17 hours ago, dancedementia said:

I keep on going to the websites of my two top choice programs and just rereading the information over and over again because I am just SO DARN ANTSY. Does anyone else do this? It's not just me, right?!

I did this and I got accepted so it must work! Hopefully it’ll work for you too!

I interviewed at a program on Feb 8 and I haven’t heard back yet... I know at least 1 POI there made an offer to someone last Wednesday but haven’t heard anything from my POI yet. What could be taking them so long and does that mean they probably offered to someone else?

52 minutes ago, mm2234 said:

I interviewed at a program on Feb 8 and I haven’t heard back yet... I know at least 1 POI there made an offer to someone last Wednesday but haven’t heard anything from my POI yet. What could be taking them so long and does that mean they probably offered to someone else?

It could simply mean that the POI is still in the process of figuring out funding, how many applicants they can offer acceptances to, etc. It doesn’t necessarily mean you won’t be accepted, there are many factors that go into the process. 

23 minutes ago, ASDadvocate said:

When you go to an interview, hear your POI talk about their research, and you just know that the match with your interests is PERFECT!

e26ab8f9f29edf254adea0066b988b69.jpg

And then get waitlisted (in my case LOL)

Sent my POI an email after interviewing to say thanks and reiterate that I love her lab.

Got a note back:

Dear dancedementia,
Thank you for taking the time to come and meet with us. It was a pleasure to speak with you.
Thank you for your note,
[POI name]

WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!?!?!

6 minutes ago, dancedementia said:

Sent my POI an email after interviewing to say thanks and reiterate that I love her lab.

Got a note back:

Dear dancedementia,
Thank you for taking the time to come and meet with us. It was a pleasure to speak with you.
Thank you for your note,
[POI name]

WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!?!?!

This seems like a neutral response, not indicative of anything. At least you didn't have a POI ghost you which is what happened to me... I mean I've had romantic interests ghost me... sure, but a professor I interviewed with? That's a whole different level of hurt ?

Edited by PsychWannabee

3 minutes ago, PsychWannabee said:

This seems like a neutral response, not indicative of anything. At least you didn't have a POI ghost you which is what happened to me... I mean I've had romantic interests ghost me... sure, but a professor I interviewed with? That's a whole different level of hurt ?

Yeah, I was being partially facetious (and very very hopeful that embedded somewhere in there is a secret message that my acceptance is coming soon). I've had the ghost happen this cycle too, which has been super heartbreaking :(

3 minutes ago, dancedementia said:

Yeah, I was being partially facetious (and very very hopeful that embedded somewhere in there is a secret message that my acceptance is coming soon). I've had the ghost happen this cycle too, which has been super heartbreaking :(

I hope there is some secret message embedded that we didn't catch!! I think the ghosting thing is disappointing, but I also feel like it can be a little telling, not necessarily about admission possibilities but about the POI themselves. Then again, I may be reading too much into things lol

35 minutes ago, dancedementia said:

Got a note back:

Dear dancedementia,
Thank you for your note,
[POI name]

WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!?!?!

I've received several emails like this too (from Psy.D. programs) and I don't know what to think about them!! And that makes me wonder about the schools that did not respond to my thank you emails!! 

Interviewed at Nebraska this past weekend and am seeing acceptances trickle in (somehow a literal day after the interview???), which is causing me to anxiously re-live every moment of the interview weekend. I'm really introverted so I don't excel at group/casual settings but I think I interview well so IDK what to think. I just want this to be over. 

2 hours ago, dancedementia said:

Got a note back:

Dear dancedementia,
Thank you for your note,
[POI name]

WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!?!?!

To me that seems like a nice, thoughtful reply! All I received back from one POI was "It was great to meet you!" which to me OBVIOUSLY means I'm not their first choice. How do I know this, you ask? Pure paranoia. Charlie from IASIP is my spirit animal at the moment ? 

007.gif

For the schools I've been accepted to so far, their replies ranged from super positive ("I'm very excited about our shared research interests!") to neutral to no response at all... Which leads me to the conclusion that a POI's reply to a thank you email has little to do with my chances of being accepted. So... nothing to do but continue waiting!

