SoCal Applicants!

55 minutes ago, DjSLP2B said:

The amount of anxiety the waiting causes is insane. I applied to 9 places, 7 in SoCal and 2 out of state. I’m still waiting to hear back from Chapman and from CalState LA after the interview, but kind of lost hope with CSUF and CSULB :(

I also don’t think I got in at Loma Linda. I never got an invitation for an interview and I know acceptances have already been sent out.

I really cannot picture myself going through this process over again next year... crossing my fingers for some good news from CSUN, CSULA or Chapman. 

Also, does anyone know how much Chapman usually offers in financial aid (grants, scholarships), if at all? 

Congratulations to those whl have received acceptances!

I am waiting on the exact same acceptances! I truly wish you all the best. It is helpful to know that other people are going through the exact same thing but the unknown is so uncomfortable. How do you feel about your interviews with Chapman and CSULA? 

1 hour ago, DjSLP2B said:

The amount of anxiety the waiting causes is insane. I applied to 9 places, 7 in SoCal and 2 out of state. I’m still waiting to hear back from Chapman and from CalState LA after the interview, but kind of lost hope with CSUF and CSULB :(

I also don’t think I got in at Loma Linda. I never got an invitation for an interview and I know acceptances have already been sent out.

I really cannot picture myself going through this process over again next year... crossing my fingers for some good news from CSUN, CSULA or Chapman. 

Also, does anyone know how much Chapman usually offers in financial aid (grants, scholarships), if at all? 

I'm in a similar place. Waiting for CSULA, CSUN, (3  weeks til we hear from these two! ?) and Redlands, and have lost hope in Chapman/CSUF/CSULB because I never heard back for interviews. Also applied to 7 CA schools and 2 out of state lol. Which out of state schools have you applied to?

3 hours ago, DjSLP2B said:

I really cannot picture myself going through this process over again next year... crossing my fingers for some good news from CSUN, CSULA or Chapman. 

All I could find for Chapman is this, they offer the majority of their students funding. 

https://www.asha.org/edfind/details.aspx?id=OR8S6shNbOwPsvbc0g25Zw==

3 hours ago, Rezzy S. said:

I'm in a similar place. Waiting for CSULA, CSUN, (3  weeks til we hear from these two! ?) and Redlands, and have lost hope in Chapman/CSUF/CSULB because I never heard back for interviews. Also applied to 7 CA schools and 2 out of state lol. Which out of state schools have you applied to?

I applied to LaSalle and Temple University (alma mater). I really DON'T want to move though. I live in LA my bf and the thought of being away for 2 years is just too much. I CANNOT wait until March 29th (CSULA). I applied out-of-state just in case no one in SoCal takes me lol. Let's stay positive. All I keep telling myself is that I only need 1. Just one place that believes in. How about you - where did you apply?

29 minutes ago, Rosegrl211 said:

All I could find for Chapman is this, they offer the majority of their students funding. 

https://www.asha.org/edfind/details.aspx?id=OR8S6shNbOwPsvbc0g25Zw==

Thank you Rosegrl... I asked during my interview about grants and the answer was somewhat vague so that made me doubt anything impactful is provided. $70k is no joke. Nevertheless, I'd be super excited if I was accepted.

3 hours ago, Jspeechy said:

I am waiting on the exact same acceptances! I truly wish you all the best. It is helpful to know that other people are going through the exact same thing but the unknown is so uncomfortable. How do you feel about your interviews with Chapman and CSULA? 

I feel good about them... better about Chapman's than CSULA's. I was pretty nervous for CSULA's interview and I think it was palpable... but we'll see. How about you?

I applied to 15?ish schools. I didn't get into any programs last time around so I was determined to get somewhere that wanted me. 5 of the 15 were out of state. I applied to CSUF, CSULB, CSULA, CSUC, CSUSM, CSUN, Chapman, Loma Linda, Redlands, SDSU, UW, CUNY Hunter, Queens, Brooklyn, and U of Arizona.

I would totally prefer to stay in-state. Last week I got accepted into SDSU (!!) so at least I'm going somewhere! I'd rather go somewhere in Orange County though (since I live in Orange County). I had my interview with Chapman a while ago. CSUF would be the cheapest one out of my choices because I wouldn't have to relocate to anywhere (and I'd pay in-state tuition). Chapman looks really nice and the program location is only 15 minutes away from where I live, but it's... expensive.

I don't know how everything will play out, but I'm just so happy I got into somewhere!!!

12 minutes ago, blueci said:

I applied to 15?ish schools. I didn't get into any programs last time around so I was determined to get somewhere that wanted me. 5 of the 15 were out of state. I applied to CSUF, CSULB, CSULA, CSUC, CSUSM, CSUN, Chapman, Loma Linda, Redlands, SDSU, UW, CUNY Hunter, Queens, Brooklyn, and U of Arizona.

