2019 Canadian MPPA/MPP/MPA Hopefuls

2 hours ago, CoconutAvocado said:

Have you heard anything yet? I've been checking my emails and application statuses nonstop. The wait is making me anxious. Good luck to all of us. ☺️ ☺️ ?

I can only speak to the schools I've applied to; UofT MPP, Queens MPA, and Carleton MPPA. Each of schools have told me that admissions will start going out around the end of February - beginning of March.

Hi guys, anyone apply to McGill? I heard about them pretty late- the first year they are doing the program is 2019!- and just submitted my application today. It's my top choice since its in Montreal and targeted towards folks with a bit of work experience. Sounds like they have been doing admissions on a rolling basis.

I applied to Queen's as well since I want to go somewhere close to but not in Ottawa ;)  

Hi there. 

I applied to McGill, Simon Fraser, Calgary, Carleton, and Queen's. I am from the United States, have been working as a paralegal for two years, and completed an undergrad in sociology, graduating with a 3.6 cumulative GPA.

Yesterday, I was accepted to Simon Fraser and offered $3,250 in funding. It is one of my top choices and I have 21 days to respond. Curious if anyone else applied to SFU? 

Hoping to hear back soon from at least some of the others so I can make an informed decision. 

On 2/12/2019 at 10:13 PM, BTF said:

I can only speak to the schools I've applied to; UofT MPP, Queens MPA, and Carleton MPPA. Each of schools have told me that admissions will start going out around the end of February - beginning of March.

I applied to UofT, Ryerson and UCalgary. Yes, I heard UofT's admission decisions typically go out around that time. My application has been "Under Review" since the beginning of this month. I'm hoping I would at least hear from Ryerson soon, as it is two months now since I applied  (Dec 14). I completed UCalgary's application on Feb 1, so I probably won't hear from them till next month.

Edited by CoconutAvocado

On 2/13/2019 at 10:41 AM, blonde_fundus said:

Hi guys, anyone apply to McGill? I heard about them pretty late- the first year they are doing the program is 2019!- and just submitted my application today. It's my top choice since its in Montreal and targeted towards folks with a bit of work experience. Sounds like they have been doing admissions on a rolling basis.

I applied to Queen's as well since I want to go somewhere close to but not in Ottawa ;)  

I found out about McGill's Max Bell MPP sometime in December and thought about applying b/c I've always wanted to live in Montreal, but I didn't b/c it's a new program and I opted for the more established MPP programs. I like their structured timetable, however, and their courses and key components look promising. You can't go wrong with McGill. I hope you hear from them and Queens soon. 

On 2/13/2019 at 4:29 PM, jnd said:

Hi there. 

I applied to McGill, Simon Fraser, Calgary, Carleton, and Queen's. I am from the United States, have been working as a paralegal for two years, and completed an undergrad in sociology, graduating with a 3.6 cumulative GPA.

Yesterday, I was accepted to Simon Fraser and offered $3,250 in funding. It is one of my top choices and I have 21 days to respond. Curious if anyone else applied to SFU? 

Hoping to hear back soon from at least some of the others so I can make an informed decision. 

Congratulations on the acceptance to SFU!

On 2/15/2019 at 3:05 AM, dashpramit said:

McGill 1st round of results were supposed to come out on 14th / 15th Feb (as per mail revert from Max Bell admissions) ... Has anyone heard back yet ?

I heard back on the 15th, they offered $8000 in funding and requested a $4000 deposit by April 1st to confirm my spot. Pretty pricey if you ask me, and inaccessible for broke students.

Edited by sonto402
more to add

Has anyone else seen that Munk has re-opened their applications for Fall 2019? They closed them on February 6th, but since Friday the website has been saying they're (still) accepting applications. I wonder why. It's a bit worrying. Perhaps currents applications aren't strong enough? Uh oh.

https://munkschool.utoronto.ca/publicpolicy/programs/master-of-public-policy-program/mpp-program-admissions/

Edited by CoconutAvocado

16 minutes ago, CoconutAvocado said:

Has anyone else seen that Munk has re-opened their applications for Fall 2019? They closed them on February 6th, but since Friday the website has been saying they're (still) accepting applications. I wonder why. It's a bit worrying. Perhaps currents applications aren't strong enough? Uh oh.

https://munkschool.utoronto.ca/publicpolicy/programs/master-of-public-policy-program/-program-admissi

Don't read too much into it. There could be a plethora of reasons why that's the case. 

Also, hey everyone! I'm a current Y1 at U of T's MPP program. I applied to the MPA at Queen's and MGA at U of T last year as well. Happy to answer any questions y'all may have :)

PS: good luck to all! I know how anxiety-inducing the wait can be. 

Edited by mppmgaapplicant2018

could anyone evaluate my stats please? Getting more and more frustrated...

I am 30 yo, originally from Hong Kong and had a master of computer science from McMaster in 2013, during which my thesis was mix of software and laws. Undgrad GPA 85, and grad is 90. Again they are all engineering courses.

i then cofounded a startup and then worked for IBM Toronto for 5 yrs.

Interested in economics and public policies, so self studied on coursera and gained around ten certificates including micro, macro, policy making, public economics etc.

had some voluntary activities and serve as a local executive for a federal political party.

love wiring about Canadian public issues such as healthcare, corporate welfare, industrial policies etc

now i am very worried about getting nothing in the end as I really had no official experience in this field!! thanks for any opinions!

13 hours ago, sonto402 said:

I heard back on the 15th, they offered $8000 in funding and requested a $4000 deposit by April 1st to confirm my spot. Pretty pricey if you ask me, and inaccessible for broke students.

congratulations for getting through !

just wanted to check when did u submit ur application ?

