Hunter Silberman School Fall 2019 Admissions

ML878

19 hours ago, Glenda said:

They just emailed me this morning inviting me for an interview!

Blessings, Queen!!

I applied for two-year Community Management. Deadline was 3.10 -- I applied 3.7, and Hunter marked it as "completed" on 3.13, after I called and cleared up the transcript issue. Now we wait :)

But I'm sure you'll be great!

2 hours ago, ML878 said:

For those of you who’ve submitted your enrollment deposit—did you receive a confirmation email of some kind? And if so, does it provide more info on any next steps we need to take? I mailed in my form and check on Saturday and wanted to know if I should plan to call them if I don’t hear anything. Thanks!!

(P.S. good luck to those who are still in the interview stages!)

I called Ms. Lopez and she told me that we'll be receiving an e-mail by the end of the month with information on orientation ETC.  Since you sent them a check, you'll know that they received it once the money gets taken out of your bank account.  I'd say if you don't see the money taken out by the end of this week, you can always call to confirm they've received it.  

29 minutes ago, Rhodalikesducks said:

I called Ms. Lopez and she told me that we'll be receiving an e-mail by the end of the month with information on orientation ETC.  Since you sent them a check, you'll know that they received it once the money gets taken out of your bank account.  I'd say if you don't see the money taken out by the end of this week, you can always call to confirm they've received it.  

This was super helpful—thanks so much!! I’ll plan to call them if I don’t see the money being withdrawn from my account by end of the week.

5 hours ago, ML878 said:

For those of you who’ve submitted your enrollment deposit—did you receive a confirmation email of some kind? And if so, does it provide more info on any next steps we need to take? I mailed in my form and check on Saturday and wanted to know if I should plan to call them if I don’t hear anything. Thanks!!

(P.S. good luck to those who are still in the interview stages!)

No, I didn’t receive a confirmation email. I’m already a CUNY student btw so I’m not sure if you are, but this was my experience. What they’ll do is that they’ll process your commitment. Hunter College should email you within a week and a half or so stating that you are officially a Hunter student. Also, I got the same info as the person above. Lopez said the same thing.

Edited by Yve_

6 hours ago, jonnn said:

Blessings, Queen!!

I applied for two-year Community Management. Deadline was 3.10 -- I applied 3.7, and Hunter marked it as "completed" on 3.13, after I called and cleared up the transcript issue. Now we wait :)

But I'm sure you'll be great!

Thank you! I'm sure you'll be receiving an email soon enough.

9 hours ago, adeena29 said:

Hi all just wanted to give a bit of background on my timeline for the application process. 

I applied for the OYR program on 2/26/19 and my application was completed on 3/20/19. I received an email for a group interview on 03/25/19 and will be interviewing this week. I'm basically a ball of jumbled nerves but it is really awesome to hear about everyone's experiences. And I'll be sure to update if I hear anything back. Sending everyone positive vibes! 

This is very similar to me except I applied on 3/1. I heard back yesterday to come in for an interview but all the dates they had available on eventbrite was sold out. Now I have to wait for more dates to open up. 

Im sure you will do great, from what I've learn through obsessing over this interview process, is it to be yourself and be honest. Use whatever experience you have to your advantage. I think once you mingle with the other candidates you will feel better. Let us know how it goes! good luck!!

2 hours ago, Yve_ said:

No, I didn’t receive a confirmation email. I’m already a CUNY student btw so I’m not sure if you are, but this was my experience. What they’ll do is that they’ll process your commitment. Hunter College should email you within a week and a half or so stating that you are officially a Hunter student. Also, I got the same info as the person above. Lopez said the same thing.

Thanks for providing more info on the process! I’m not a CUNY student so any info on how Hunter works is helpful.

It seems like we’ll be in the same cohort then—looking forward to meeting you and others in this forum in person!!

10 hours ago, ML878 said:

Thanks for providing more info on the process! I’m not a CUNY student so any info on how Hunter works is helpful.

It seems like we’ll be in the same cohort then—looking forward to meeting you and others in this forum in person!!

This is so exciting  :) 

Theyre going to email us soon about a pre-orientation. Maybe we’ll see each other there soon

On 3/26/2019 at 10:00 AM, adeena29 said:

Hi all just wanted to give a bit of background on my timeline for the application process. 

I applied for the OYR program on 2/26/19 and my application was completed on 3/20/19. I received an email for a group interview on 03/25/19 and will be interviewing this week. I'm basically a ball of jumbled nerves but it is really awesome to hear about everyone's experiences. And I'll be sure to update if I hear anything back. Sending everyone positive vibes! 