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on these forums, and I come seeking some advice/support/overall just need to vent. I applied to 14 Clinical PhD programs and received 7 interviews. I was elated! I have currently completed 6 of the 7 interviews. I have not received any official rejections yet, but I have gotten 1 waitlist email. I found out someone from my top program accepted an offer with my PI. I'm of course very bummed, and worried that I don't have a chance at any other program because my closest research match denied me. I know it isn't personal and many factors go into this, but I am feeling very discouraged. I have also seen some acceptances on these forums from another program, so I'm just freaking out. I know there is still a chance and that I can't control any of this now, but this really sucks! I'm so happy to have even gotten this far, but now that I am here, the denials are going to hurt much more. 

Not sure exactly what I am asking, but hoping for any advice/tips/shared experiences others may have. Thank you in advance!!

11 minutes ago, Mignon said:

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on these forums, and I come seeking some advice/support/overall just need to vent. I applied to 14 Clinical PhD programs and received 7 interviews. I was elated! I have currently completed 6 of the 7 interviews. I have not received any official rejections yet, but I have gotten 1 waitlist email. I found out someone from my top program accepted an offer with my PI. I'm of course very bummed, and worried that I don't have a chance at any other program because my closest research match denied me. I know it isn't personal and many factors go into this, but I am feeling very discouraged. I have also seen some acceptances on these forums from another program, so I'm just freaking out. I know there is still a chance and that I can't control any of this now, but this really sucks! I'm so happy to have even gotten this far, but now that I am here, the denials are going to hurt much more. 

Not sure exactly what I am asking, but hoping for any advice/tips/shared experiences others may have. Thank you in advance!!

My ONE acceptance so far has come from someone who I would have not considered my closest research match, but they wanted me. So, there is definitely still hope! Especially for you since you had 7 interviews!! Don't let this process get to you. You're definitely a very qualified applicant, and there are so many factors that go into these decisions. Sending you all the best vibes :)

I can definitely sympathize with the paranoia of analyzing every detail of the thank you replies. I had a POI at a top choice say that he was "excited" to get back to me soon to inform me of their decision. You wouldn't be excited unless you were sharing a positive decision, right? ?

11 hours ago, ASDadvocate said:

I can definitely sympathize with the paranoia of analyzing every detail of the thank you replies. I had a POI at a top choice say that he was "excited" to get back to me soon to inform me of their decision. You wouldn't be excited unless you were sharing a positive decision, right? ?

I've been doing the same thing! One POI said that they "hoped to see me in the fall", but to also pick the choice that best fit my interests/budget. If you hope to see me in fall, could that mean there's an offer in my future? Can't help but try to read into it. ?

8 minutes ago, TheEternalGrad said:

I've been doing the same thing! One POI said that they "hoped to see me in the fall", but to also pick the choice that best fit my interests/budget. If you hope to see me in fall, could that mean there's an offer in my future? Can't help but try to read into it. ?

Those are pretty strong words! I'm sure most POIs would be aware of their words before sending out emails. I guess only time will tell but I would be curious if anyone receives a decision that didn't match with an obvious email/communication remark, such as "see you in the fall".

17 hours ago, gillis_55 said:

To me that seems like a nice, thoughtful reply! All I received back from one POI was "It was great to meet you!" which to me OBVIOUSLY means I'm not their first choice. How do I know this, you ask? Pure paranoia. Charlie from IASIP is my spirit animal at the moment ? 

007.gif

For the schools I've been accepted to so far, their replies ranged from super positive ("I'm very excited about our shared research interests!") to neutral to no response at all... Which leads me to the conclusion that a POI's reply to a thank you email has little to do with my chances of being accepted. So... nothing to do but continue waiting!

Nearly cried when I got that exact same response from one POI. First thought: they hated me. ?

I had an interview with my dream school and POI Feb 1.. She said she submitted my name for acceptance but ultimately I need to get through ad comm.. She emphasized how competitive selection was, how the decision is now out of her control and said *FINGERS CROSSED*.

ughh... why does this process seem like it's pure luck sometimes?

Posted this in another thread but might have more luck here.... So I got a call today for my POI at my top choice school saying that she is planning on extending an offer to me but has to wait to hear back about a grant that was reviewed today - she said we’d probably know next week whether she has the funding to take me on. I’m over the moon excited that I am her top choice but terrified that the funding will fall through and I won’t end up getting in... has this happened with anyone else? Should I be worried??