SoCal Applicants!

18 minutes ago, slptobe! said:

It was definitely frustrating because I was born in California and grew up there, hadn't lived anywhere else until I went to college. But because I went out of state for undergrad, it changed things in terms of being an obvious resident I suppose. 

I had the same issue. I only went two years to UNR to get my degree. Because of this and sending documents where I have worked out of state at summer camps, I had to send a high school transcript to prove residency. I sent so many documents. The lady I had wass pushy to, but probably for good reason. Thankful it all worked out in the end. Good luck to everyone!

2 hours ago, hiimkhanh said:

Can you elaborate why they advised you to do it in state? I’m a California native and am considering an out of state school for my Masters degree 

It could have just been my advisor. California State Universities have lower tuition than most out of state programs. I was thinking of applying to East Coast schools where I used to live but out of state cost plus living expenses, and airfare made it more expensive. Also, he mentioned when you finish your Master's program in another state you will be licensed for that state but if you wanted to practice and work in California its better to graduate from a school in California than for example, Florida. Please ask your advisor or Master's Program for what their policies are so you are well informed to make your decision. 

Here is an ASHA link I found with some information about state-by-state licensing: https://www.asha.org/advocacy/state/StateTeacherCredentialingRequirements/

On 2/23/2019 at 9:24 PM, sflemingo said:

Thank you!! :) Which schools did you apply to? Have you heard anything yet?

Yeah, I’m definitely really lucky to have a really supportive husband and family. Otherwise, I don’t think I’d be able to even fathom doing a grad program. I’m honestly not sure I’ll survive. Lol The professor at Chapman yesterday told me about a current student who gave birth and was in class 2 weeks later with said baby in tow! Definitely encouraging for me but I also think people like that must be aliens. ;) 

How was the interview with Chapman?  Was it just one faculty member? Congrats on the interview and goodluck with this process! 

Has anyone been thinking about SDSU, or heard anything from them? Last year it looked like most of the decisions came out around this time (Feb 23). I'm getting pretty anxious about it. 

1 hour ago, rosejoy said:

Has anyone been thinking about SDSU, or heard anything from them? Last year it looked like most of the decisions came out around this time (Feb 23). I'm getting pretty anxious about it. 

I thought about applying there but ended up not because they weren't quite in the region I wanted and, being the highest ranked school in CA, I didn't think I'd get in anyway. I've noticed all of the programs I applied to have been announcing things between 1 to 3 weeks later than last year and a lot of them have received a lot more applications than last year so I wonder if that's the same situation for SDSU. Good luck to you!

On 2/23/2019 at 11:25 PM, Rezzy S. said:

Wow -- In class 2 weeks after giving birth really is super-human!

I've applied to a few CSU's and CA private schools as well as a couple out of state. I have an interview with Cal Baptist coming up. I applied to Chapman and haven't been invited for an interview so I'm thinking I probably won't be hearing from them at this point.

I just got my interview invite from Chapman today, so they are definitely still sending out invites :) they had several slots (like 10+) open for next week so I’m sure more invites are coming!

43 minutes ago, Rosegrl211 said:

I just got my interview invite from Chapman today, so they are definitely still sending out invites :) they had several slots (like 10+) open for next week so I’m sure more invites are coming!

Thanks!  I'll try to keep my hopes up then. ☺️ 

Edited by Rezzy S.

3 minutes ago, libbyyehca said:

I haven't heard from the other programs I applied to yet. The waiting is unbearable at times!

image.png.b95352e1a2e63cb5803cb67ab892eac6.png

The mood of this post is everything.

2 hours ago, libbyyehca said:

I haven't heard from the other programs I applied to yet. The waiting is unbearable at times!

image.png.b95352e1a2e63cb5803cb67ab892eac6.png

Every day I have to convince myself to not call for an update. It feels like SoCal schools are the very last schools to announce. ?

