Jump to content
ML878

Hunter Silberman School Fall 2019 Admissions

Recommended Posts

Hiya everyone, I wanted to update you guys on my application. Funny enough I checked the portal this morning and I saw the final decision which shows I was rejected. I felt so down the whole day and then this evening I received an acceptance letter via email and a notification to view my final decision online. I'm not sure if I should be happy about this but I am. Has anyone else experienced this before?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Senolyn said:

Hiya everyone, I wanted to update you guys on my application. Funny enough I checked the portal this morning and I saw the final decision which shows I was rejected. I felt so down the whole day and then this evening I received an acceptance letter via email and a notification to view my final decision online. I'm not sure if I should be happy about this but I am. Has anyone else experienced this before?

What a rollercoaster of emotions—sorry you had to go through that!! I haven’t heard of this happening before, but if you wanted to put your mind at ease, you could try calling the office and confirming your acceptance letter. I hope it all works out in your favor!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know how field placements are working this year? In the past I've heard you meet with an advisor and get to give some input...worried they will be automatic this year! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, tpg13 said:

Does anyone know how field placements are working this year? In the past I've heard you meet with an advisor and get to give some input...worried they will be automatic this year! 

You have to fill out the field practicum planning form (depending on which track you’re in). You will submit it to the field education office. They will match you with a field education officer and that officer will reach out to you to schedule a consultation appointment. Once you finish the consultation, the officer will let you know of some of the available placements you might be interested in and will send your resume to the possible placement. I am in the middle of this process and am waiting back to here from my prospective placement.

 

Field Form and Submission (Step 2);

https://sssw.hunter.cuny.edu/admissions/newly-accepted-students/

Edited by Yve_

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Yve_ said:

You have to fill out the field practicum planning form (depending on which track you’re in). You will submit it to the field education office. They will match you with a field education officer and that officer will reach out to you to schedule a consultation appointment. Once you finish the consultation, the officer will let you know of some of the available placements you might be interested in and will send your resume to the possible placement. I am in the middle of this process and am waiting back to here from my prospective placement.

  

Field Form and Submission (Step 2);

https://sssw.hunter.cuny.edu/admissions/newly-accepted-students/

Thank you! Are you finding your field education officer to be receptive? I've heard some horror stories! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, tpg13 said:

Thank you! Are you finding your field education officer to be receptive? I've heard some horror stories! 

Absolutely!! My field education officer offered me three opportunities that were EXACTLY what I wanted. I hope to continue to have a positive experience, but you never know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yve_ said:

Absolutely!! My field education officer offered me three opportunities that were EXACTLY what I wanted. I hope to continue to have a positive experience, but you never know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That’s awesome to hear!!! Glad you’re having such a positive experience!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ML878 said:

That’s awesome to hear!!! Glad you’re having such a positive experience!

 

5 hours ago, Yve_ said:

Absolutely!! My field education officer offered me three opportunities that were EXACTLY what I wanted. I hope to continue to have a positive experience, but you never know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

 

Are there different time slots for the field placements?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JO25 said:

 

Are there different time slots for the field placements?

What do you mean @JO25 ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JO25 said:

 

Are there different time slots for the field placements?

I think @Yve_ is an advanced standing student. I’m entering as full time and I haven’t heard anything from my field advisor yet—I did also just submit the form last week. Hope that helps!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ML878 said:

I think @Yve_ is an advanced standing student. I’m entering as full time and I haven’t heard anything from my field advisor yet—I did also just submit the form last week. Hope that helps!

Yes, I am. I hope you guys hear something back soon 🤞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2019 at 11:03 AM, ML878 said:

Since you already met with your field placement advisor ...do you possibly know if you can split the field hours? as in a few hours every day instead of the three days a week 

 

I'm trying to keep a part time job i have so i'm really hoping there will be flexibility with the hours 😧 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ML878 said:

I think @Yve_ is an advanced standing student. I’m entering as full time and I haven’t heard anything from my field advisor yet—I did also just submit the form last week. Hope that helps!

same...I submitted my form last week and haven't heard anything yet .. hopefully sometime soon though! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, justyna said:

Since you already met with your field placement advisor ...do you possibly know if you can split the field hours? as in a few hours every day instead of the three days a week 

 

I'm trying to keep a part time job i have so i'm really hoping there will be flexibility with the hours 😧 

I’m not sure if you can, but since you are Advanced Standing, the pre-orientation is today (May 1st @ 1:30pm). They should be having field education reps there to help you reach an answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ML878 said:

I think @Yve_ is an advanced standing student. I’m entering as full time and I haven’t heard anything from my field advisor yet—I did also just submit the form last week. Hope that helps!

Ah, yes! I am also going in as a full time student.  I also just recently submitted my form so was super curious about how everything works. Good luck to everyone on getting good placement!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone who has been admitted into the OYR program received any information about orientation or next steps?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2019 at 9:37 AM, ML878 said:

What a rollercoaster of emotions—sorry you had to go through that!! I haven’t heard of this happening before, but if you wanted to put your mind at ease, you could try calling the office and confirming your acceptance letter. I hope it all works out in your favor!

