2019 Canadian MPPA/MPP/MPA Hopefuls

2 hours ago, Chrisopps said:

Thanks! I did computer science. There are actually two quantitative courses in queens 12 courses. What I am worried about is that doesn’t having no related research experience impact your PhD application?

Not necessarily. I know a girl who completed her MPA at Ryerson and is now pursuing her PhD in Political Science and Comparative Public Policy.

4 hours ago, mpa2019 said:

I applied to those schools as well. I'm still waiting to hear back. Has your Queens status changed at all? Mine has remained as application submitted. 

Nope, it still remains "Application Submitted".

I've now heard from both SFU and Concordia, and am still waiting on Queen's, McGill, Carleton, and Calgary. 

SFU offered $3,250. Concordia didn't offer funding. But after considering the difference in cost of living, they end up having a similar price tag for me. 

The problem is that I have until this Friday to accept or decline Concordia, and until next Monday to accept/decline SFU. I'm not sure if it's appropriate to reach out to the other schools I applied to to ask for an answer. I feel that my hand is being pushed by the programs I've been accepted to. SFU was one of my top choices, so I'm leaning toward just accepting the offer and withdrawing my application from the other programs. 

I applied to USask's MPA, Waterloo MPS, and Ryerson MPPA. Got an offer from USask with 5k funding a few weeks back, waiting to hear from Waterloo and Ryerson! 

Edited by Steven44

I applied to Ryerson's MPPA program and I'm still waiting to hear back. I contacted them about a week and a half ago about when they will issue acceptances and they said they will start emailing candidates at the end of this month. Good luck everyone! :) 

What kind of qualifications are you guys going in with? During my undergrad, I was a TA, won an award from my university for my writing on women's issues, had a high GPA, interned at a current affairs television program, and received a Canadian military research scholarship. Since graduating, I have become a health policy research assistant and write for the UN's refugee agency on a volunteer basis. I'm hoping that's enough but you never know. 

On 2/13/2019 at 7:41 AM, blonde_fundus said:

Hi guys, anyone apply to McGill? I heard about them pretty late- the first year they are doing the program is 2019!- and just submitted my application today. It's my top choice since its in Montreal and targeted towards folks with a bit of work experience. Sounds like they have been doing admissions on a rolling basis.

I applied to Queen's as well since I want to go somewhere close to but not in Ottawa ;)

I just got rejected from McGill. I had a strong application, so it must have been really selective. I'm not too disappointed, the program is brand new and will have tons of growing pains, I'm sure. It also seems that ten months is not nearly long enough to get truly rigorous training in policy analysis, but their public management curriculum is probably very strong. The fact that they asked someone on this thread for a $4,000 deposit is also extremely fishy to me. That said, I hope you get in!

59 minutes ago, jnd said:

I just got rejected from McGill. I had a strong application, so it must have been really selective. I'm not too disappointed, the program is brand new and will have tons of growing pains, I'm sure. It also seems that ten months is not nearly long enough to get truly rigorous training in policy analysis, but their public management curriculum is probably very strong. The fact that they asked someone on this thread for a $4,000 deposit is also extremely fishy to me. That said, I hope you get in!

Oh dear, they must have gotten tons of interest... so surprising given it's such a new and $$$ program! I basically applied at the deadline so doubt I'll hear anything for a bit

Sounds like you're at least in @ SFU with some cash

FWIW I also heard back from Queen's last week that I was 'recommended for admission' to the school of graduate studies! No information about funding however, and not much detail about when to expect any

Got accepted into Queen's MPA program with 5k in funding. Waiting to hear from Carleton and UofT. Does anyone happen to know when OGS and CGS-M get announced? 

Profile for those interested:

cGPA 83%

L2 91%

Softs/ECs

- Research Assistant at current institution

- Have been running my own business for 6 years

- Served on university senate

- Tutored Math from K-Collage Level

I was accepted to Queen's today, no funding offered. 

Accepted: Queen's, SFU ($3,250), and Concordia

Rejected: McGill

Still waiting: Carleton and Calgary.

I think I am going to take SFU's offer. Congrats to those of you who are hearing good news!

1 hour ago, jnd said:

I was accepted to Queen's today, no funding offered. 

Accepted: Queen's, SFU ($3,250), and Concordia

Rejected: McGill

Still waiting: Carleton and Calgary.

I think I am going to take SFU's offer. Congrats to those of you who are hearing good news!

Would you mind sharing your stats and/or profile?

On 2/18/2019 at 9:10 AM, dashpramit said:

congratulations for getting through !

just wanted to check when did u submit ur application ?

McGill actually is quite competitive in terms of cost of study compared to any top US / UK schools and even UoT !

Thank you!

I submitted in the last week of December

Absolutely when compared to those schools. My frame of reference is NPSIA, Queens, and Ryerson. And really it's the large deposit by April 1 that threw me off rather than just the program price.

Edited by sonto402
clarification

21 hours ago, BTF said:

Would you mind sharing your stats and/or profile?

Sure!

GPA: 3.6 cumulative, last two years 3.75

Undergraduate majors in Sociology and Gender Studies

I have worked as an assistant on labor and employment litigation for two years after graduation. I completed two extensive research projects as an undergraduate related to social policy. I worked as a consultant for my college's writing center during undergrad. 

I have deficits in economics that I think may be have been the deal breaker at McGill and for that reason I am expecting a rejection from Carleton. Based on my getting into SFU, Queen's, and Concordia, I do think I will get into Calgary. But I do bring strengths in political theory and social research.

2 hours ago, ladenisse said:

Congrats!! Did they send you an email? when did you submit your application?

Thank you. Yes, I got an email, the formal letter they said will be sent in the next few days. I submitted my application at the end of December/beginning of January but my 2nd reference submitted his a few days before the deadline.

Edited by mppa