano

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ariliano said:

OMG, Wednesday too. So it means there seems to be more students receive the invitation than I imaged before.

I prepare the questions like:

1/Why come to DM

2/Your research interest

3/What you want to learn here

4/(**any questions you want to ask** section) 

 

These questions are the information I collected from a fellow student(she took the DM interview), but it was 6 years ago - -

Oh wow! Mine is Wednesday at 7 pm! It’s interesting that they have four full days of interviewing, yet not a lot of info from former or potential students...

do you know how many interviewers are in the panel? 

Edited by rosch
Ugh horrible typo!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Bol and @Sophie K — since you mentioned scheduling an interview with RISD D+M in another forum, I’m adding you here.

Have either of you done your skype interview? Could you give feedback on it and how best to prepare?

 

thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rosch said:

@Bol and @Sophie K — since you mentioned scheduling an interview with RISD D+M in another forum, I’m adding you here.

Have either of you done your skype interview? Could you give feedback on it and how best to prepare?

 

thanks!

I'm working on the interview preparation right now. My interview is on Weds.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Bol Dang, we’re all apart of the Wednesday round. Good luck!

I’m curious to know what your undergrad background was in?

Edited by rosch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 minutes ago, rosch said:

Dang, we’re all apart of the Wednesday round. Good luck!

I’m curious to know what your undergrad background was in?

Lol, Yes I just read your previous comments. I am right after you I think. My schedule is 7:15pm.

I studied Broadcasting & Film (Media Studies) and Business Administration. 

I'm preparing in a similar way with you guys. Looking over my SOP and portfolio and writing answers for general questions like Why RISD, Why DM? Why now? Why graduate school? Inspiration? Goal? and Questions about my works.

Edited by Bol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, rosch said:

Oh wow! Mine is Wednesday at 7 pm! It’s interesting that they have four full days of interviewing, yet not a lot of info from former or potential students...

do you know how many interviewers are in the panel? 

Mine 8 pm, lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha wow I thought 7 pm was kind of late,  but I guess they have a jam-packed night of interviews. 

Also, I asked the coordinator about the panel and she said there will be 3 or 4 interviewers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck on the interview!!

 

I just finished mine and it wasn’t scary at all. The faculty members are really nice and the whole vibe is casual. They asked only these questions —

why D+M?

what are your research interests?

what do you want to get out of the program?

what do you want to do after graduation?

choose a work from your portfolio and talk about the process. 

I asked 2 questions and the whole thing was about 12 minutes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, rosch said:

Good luck on the interview!!

 

I just finished mine and it wasn’t scary at all. The faculty members are really nice and the whole vibe is casual. They asked only these questions —

why D+M?

what are your research interests?

what do you want to get out of the program?

what do you want to do after graduation?

choose a work from your portfolio and talk about the process. 

I asked 2 questions and the whole thing was about 12 minutes. 

Finished mine as well. Similar questions as yours and also takes about 13 mins.

I did not remember I answered right or not... lol... now, fingers crossed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't realize I had told too much and they only asked me the first two :( have to say the video experience is not so good.

Then I found the invitation from Calarts comes, do you guys also apply the A&T?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ariliano said:

I didn't realize I had told too much and they only asked me the first two :( have to say the video experience is not so good.

Then I found the invitation from Calarts comes, do you guys also apply the A&T?

I got the invitation from Art and tech after my interview as well ! I'm thinking whether I have to visit campus or not....... CA is 12hrs aways from where I live lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bol said:

I got the invitation from Art and tech after my interview as well ! I'm thinking whether I have to visit campus or not....... CA is 12hrs aways from where I live lol

Another so "fine art" department. I have to say  my original research interests are more about design rather than art.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ariliano @rosch Do you guys remember who was in the interview exactly? I actually couldn't see two of prof next to prof. Kitchen

Were they Cooke and Cetilia..? 

Edited by Bol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Bol yeah I think it was them plus two on audio. 

 

@Bol @Ariliano I didn’t apply to CalArts, but congrats to the both of you for getting an interview!

 

@Ariliano I think the interview experience differs for everyone. I doubt you taking too long on those questions is bad...it’s a lot to go over and I think it just shows passion 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surprisingly there were 5 panels. and they asked

1)Why are you applying to DM RISD?

2)What's your goal through Graduate program?

3)Choose a work from your portfolio and talk about the process. 

4)Plan after graduation?

5)Any collaborative experience?

5)Questions

 

the interview took 14mins.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got an email letting me know I’ve been accepted! Hope everyone else hears back too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, rosch said:

I got an email letting me know I’ve been accepted! Hope everyone else hears back too!

Congrat!! I also got an acceptance  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats all!! Me too wow haha :) I still have interviews left, Artcenter and Calarts. But RISD is my first choice so I might accept the offer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Sophie K @Bol Are you worried about funding at all? I'm hoping the official letter gives me more options financially. I'm speaking with students for more information, but just wondering -- is the bulk of your work or what you envision your future work conceptual? The student work I've seen is a lot more conceptual than anything I've done. But the course descriptions sound so freaking perfect, so I'm just a bit torn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2019 at 10:02 PM, rosch said:

When’s your interview?

Mine’s this Wednesday. I’ve been prepping by looking over each faculty site (their influences, work, etc.) and the alumni work (theses and personal sites). It’s been helpful because I want to feel confident that my own interests align with with they’re producing. 

 

I’ve been practicing for basic questions like:

- tell me about yourself

- what are your research interests

- who’s an artist that inspires you

- why pursue grad school now and why this program 

- describe your creative process

 

I’ve re-read my statement of purpose and went over the submission materials too. Also, I jotted down some questions I want to ask...I think I’m ready at this point lol.

 

Anything you’d like to add to my prep list?

 

Hello, I also applied to RISD DM program. Are tou guys (whoever had the interviews) i ternational students or domestic? Cuz, I emailed to RISD admission office if the program conducts the i terview. And they replied they only do it to check the englih proficiency(?) I'm very confused. So, therr are people who already got accepted?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@sparky7184 I’m a domestic student. Did you reach out to the D+M department specifically or RISD admissions? Nothing is final yet because my email said to respond by mid-March to open slots up for other students. There’s still hope :) best thing to do is reach out the the specific department and wait it out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.