I would totally prefer to stay in-state. Last week I got accepted into SDSU (!!) so at least I'm going somewhere! I'd rather go somewhere in Orange County though (since I live in Orange County). I had my interview with Chapman a while ago. CSUF would be the cheapest one out of my choices because I wouldn't have to relocate to anywhere (and I'd pay in-state tuition). Chapman looks really nice and the program location is only 15 minutes away from where I live, but it's... expensive.

I don't know how everything will play out, but I'm just so happy I got into somewhere!!!

Congratulations on SDSU - that's a great program! We applied to 6 of the same schools. Did you get invitations to CSULB's interviews or CSUF's open house? 

I feel good about them... better about Chapman's than CSULA's. I was pretty nervous for CSULA's interview and I think it was palpable... but we'll see. 

I feel the same about my nerves at the CSULA interview ?

I applied to LaSalle and Temple University (alma mater). I really DON'T want to move though. I live in LA my bf and the thought of being away for 2 years is just too much. I CANNOT wait until March 29th (CSULA). I applied out-of-state just in case no one in SoCal takes me lol. Let's stay positive. All I keep telling myself is that I only need 1. Just one place that believes in. How about you - where did you apply?

Out of state I applied to UT Austin (admitted) and Portland State (wait listed). I've been admitted to one CA program so far but I would have to relocate and it would be complicated logistically. 

Edited by Rezzy S.

Just now, Rezzy S. said:

Congratulations on SDSU - that's a great program! We applied to 6 of the same schools. Did you get invitations to CSULB's interviews or CSUF's open house? 

Thanks!

I didn't get anything from CSULB or CSUF, but I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't make it since I didn't make it to CSUC, CSUSM, and CSULA.

8 minutes ago, blueci said:

Thanks!

I didn't get anything from CSULB or CSUF, but I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't make it since I didn't make it to CSUC, CSUSM, and CSULA.

I wasn’t invited either so just waiting for those rejections lol

6 minutes ago, Rezzy S. said:

I wasn’t invited either so just waiting for those rejections lol

haha lowkey same... but last year CSUF sent my rejection out so late!! It was well into April or May I think? It was so bizarre and when I asked the grad advisor the reason for rejection she said GPA so I feel like that should have been a pretty quick rejection.

7 hours ago, Jspeechy said:

I found that I was also unfamiliar with the info needed to properly answer Chapman’s writing prompt. I am curious as to how the writing sample is weighted. 

Best of luck with Chapman!! I’m really hoping they come this week or next. If I remember correctly I thought I read someone say around the 19t of March, but I’m not positive on that. This state of limbo is driving me crazy. 

Hmm.. now I'm wondering what the prompts were. Mine was asking about what my future plans are as an SLP and to write about it as if I was telling my best friend. I'm intrigued how they decided to do prompts, and did they give them to everyone?

1 hour ago, rosejoy said:

Hmm.. now I'm wondering what the prompts were. Mine was asking about what my future plans are as an SLP and to write about it as if I was telling my best friend. I'm intrigued how they decided to do prompts, and did they give them to everyone?

Wait... really? Mine was a very clinical question. I hadn’t covered this topic in my post bac so unfortunately I don’t think I did that great. No idea how they determine who gets what prompt or if it is completely random. I really hope it’s not analyzed too closely... sigh. No idea what to expect at this point. 

3 hours ago, DjSLP2B said:

I feel good about them... better about Chapman's than CSULA's. I was pretty nervous for CSULA's interview and I think it was palpable... but we'll see. How about you?

I feel the same. CSULA’s interview was too short and I feel like I didn’t get to say enough about myself and why I chose this career. Whereas, Chapman’s was much more conversational and we spoke a lot about the program but also more personal things. 

10 hours ago, Jspeechy said:

Wait... really? Mine was a very clinical question. I hadn’t covered this topic in my post bac so unfortunately I don’t think I did that great. No idea how they determine who gets what prompt or if it is completely random. I really hope it’s not analyzed too closely... sigh. No idea what to expect at this point. 

Same, mine was a clinical question we didn’t cover in my post bac as well. 

1 hour ago, Rosegrl211 said:

Same, mine was a clinical question we didn’t cover in my post bac as well. 

Wut. Why did I get such a basic question lol

6 hours ago, Jspeechy said:

Consider yourself lucky. The writing prompt put a damper on how I felt about the overall interview. 

I read on posts from years past that other people had a difficult writing prompt regarding a clinical situation that they had never learned about, and several people said they had no idea how to answer it. I think they said they felt they did poorly, but still got accepted! So I think you probably don’t have to worry too much about it.

