Hunter Silberman School Fall 2019 Admissions

ML878

Hi everyone! I got my acceptance from Hunter on February 28th (SUBMITTED: 12/18, COMPLETED: 12/19) without interview; this was for the Advanced Standing track. I was very surprised at first to not get any notification for an interview and happened to see the decision from obsessively logging in to check on my app LOL! I was debating between NYU and Hunter, and my heart set on Hunter. I am very happy with my decision and already gave in my deposit. I hope everyone gets in and we see each other either this summer or fall :)

Has anyone had any luck receiving an emailed response when asking about their decision. To make things clearer,  I have to get back to a school by March 15th about my decision on attending. I Skype interviewed on 2/26 and was told I would hear back on a decision within 3 weeks (which would be March 19th). I emailed twice asking if I would hear a decision by March 15th, but I haven't received a response yet. It's been 5 business days since I emailed the Social Work Admissions. I'm sure they're swamped right now, but I was curious to see if anyone was in the same boat as I am. Should I call admissions, or should I wait to hear back via email?

20 minutes ago, adj_Hin said:

Has anyone had any luck receiving an emailed response when asking about their decision. To make things clearer,  I have to get back to a school by March 15th about my decision on attending. I Skype interviewed on 2/26 and was told I would hear back on a decision within 3 weeks (which would be March 19th). I emailed twice asking if I would hear a decision by March 15th, but I haven't received a response yet. It's been 5 business days since I emailed the Social Work Admissions. I'm sure they're swamped right now, but I was curious to see if anyone was in the same boat as I am. Should I call admissions, or should I wait to hear back via email?

I have until the 12th and told myself I’d wait until Friday before I sent an email. I think I’m going to call tomorrow and ask if it’s realistic to ask for an ext from the other school or if I should be hearing back shortly. I imagine whoever is answering the call has no idea though and they probably get so many of those calls. Good to know we’re on the same timeline, I interviewed on the 26th as well. My app status still says ‘pending interview.’ Losing my beans I want to get in so badly!! I’m also not sure if this is true but I read on one of these threads that a lot of schools send their decisions out on Fridays!? 

9 hours ago, Yve_ said:

Hi everyone! I got my acceptance from Hunter on February 28th (SUBMITTED: 12/18, COMPLETED: 12/19) without interview; this was for the Advanced Standing track. I was very surprised at first to not get any notification for an interview and happened to see the decision from obsessively logging in to check on my app LOL! I was debating between NYU and Hunter, and my heart set on Hunter. I am very happy with my decision and already gave in my deposit. I hope everyone gets in and we see each other either this summer or fall :)

Yayyyy congratulations!!! It seems like those who didn’t get an interview are all advanced standing?! Where are you planning to live? 

10 hours ago, Zeppelin14 said:

I have until the 12th and told myself I’d wait until Friday before I sent an email. I think I’m going to call tomorrow and ask if it’s realistic to ask for an ext from the other school or if I should be hearing back shortly. I imagine whoever is answering the call has no idea though and they probably get so many of those calls. Good to know we’re on the same timeline, I interviewed on the 26th as well. My app status still says ‘pending interview.’ Losing my beans I want to get in so badly!! I’m also not sure if this is true but I read on one of these threads that a lot of schools send their decisions out on Fridays!? 

I want to get in badly as well! Hunter is my top choice for graduate school and I'm hoping with my persistent emails that it shows how interested I am.

For those who have been accepted to Hunter for Fall 2019 and are planning on going--I'd love to connect, especially if any of you are from the city too! And if you know of any social media groups for admitted students, please do share--it'd be great to get to know others in my class :) (disclaimer: I haven't officially submitted my deposit, but unless I get a new fin aid package from the school I'm considering, I'll be going to Hunter!!)

And for those who are still waiting to hear back or have interviews scheduled--good luck!!

Edited by ML878

On 3/7/2019 at 9:21 PM, Zeppelin14 said:

Yayyyy congratulations!!! It seems like those who didn’t get an interview are all advanced standing?! Where are you planning to live? 

Hi! I already live in NYC, so it all works out ?

On 3/7/2019 at 9:21 PM, Zeppelin14 said:

I’m actually on the traditional 2 year track, and was accepted without an interview (others in this forum also were accepted without interviews. I read somewhere that Hunter may be considering changing up their admissions process). I’m from NYC and will likely continue to live at home in Queens. But if you’re from out of state and would like housing suggestions, happy to help however I can. I know it’s always stressful trying to figure out housing!

Hi all, 

Just wanted to add my update. I received my email for an interview last Tuesday,  3/5 and scheduled it for this Wednesday 3/13 at 10:30 am. I, too, am surprised that some got into the 2yr program without an interview, but nonetheless excited and also nervous to see how it goes. I submitted my application on 1/31 and was waiting on my school to update my transcript, so I sent those in and completed my application on 3/6. 

Congrats to to everyone who’s been accepted and/or made a decision! And best of luck to the rest of you guys waiting/interviewing. 

So frustrated.  Was offered an interview for 3/1 but I wasn’t available and they said I’d hear back to reschedule.  Nothing in a week so I emailed last Thursday.  Still nothing.  I was able to get an extension for making a decision at NYU, but l’m just tapping my foot waiting for Hunter.  Ugh. 

For those who have been accepted, first off congratulations! Secondly, what time did you receive your decision? I should be heading back this week if I’ve been accepted or not. I’m just getting very impatient and I want to know.