Thank you, that's very kind of you. I reached out to the school and they confirmed my admission.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Senolyn said:

Thank you, that's very kind of you. I reached out to the school and they confirmed my admission.

THAT IS AWESOME!!!! Congrats!! Hopefully you’ll be attending accepted students day next Wednesday—if so, see you there!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who else is registered for the accepted students day next Wednesday? So excited to meet you guys beyond this blog! lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jberridge said:

Who else is registered for the accepted students day next Wednesday? So excited to meet you guys beyond this blog! lol

Me! I’m super excited to meet others too :) everyone on this forum has been so helpful and supportive!

If anyone is interested in grabbing drinks or something after the event, hit me up!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RLC423 said:

Has anyone who has been admitted into the OYR program received any information about orientation or next steps?

I received this email on April 24th:

Dear New Student, 

Congratulations! The Silberman School of Social Work at Hunter College is delighted to welcome you into our Master in Social Work program. We have received your Commitment Deposit and Acknowledgement Form.  The faculty and administration at the Silberman School of Social Work/Hunter College look forward to meeting you as part of our entering class.  

Important: Your first step is to visit the Electronic Acceptance Package, which contains the Field Education forms, Immunization form, Scholarships application,  Orientation dates and more:

Electronic Acceptance Package Please Click Here (Required) 

Please be aware the admissions process for the Silberman School of Social Work is different from the main campus at 68th Street. Use this email and the acceptance package as your guide for acceptance. If you have any questions regarding your acceptance, please contact Juliana Lopez at jmlope@hunter.cuny.edu or (212) 396-7628. 

If you need to change your mailing address please contact Mr. Angulo at pangulo@hunter.cuny.edu.

Reminders:

  • Official Transcripts: If you have not done so already, please send us your official academic transcripts from all the undergraduate and graduate institutions you attended.  Have them mailed to Silberman School of Social Work's Enrollment Management Office at 2180 Third Avenue, New York, NY 10035.

If you are in your final semester of undergraduate study, a final copy of your transcript indicating degree conferral must be submitted ASAP. Applicants who cannot demonstrate proof of a bachelor’s degree by August 1, 2019 will not be permitted to continue classes and may be required to forfeit their place in the MSW program.

If you have any questions regarding your acceptance please contact me.

Again, congratulations!

 

Michelle Desir, LCSW-R

Director of Enrollment Management

Silberman School of Social Work

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, adeena29 said:

I received this email on April 24th:

Dear New Student, 

Congratulations! The Silberman School of Social Work at Hunter College is delighted to welcome you into our Master in Social Work program. We have received your Commitment Deposit and Acknowledgement Form.  The faculty and administration at the Silberman School of Social Work/Hunter College look forward to meeting you as part of our entering class.  

Important: Your first step is to visit the Electronic Acceptance Package, which contains the Field Education forms, Immunization form, Scholarships application,  Orientation dates and more:

Electronic Acceptance Package Please Click Here (Required) 

Please be aware the admissions process for the Silberman School of Social Work is different from the main campus at 68th Street. Use this email and the acceptance package as your guide for acceptance. If you have any questions regarding your acceptance, please contact Juliana Lopez at jmlope@hunter.cuny.edu or (212) 396-7628. 

If you need to change your mailing address please contact Mr. Angulo at pangulo@hunter.cuny.edu.

Reminders:

  • Official Transcripts: If you have not done so already, please send us your official academic transcripts from all the undergraduate and graduate institutions you attended.  Have them mailed to Silberman School of Social Work's Enrollment Management Office at 2180 Third Avenue, New York, NY 10035.

If you are in your final semester of undergraduate study, a final copy of your transcript indicating degree conferral must be submitted ASAP. Applicants who cannot demonstrate proof of a bachelor’s degree by August 1, 2019 will not be permitted to continue classes and may be required to forfeit their place in the MSW program.

If you have any questions regarding your acceptance please contact me.

Again, congratulations!

 

Michelle Desir, LCSW-R

Director of Enrollment Management

Silberman School of Social Work

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
 

Thank you so much!! My e-mail was in my spam folder! For anyone who doesn't see this e-mail, it was sent out April 24!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ML878 said:

Me! I’m super excited to meet others too :) everyone on this forum has been so helpful and supportive!

If anyone is interested in grabbing drinks or something after the event, hit me up!!

I'm down! Would be cool if we could get a group of us! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Jberridge said:

I'm down! Would be cool if we could get a group of us! 

Yay, ok! Hopefully others will chime in too! We can get some sort of group text set up, if that’s the case :) I don’t know the area too well, but can look into nearby restaurants/bars (though open to any suggestions people have!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, ML878 said:

Yay, ok! Hopefully others will chime in too! We can get some sort of group text set up, if that’s the case :) I don’t know the area too well, but can look into nearby restaurants/bars (though open to any suggestions people have!)

I used to live in East Harlem last year, actually right around the corner from Silberman, and I used to love this BBQ spot called Harley's Smokeshack, its on 116th between 1st and 2nd, great food and a really chill vibe, so that's an option. But, i'm down for whatever others are in the mood for/other suggestions too! I'm sure we'll figure something out in person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.