On 2/23/2019 at 8:40 PM, sflemingo said:

I’m from socal and I applied to 3 schools: CSUSM, Chapman, and SDSU. I didn’t apply to any out of state schools because my husband has a really great job here that will support us while I’m in school and we have a baby so we wanted to stay close to our families right now. If I don’t get in anywhere this cycle, I plan to either apply to online programs or get my slpa license and get some experience in the field. I interviewed at Chapman yesterday and I felt like it went well so I’m crossing my fingers!

My interview at Chapman is next week! Would you be willing to share how the interview went? Did they tell you how long the admission decision after interview would be? 

Good luck!!

On 2/14/2019 at 7:31 PM, Rezzy S. said:

Hey SoCal applicants! 

Just curious, given how competitive SoCal is:

1.  how many schools did you apply to?
  2.  if you're from SoCal, did you apply to any out of state schools? Would you prefer to stay in state?
  3. if you're not from SoCal, what made you want to attend out here?

I applied to 7 schools in SoCal because I so badly want to stay local, but also applied to two out of state to be on the safe side. The crazy thing is the out of state schools were ranked significantly better on US News, but according to EdFind, 2 or 3 times easier to get into than some of my top choice SoCal schools. Anyone in a similar situation? How did you set yourself apart?

1.Chapman, pacific university of Oregon, CBU, CSUSM, Redlands. I had 3 interviews.

I have not received official acceptance from Oregon yet. I’m getting anxious to hear back from other schools. I’m still waiting for Chapman. I had been wait listed there last year.

I love Pacific’s program but I think it would be so expensive to go out of state?!!!

1 hour ago, CHOCCOCO said:

1.Chapman, pacific university of Oregon, CBU, CSUSM, Redlands. I had 3 interviews.

I have not received official acceptance from Oregon yet. I’m getting anxious to hear back from other schools. I’m still waiting for Chapman. I had been wait listed there last year.

I love Pacific’s program but I think it would be so expensive to go out of state?!!!

Congratulations on the interviews. Which school's have you interviewed with?

1 hour ago, CHOCCOCO said:

Congrats on going 3 for 4 with interviews! How was the Chapman interview? Mine is tomorrow :) 

16 minutes ago, Rosegrl211 said:

Congrats on going 3 for 4 with interviews! How was the Chapman interview? Mine is tomorrow :) 

My Chapman interview was last year. I haven’t received anything so far for this year. Last year I heard back around this time. The Chapman interview is casual one on one. They should have emailed you some questions to prepare for the interview. They are your basic grad question. Why SLP? What skills do you bring? Strength? Weakness? The facility is fairly new and professional ?! I wish you luck! 

10 hours ago, CHOCCOCO said:

My Chapman interview was last year. I haven’t received anything so far for this year. Last year I heard back around this time. The Chapman interview is casual one on one. They should have emailed you some questions to prepare for the interview. They are your basic grad question. Why SLP? What skills do you bring? Strength? Weakness? The facility is fairly new and professional ?! I wish you luck! 

Thank you!!

How is everyone doing now that California decisions have started to come out? I've gotten a couple interviews and not gotten others I was hoping for at this point, but no decisions yet.

Anyone know anything about when University of Redlands will be announcing their decisions? Haven't heard anything.

On 3/3/2019 at 9:42 PM, Rosegrl211 said:

Have you heard anything back after your Chapman interview? I saw somebody posted an acceptance. 

1 hour ago, Jspeechy said:

Have you heard anything back after your Chapman interview? I saw somebody posted an acceptance. 

Nothing yet. I was surprised to see the acceptance, hoping for news soon!

still not a peep from CSULB or CSUF either way. 

I was accepted to CSUSM after their difficult interview process, so no matter what I’m excited to be going to grad school in the fall!! How is your interview season going?

Edited by Rosegrl211

10 hours ago, Rezzy S. said:

How is everyone doing now that California decisions have started to come out? I've gotten a couple interviews and not gotten others I was hoping for at this point, but no decisions yet.