On 3/11/2019 at 11:01 PM, Jspeechy said:

I feel the same. CSULA’s interview was too short and I feel like I didn’t get to say enough about myself and why I chose this career. Whereas, Chapman’s was much more conversational and we spoke a lot about the program but also more personal things. 

Hello,

It has been hard finding anyone posting about any of the school counseling programs on here but after reading this comment about CSULA's interview being somewhat short I had to reply and agree!  I had an interview with CSULA for the school based family counseling and felt it was very impersonal.  I felt as though they did not want to get to know me, but instead was testing my knowledge.  It has been over two weeks and I still have not received a yes or a no which is making me more anxious to say the least.  

On 3/11/2019 at 9:31 PM, rosejoy said:

Was a writing prompt mentioned in your invitation for an interview?

I just received an invite to interview at Chapman but don't see any mention of a writing prompt on my email. ( I already scheduled the interview and still no mention of a writing prompt. )

Thank you!

2 hours ago, hiimkhanh said:

I just received an invite to interview at Chapman but don't see any mention of a writing prompt on my email. ( I already scheduled the interview and still no mention of a writing prompt. )

Thank you!

No, I had no mention of a writing prompt either. It was slightly surprising, but I was suspicious it might happen from posts on this website from years ago.

On 3/13/2019 at 3:25 PM, hiimkhanh said:

Thank you!

When is your interview scheduled for? I had thought they were done and decisions might issue this week, but if they are still interviewing then I guess it’ll still be a while. Anxiously waiting for a decision, I called yesterday and they said it’ll be within a couple of weeks. 

I saw last years results had decisions starting around 3/19, and they were definitely staggered. 

1 hour ago, Rosegrl211 said:

When is your interview scheduled for? I had thought they were done and decisions might issue this week, but if they are still interviewing then I guess it’ll still be a while. Anxiously waiting for a decision, I called yesterday and they said it’ll be within a couple of weeks. 

I saw last years results had decisions starting around 3/19, and they were definitely staggered. 

You think they might issue acceptances in waves? I thought they would be sending out decisions this week too. They seem to have interviewed a lot of people! They have been interviewing for over a month now. 

Hi all, 

8 programs. 

2 private, 2 out of state, 4 cal states. 

CSULA denied me... I emailed asking for feedback. They let me know due to being in a post bacc with 3 units per class... I would graduate after 2 years because I did not have all their pre-reqs they needed. They did want this cohort graduating in at most 2 years... but they did mention my GPA was high and that another school should take me.. lets hope theyre right. Also students Ive talked to at CSHA have also been denied and mentioned that theyre partial to accepting their own students.. not sure if that is true.

CSUF - generic email with the mention of march 22 as possible open house for those invited... but still waiting, CSUN - met their coordinator at CSHA she mentioned decisions are made this week and  spring break is next week so the last week of march beginning april will be when we hear from them, CSULB- generic email stating that my application was going under department review. 

Redlands, LLU - nothing yet from these two. 

Columbia, Teachers College- Waitlisted

Emerson- the evaluator or admissions person said most interviews were in Feb so not counting on that.

Edited by SLPestudiante

2 hours ago, SLPestudiante said:

CSULA denied me... I emailed asking for feedback. They let me know due to being in a post bacc with 3 units per class... I would graduate after 2 years because I did not have all their pre-reqs they needed. They did want this cohort graduating in at most 2 years... but they did mention my GPA was high and that another school should take me.. lets hope theyre right. Also students Ive talked to at CSHA have also been denied and mentioned that theyre partial to accepting their own students.. not sure if that is true.

CSUF - generic email with the mention of march 22 as possible open house for those invited... but still waiting, CSUN - met their coordinator at CSHA she mentioned decisions are made this week and  spring break is next week so the last week of march beginning april will be when we hear from them, CSULB- generic email stating that my application was going under department review. 

Redlands, LLU - nothing yet from these two. 

Columbia, Teachers College- Waitlisted

Emerson- the evaluator or admissions person said most interviews were in Feb so not counting on that.

From everything I've heard, you're right that CSULA/CSUF/CSULB all take about half of their own students. I don't know that much about CSUN. At this point it looks like all of the interview invitations have been sent out for CSUF and CSULB, but who knows maybe we still have a chance ?. Thank you for the info about CSUN! In the past they've announced the last week of March, but I was hoping maybe we would hear earlier. It seems like CSUN accepts more students than those other SoCal CSU's, but they don't post anything on ASHA EdFind so I can't confirm that. Did she happen to mention how many they usually admit? Waiting for Redlands, too.

You may also find this topic helpful if you're trying to keep tabs on the CSU's.