HI all, 

Just wanted to give an update. I completed my interview  on 03/27/19 and received an acceptance letter via email on 3/28/19. The interview was with about 13 other candidates. The interviewer also said it was a much larger group than usual so we were honestly time checked pretty often. I felt as though I did not make the best impression or get enough time to really answer the questions as adequately as I wanted. Everyone was very kind and respectful. The article was really dense and because we ran over our time(due to the large group) had about 20 mins to read/respond to it. I have until 04/08/19 to respond. Since Hunter was my first choice I am thrilled about the acceptance. I plan on submitting the commitment deposit this Monday. I wish the best for everyone else waiting on the next step in their process! 

So apparently since I applied for the DOHMH Scholarship OYR track there is no information being provided to me when I call or email, except that they have my completed application and the time frame of it being reviewed is not up to them. Does anyone have any information on the time line for DOHMH scholarship OYR track? 

12 hours ago, adeena29 said:

HI all, 

Just wanted to give an update. I completed my interview  on 03/27/19 and received an acceptance letter via email on 3/28/19. The interview was with about 13 other candidates. The interviewer also said it was a much larger group than usual so we were honestly time checked pretty often. I felt as though I did not make the best impression or get enough time to really answer the questions as adequately as I wanted. Everyone was very kind and respectful. The article was really dense and because we ran over our time(due to the large group) had about 20 mins to read/respond to it. I have until 04/08/19 to respond. Since Hunter was my first choice I am thrilled about the acceptance. I plan on submitting the commitment deposit this Monday. I wish the best for everyone else waiting on the next step in their process! 

Congratulations!! I have a scheduled interview on April 10th, nervous!!!! if you don't mind me asking what is the article about?

Hi everyone, 

I applied for the two year track, OML, on 1/31, and my last rec letter was just submitted today so now my application is complete. I was so anxious about my my rec letters being submitted on time and now I'm anxious about hearing back from them and financial aid. Thank God for this thread, it's a comfort to see I'm not alone! 

On 3/26/2019 at 3:47 PM, ML878 said:

This was super helpful—thanks so much!! I’ll plan to call them if I don’t see the money being withdrawn from my account by end of the week.

Hey! I put my check in the mail the day after you did. Did you receive any information or see the check cleared from your account yet?

Officially handed in my commitment deposit and acknowledgment form today! I was told by Julia at the front desk that by the end of this week/early next week I will receive an email about the next steps for enrollment. Excited to meet the rest of you at orientation, who will be choosing/have chosen Hunter! 

23 hours ago, Glenda said:

Congratulations!! I have a scheduled interview on April 10th, nervous!!!! if you don't mind me asking what is the article about?

Assuming that it is the same article that I had when I interviewed on 3/13, it was about university-agency relationships, and how important they are to the progression of social work as a whole. University-agency relationships referring to the connections/networks many schools of social work have with different agencies to place their students in. It talked about how it was important because the university students could learn from those directly in the field, and those in the field could provide suggestions to the university about how to properly educate their students/prepare them for the field. It really was pretty dense, it was about 3 1/2 pages with relatively small font, and made a lot of citations to other articles before getting to its own point. My interviewer even said she thinks they should change the article lol. But my advice would be to just highlight a few of the main points throughout the article, and to not stress. I know a lot of people were really stressed afterwards about it (understandably so because you really don’t have much time/feel rushed and possibly like you weren’t able to do your best work) but I truly don’t think they weigh it more than anything else, and take into consideration the timed circustmance. Hope that helps! 

1 hour ago, Jberridge said:

Assuming that it is the same article that I had when I interviewed on 3/13, it was about university-agency relationships, and how important they are to the progression of social work as a whole. University-agency relationships referring to the connections/networks many schools of social work have with different agencies to place their students in. It talked about how it was important because the university students could learn from those directly in the field, and those in the field could provide suggestions to the university about how to properly educate their students/prepare them for the field. It really was pretty dense, it was about 3 1/2 pages with relatively small font, and made a lot of citations to other articles before getting to its own point. My interviewer even said she thinks they should change the article lol. But my advice would be to just highlight a few of the main points throughout the article, and to not stress. I know a lot of people were really stressed afterwards about it (understandably so because you really don’t have much time/feel rushed and possibly like you weren’t able to do your best work) but I truly don’t think they weigh it more than anything else, and take into consideration the timed circustmance. Hope that helps! 

Thank you for that, it must be a common thing because I've read before that they give long dense articles with not enough time but I will take that into consideration.

2 hours ago, Stephanie592 said:

Hey! I put my check in the mail the day after you did. Did you receive any information or see the check cleared from your account yet?

Hey! I haven’t received any info yet or seen the check cleared from my account. But I emailed Juliana Lopez last week to confirm she received my letter and she said she did and we should all be receiving more info by end of this week. Hope that helps!

On 3/13/2019 at 6:12 PM, Jberridge said:

Hi again! 