Anyone know anything about when University of Redlands will be announcing their decisions? Haven't heard anything.

Redlands sent an email a while ago stating decisions will be sent Mid/Late March. Also, going back on previous posts about Redlands, it seems like late March we should be hearing back. 

On 3/9/2019 at 9:19 AM, Rosegrl211 said:

Nothing yet. I was surprised to see the acceptance, hoping for news soon!

still not a peep from CSULB or CSUF either way. 

I was accepted to CSUSM after their difficult interview process, so no matter what I’m excited to be going to grad school in the fall!! How is your interview season going?

Congratulations on the acceptance! That is a huge relief. I have had interviews with CSULA and Chapman so far and am waiting on CSULB, CSUN, and Redlands. So no decision for me yet... getting antsy! What is your top choice? Mine was CSULB but I don’t have a good feeling about it anymore. 

25 minutes ago, Jspeechy said:

Congratulations on the acceptance! That is a huge relief. I have had interviews with CSULA and Chapman so far and am waiting on CSULB, CSUN, and Redlands. So no decision for me yet... getting antsy! What is your top choice? Mine was CSULB but I don’t have a good feeling about it anymore. 

Yea, the lack of response at all or ability to request a status report from CSULB is disconcerting. CSULB was near the top. 

Chapman would probably be ideal, if I can get some funding from them. It’s around 2x as much as a state school per year, so that makes CSUSM very appealing (also I did my post bac with them, I know a lot of the people in their cohort, and I know their faculty and the material they are building on for grad school, whereas Chapman’s writing sample question was about someone we didn’t address in the post bac).

Chapman told me after my interview that decisions would be made shortly after an ASHA conference, but I haven’t been able to determine what conference they were referring to. I got an email from them last week, a thank you for the interview email, asking for patience while they make final decisions. Hopefully this week :) 

I don’t know what to make of the one Chapman acceptance from last week in the results thread. Maybe a mistaken entry? Shortly afterwards an interview with Chapman was also added. 

Edited by Rosegrl211

23 minutes ago, Rosegrl211 said:

Yea, the lack of response at all or ability to request a status report from CSULB is disconcerting. CSULB was near the top. 

Chapman would probably be ideal, if I can get some funding from them. It’s around 2x as much as a state school per year, so that makes CSUSM very appealing (also I did my post bac with them, I know a lot of the people in their cohort, and I know their faculty and the material they are building on for grad school, whereas Chapman’s writing sample question was about someone we didn’t address in the post bac).

Chapman told me after my interview that decisions would be made shortly after an ASHA conference, but I haven’t been able to determine what conference they were referring to. I got an email from them last week, a thank you for the interview email, asking for patience while they make final decisions. Hopefully this week :) 

I don’t know what to make of the one Chapman acceptance from last week in the results thread. Maybe a mistaken entry? Shortly afterwards an interview with Chapman was also added. 

I found that I was also unfamiliar with the info needed to properly answer Chapman’s writing prompt. I am curious as to how the writing sample is weighted. 

Best of luck with Chapman!! I’m really hoping they come this week or next. If I remember correctly I thought I read someone say around the 19t of March, but I’m not positive on that. This state of limbo is driving me crazy. 

The amount of anxiety the waiting causes is insane. I applied to 9 places, 7 in SoCal and 2 out of state. I’m still waiting to hear back from Chapman and from CalState LA after the interview, but kind of lost hope with CSUF and CSULB :( 

I also don’t think I got in at Loma Linda. I never got an invitation for an interview and I know acceptances have already been sent out.

I really cannot picture myself going through this process over again next year... crossing my fingers for some good news from CSUN, CSULA or Chapman. 

Also, does anyone know how much Chapman usually offers in financial aid (grants, scholarships), if at all? 

Congratulations to those whl have received acceptances!