6 hours ago, adj_Hin said:

For those who have been accepted, first off congratulations! Secondly, what time did you receive your decision? I should be heading back this week if I’ve been accepted or not. I’m just getting very impatient and I want to know.

If you want, give them a call. My friend also applied and her application was still marked incomplete but she called today and they changed it to complete and rushed for review. I applied 1/27 and heard back the 1st.

7 hours ago, Doc2016 said:

So frustrated.  Was offered an interview for 3/1 but I wasn’t available and they said I’d hear back to reschedule.  Nothing in a week so I emailed last Thursday.  Still nothing.  I was able to get an extension for making a decision at NYU, but l’m just tapping my foot waiting for Hunter.  Ugh. 

Call them! Hunter never checks their email. Always call!

8 hours ago, adj_Hin said:

Hey!!!! I called yesterday and the admissions person told me it is a matter of waiting for the interviewer to confer with the rest of the admission committee. He offered to “help nudge my interviewer along,” and said it wouldn’t take more than 3 weeks. It’s 2 weeks today and my other school gave me and extension until March 31st to make a decision. Hope this helps!! Waiting stinks! 

1 hour ago, Zeppelin14 said:

Hey!!!! I called yesterday and the admissions person told me it is a matter of waiting for the interviewer to confer with the rest of the admission committee. He offered to “help nudge my interviewer along,” and said it wouldn’t take more than 3 weeks. It’s 2 weeks today and my other school gave me and extension until March 31st to make a decision. Hope this helps!! Waiting stinks! 

I called today and the person I talked to in admissions told me that I would hear back by Friday. They offered to do an expedited decision for me, so I'll hear back by Friday or before. I am so nervous. I feel like I didn't do well in my interview or writing sample.

My decision was posted and unfortunately, I did not get in. Which is okay because my academic advisor once told me that grad schools are based off a matching system and that just meant I Hunter wasn't going to be a good match for me. So that means I'll officially be going to Kean University! So, I'll be making the drive from Missouri to New Jersey! Good luck to everyone who are still currently waiting on their decisions and congratulations to everyone who got in, you all are going to do wonderful.

22 minutes ago, adj_Hin said:

My decision was posted and unfortunately, I did not get in. Which is okay because my academic advisor once told me that grad schools are based off a matching system and that just meant I Hunter wasn't going to be a good match for me. So that means I'll officially be going to Kean University! So, I'll be making the drive from Missouri to New Jersey! Good luck to everyone who are still currently waiting on their decisions and congratulations to everyone who got in, you all are going to do wonderful.

I’m sorry to hear about Hunter. But a HUGE congratulations on Kean University!! School is what you make of it, and you’re going to do great there! Good luck on that big move!

1 hour ago, adj_Hin said:

Trust me when I tell you i feel your pain! Rejection is hard and to be honest no one really knows what hunter is looking for! I know of overqualified people who were also rejected and people with little to no experience who were accepted. Would you mind sharing with us some more details about your interview? 

Hi again! 

I had my interview this morning and wanted to share in case anyone here still has an upcoming one scheduled. There were 8 others in the room and we started exactly on time. The interviewer was very nice and understood a lot of us were nervous and really tried to put us at ease, she said If you were interviewing you were more than half way to an acceptance, and this was a way of putting a face to your application. I would say to prep, think about your volunteer/work experiences and how that is shaping your goals, why hunter? and be prepared for follow up questions about your experiences such as how you dealt with certain things or what you’ve learned about yourself, etc. We then had a scenario that was a bit tricky that we discussed as a group while she listened, followed by the writing piece. I found the writing to be the most intense (even the interviewer said she thinks they should pick a different article) because it you have 25 minutes to read and respond to the article and it was a 3 paged article with small font, and the content was a little dense, by the time I had read and highlighted a few things I only had about 10 minutes. But all in all I think it went well. I would say take your time and think about your responses, and relax and think of it as more of a discussion like you would have in class, and try to be genuine as opposed to what you think they want to hear. Also make sure you’re answering the actual question asked! A lot of people didn’t and got side tracked and carried away talking about specific situations at work that were not relevant, and of course stay away from personal experiences, as they remind you. 

Hope that was helpful to anyone else ( if there even is anyone else) who still needs to interview. Best of luck!

20 hours ago, adj_Hin said:

So sorry about Hunter and a BIG congratulations at Kean!!!! You’re going to be amazing in their program 

Edited by Yve_

I left message yesterday and did not hear back.  Called again this morning and the woman on the other end said, "Oh, we've released more dates... I am not sure why you wouldn't have heard.  I think most have passed, but we have tomorrow available."  Tomorrow!  I have a job and see patients, I can't just cancel with a day's notice!  So frustrated with them.  I was accepted to NYU, but REALLY don't want to spend that much $$$, even with $15k, it's still more for 1 year than Hunter is for 2.  They re supposed to email a link with more dates/times.  

21 hours ago, Andrea2009 said:

Anyone applied for the DOHMH scholarship with the OYR program received any decisions on admissions, interview or status of the scholarship allocations yet? 

I didn't apply for the DOHMH scholarship, but i did get accepted yesterday into the OYR program.  Definitely keep checking the status of your application by logging in and checking your dashboard.  The decision will be posted there first, even before you receive an e-mail.  Good luck!!!