McGill actually is quite competitive in terms of cost of study compared to any top US / UK schools and even UoT !

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 10:47 AM, CoconutAvocado said:

I found out about McGill's Max Bell MPP sometime in December and thought about applying b/c I've always wanted to live in Montreal, but I didn't b/c it's a new program and I opted for the more established MPP programs. I like their structured timetable, however, and their courses and key components look promising. You can't go wrong with McGill. I hope you hear from them and Queens soon. 

On 2/17/2019 at 4:10 PM, CoconutAvocado said:

Do you know why you didn't get in last year / did you ask them?

Nope. But I changed everything I could. from my statement of intent, I gained more experience in the policy and government field, I was able to get new references and I’m hoping that a current Masters will make my application stronger too. 

17 hours ago, mppa said:

Nope. But I changed everything I could. from my statement of intent, I gained more experience in the policy and government field, I was able to get new references and I’m hoping that a current Masters will make my application stronger too. 

That's great. Are you doing a Masters in IR in order to apply to these MPP programs? I'm sure all these changes have boosted your application and you'll likely get in this time. I went back to my Uni to do a second undergrad degree in order to apply in December, but this was my first time applying.

Apparently Ryerson has started sending out emails this week and will continue next week.

Edited by CoconutAvocado

Hi Everyone!

I've applied solely to Ryerson's MPPA program (full time stream) and I applied approximately 2-3 weeks after the due date. I live here in the Greater Toronto Area and didn't want to leave the area to study. I did my undergraduate degree in Criminology at Ryerson as well. I had no idea if I would get in since I wasn't sure how they calculated the last two years' cumulative gpa. A couple days ago however I got this message from Ryerson..

"Your application has been reviewed for consideration and has been forwarded to the Program Admissions Committee for review."

I am assuming I have met the minimum gpa and other requirements in order to be forwarded to the admissions committee? Can anyone confirm what exactly this means?

Thanks so much and good luck to everyone!

Got admitted to queens today and they said the grad school may send funding later, so I think the department provides no funding for me. However it’s length is one year and the total fee is around 15k which is ok with me.

i am planning to purse PhD after that. Does anybody know if queens mpa will be enough for me to apply PhD in pp? Btw, I have another thesis master from western but on some other science field

6 hours ago, mppatoronto said:

Hi Everyone!

I've applied solely to Ryerson's MPPA program (full time stream) and I applied approximately 2-3 weeks after the due date. I live here in the Greater Toronto Area and didn't want to leave the area to study. I did my undergraduate degree in Criminology at Ryerson as well. I had no idea if I would get in since I wasn't sure how they calculated the last two years' cumulative gpa. A couple days ago however I got this message from Ryerson..

"Your application has been reviewed for consideration and has been forwarded to the Program Admissions Committee for review."

I am assuming I have met the minimum gpa and other requirements in order to be forwarded to the admissions committee? Can anyone confirm what exactly this means?

Thanks so much and good luck to everyone!

I believe it means they're now reviewing your application. I got the exact email message in January (mid-January) and I am still waiting for some news/admission message, good or bad. From what I know the email message about reviewing your application means just that: they're now reviewing the application/components of the application, calculating your GPA, and I'm not sure what else. As for the GPA calculation, they calculate the average of the last 20 courses on your transcript to see if it meets the program's required GPA. If a course is repeated they'll use the higher grade instead. The information about how they calculate GPA for grad studies is on Ryerson's website. I read about it sometime in December and needed to know myself, considering I had done another undergrad degree. 

From what I know they've begun sending admission offers this week via email, it's on a rolling basis and will continue next week. If you just got the email message a few days ago about your application being sent to the admissions committee for review, it would probably take a few weeks before you hear any sort of news, tho. Since I got that message in mid-January, I've been checking my email non-stop this week but yet to receive any news at all, good or bad. I guess I'll know next week. ☺️ ?

Edited by CoconutAvocado

3 hours ago, Chrisopps said:

Got admitted to queens today and they said the grad school may send funding later, so I think the department provides no funding for me. However it’s length is one year and the total fee is around 15k which is ok with me.

i am planning to purse PhD after that. Does anybody know if queens mpa will be enough for me to apply PhD in pp? Btw, I have another thesis master from western but on some other science field

Congrats on getting into Queens MPA! Did you apply to other MPA/MPP programs? Which MSc did you do at Western?

I don't see why you can't apply to PP PhD programs with an MPA. They would obviously prefer an MPP, but I think an MPA should also be fine. I believe MPA is less quantitative than MPP, however, and there're other differences between the two degrees. You should look up the schools you'd like to do the PhD at and see if they've any preference between the two Masters for admission.

Edited by CoconutAvocado

3 hours ago, CoconutAvocado said:

Congrats on getting into Queens MPA! Did you apply to other MPA/MPP programs? Which MSc did you do at Western?

I don't see why you can't apply to PP PhD programs with an MPA. They would obviously prefer an MPP, but I think an MPA should also be fine. I believe MPA is less quantitative than MPP, however, and there're other differences between the two degrees. You should look up the schools you'd like to do the PhD at and see if they've any preference between the two Masters for admission.

Thanks! I did computer science. There are actually two quantitative courses in queens 12 courses. What I am worried about is that doesn’t having no related research experience impact your PhD application?

On 2/12/2019 at 10:13 PM, BTF said:

I applied to those schools as well. I'm still waiting to hear back. Has your Queens status changed at all? Mine has remained as application submitted. 

8 hours ago, Chrisopps said:

Congrats on the acceptance!