I had my interview this morning and wanted to share in case anyone here still has an upcoming one scheduled. There were 8 others in the room and we started exactly on time. The interviewer was very nice and understood a lot of us were nervous and really tried to put us at ease, she said If you were interviewing you were more than half way to an acceptance, and this was a way of putting a face to your application. I would say to prep, think about your volunteer/work experiences and how that is shaping your goals, why hunter? and be prepared for follow up questions about your experiences such as how you dealt with certain things or what you’ve learned about yourself, etc. We then had a scenario that was a bit tricky that we discussed as a group while she listened, followed by the writing piece. I found the writing to be the most intense (even the interviewer said she thinks they should pick a different article) because it you have 25 minutes to read and respond to the article and it was a 3 paged article with small font, and the content was a little dense, by the time I had read and highlighted a few things I only had about 10 minutes. But all in all I think it went well. I would say take your time and think about your responses, and relax and think of it as more of a discussion like you would have in class, and try to be genuine as opposed to what you think they want to hear. Also make sure you’re answering the actual question asked! A lot of people didn’t and got side tracked and carried away talking about specific situations at work that were not relevant, and of course stay away from personal experiences, as they remind you. 

Hope that was helpful to anyone else ( if there even is anyone else) who still needs to interview. Best of luck!

The bolded sounds like code for racial profiling which is illegal and should be stopped. It can probably be stopped with an injunction so someone would have to go to court to stop it (and since they are accepting some applicants without interviews then it shouldnt be hard to get the injunction to stop the interviews altogether. 

Also, the writing sample seems like a joke. Giving applicants 25 minutes to read a 3 paged article and then write a coherent response is ridiculous and should not be happening. 

That said, from what I heard, a judge refused to dismiss a lawsuit against them so it would be interesting to see the writing samples of accepted students and why they got accepted over the ones who were rejected. Maybe this lawsuit will clarify what is going on with the admissions process at this school.

I see that some of you have been curious about students who are being accepted without interviews. From what I heard from Michelle at orientation she said that if grades and references check out they will skip interviewing you. They also mentioned that experience is preferred, but not entirely. 

Also, I didn't know about this lawsuit until i found this forum, does anyone have a source? I'm curious and would like to know more about it.

5 hours ago, SJA1 said:

The bolded sounds like code for racial profiling which is illegal and should be stopped. It can probably be stopped with an injunction so someone would have to go to court to stop it (and since they are accepting some applicants without interviews then it shouldnt be hard to get the injunction to stop the interviews altogether. 

Also, the writing sample seems like a joke. Giving applicants 25 minutes to read a 3 paged article and then write a coherent response is ridiculous and should not be happening. 

That said, from what I heard, a judge refused to dismiss a lawsuit against them so it would be interesting to see the writing samples of accepted students and why they got accepted over the ones who were rejected. Maybe this lawsuit will clarify what is going on with the admissions process at this school.

Interesting perspective. That was not my impression at all, the interviewer spoke about getting to meet people in person as a way of knowing them beyond a number of their application materials. I’ll admit I was surprised when I heard that some got in without interviews, but it could definitely be the case as @Molly.h said that certain applicants were an obvious “yes” based off of their grades/essay/recs, and there was simply no need to learn more, whereas other applicants could have mediocre grades but amazing references, or vice versa that would prompt the school to want to meet them, as a way of getting a better idea of who they are and making that final decision depending on how they present. I know personally, my application was not complete at the time I received an email for an interview, because I had not been able to submit my transcript. Also I interviewed amongst a diverse group in terms of race/ethnicity, age, and experience level. I also got a glance at the interviewees that were in the group after me and they were equally as diverse in terms of race/ethnicity, so it doesn’t seem to be the case that Hunter is only interviewing a certain race of people. That’s just my take. Also interested in how you found out about the suit? Wondering if you would mind sharing, because I’m intersested and couldn’t find anything on google.

49 minutes ago, SJA1 said:

I guess everything about their admission process will be revealed during discovery but I don't believe the case has been publicized. You can probably find it on the courts website. 

What court? 

Hi guys! I applied to the two year track and had the interview today 4/3/19. It was pretty straightforward. However, I was completely nervous so I could have done better but i keep telling myself that i tried lol. Now I’m just refreshing the application page to see if I got accepted or rejected. I just want the response already, it’s very nerve wrecking! But Congrats to the ones that got accepted and good luck to the ones who are still waiting to hear back! 

Edited by Karla

15 hours ago, Karla said:

Hi guys! I applied to the two year track and had the interview today 4/3/19. It was pretty straightforward. However, I was completely nervous so I could have done better but i keep telling myself that i tried lol. Now I’m just refreshing the application page to see if I got accepted or rejected. I just want the response already, it’s very nerve wrecking! But Congrats to the ones that got accepted and good luck to the ones who are still waiting to hear back! 

Hi Karla, 

Best of luck to you! What practice are you doing ?

Can you tell me about your experience with the article?