(Crowd Sourced) Deadlines Spreadsheet

Ternwild

There needs to be a universal location for deadlines for programs so you can easily search what programs you have left.  I suggested this in the questions sections and @TGCA suggested making a Google Sheet.  So, I have done just that. 

How to use the Deadlines List Google Sheet:

• Use this link Deadlines List to access the Google Sheet
  • Select the "Filter views..." icon on the right hand side of the top menu bar and Select "Create new temporary filter view" from the drop down menu.

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Select the drop down arrow on any tab to select the filter option

3.jpg

• A filter menu will appear.  Navigate to "Filter by condition..." and click the arrow next to it.

4.jpg

• In the drop down menu, select "Text Contains." 

5.jpg

• A field will appear that says "Value or formula."  Type in the name of the university, program, etc (as applicable for each tab) and select "OK."

image.png.3849b606c23f7f1b928d0b4c1d54b58f.png

image.png.bdd2b83dfff350f2b66304dc7f744c9c.png

• The tab will now display all items that match that criteria.  You can use multiple filters to hone your search.

6.jpg

How to enter data in the Google Sheet:

• Use this link Deadlines List to access the Google Sheet
  • Under "TGC University," type any portion of the University name.  Find the option that best fits and select it from the drop-down menu.

7.jpg

• Under "TGC Program" type in any portion of the name of the program you're applying to.  Find the option that best fits and select it from the drop-down menu. 

Note: If you've applied to a program with a very specific name such as " Underground Construction & Tunnel Engineering" and you can't find it in the drop-down list, type the name as is, but only after you're sure you can't find it.

8.jpg

• Under "Degree Type" enter in the type of degree the deadline applies to.  (For example, a Master's in Science would be entered "MS.")

image.png.ff59d73514566769f80c3f4e2f19ee81.png

• Under the "Deadline" column, enter in the date in the following format: DD/MM.  (For example, March 1st should be entered in as "01/03", which the program will convert to "1-Mar".)

image.png.c3ec369261b0344d28a2ed9a132dcc46.png

• Finally, under "Application Season," type in the season in which the deadline applies to. (For example, Fall 2019 will be written F19 and Spring 20 will be S20.  In the event of a Summer deadline, type "Summer19")

image.png.8c6ec8979fae0542bf4b24d91db805f5.png

Data entered in the Google Sheet is crowd sourced and is on an integrity basis.  We are hoping to have a simple method for people to find application dates for programs or schools they're interested in.  If data for that year is not available, they can look at what the deadlines were last year to get a general idea and then enter in a new entry with the deadline once they find out. 

If you applied to or hope to apply to a graduate program, please take the opportunity to update the Google Sheet with the previous and current application deadline.  The more data we have, the better it is for everyone.  Remember that sweet tool you used from 2013 to get an idea of GRE acceptance scores?  Well, make this tool available to future applicants.  

How to remove filters:

• Look for the filter icon and click it.

1.jpg

• Select the arrows located next to "Text Contains."

2.jpg

• Select "None" from the dropdown menu.

3.jpg

• Click "OK" and the filters will be removed.  Be sure to do that to all tabs with filters.

4.jpg

Hope this helps. ?

I've entered some deadlines, but most of the schools/programs I applied to had multiple deadlines (priority funding and final deadline, for example). Which would you prefer I list? Or should I list them all with a note saying which deadlines they are?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, cefran said:

I've entered some deadlines, but most of the schools/programs I applied to had multiple deadlines (priority funding and final deadline, for example). Which would you prefer I list? Or should I list them all with a note saying which deadlines they are?

Thanks!

I think the priority funding is best.  The deadline that gives people the best opportunities.

6 minutes ago, Ternwild said:

I think the priority funding is best.  The deadline that gives people the best opportunities.

Thanks! That was my gut feeling, so I entered those dates.

*NOTE*  Filter System has been suspended until further notice due to Google Sheets switching values inappropriately.  A previous version has been restored for 1453 PDT 02/16/19.

Please still enter data as available.  Thank you.

42 minutes ago, historygeek said:

I went ahead and entered some history data. Great idea, @Ternwild!

Thanks.  Did you update the program and application season data for your entries?

Edit: I went ahead and did it. 

The only issue with this is, every once in a while someone will come in, destroy all the data, and then I have to roll it back to a previous version (like just happened).

Edited by Ternwild

2 hours ago, Ternwild said:

The only issue with this is, every once in a while someone will come in, destroy all the data, and then I have to roll it back to a previous version (like just happened).

The issue with preventing people from destroying existing data has been fixed.  People should not be able to destroy existing data, any longer.

I'll enter the data I have for English :) This sounds fantastic, lovely work so far!

EDIT: Just did! May have done something in error though. I tried to enter Columbia's deadline date but for some reason it isn't converting into the 14-Dec format, the rest of my entries worked just fine. (and if I can find more deadlines for the programs in my original longlist, I'll put in more)

Edited by Ranmaag

4 minutes ago, daradara said:

Well If I ever wanted to apply to the Colorado School of Mines I know where to turn to. Surely the internet's most comprehensive source on the school.

Certainly seems so.  We are hoping to have the same of that for every school.  Anything you can contribute, the better. 

1 minute ago, Ternwild said:

Certainly seems so.  We are hoping to have the same of that for every school.  Anything you can contribute, the better. 

Yes, I think I will when I have a little more time. The only thing I can hope though, is that there is continual community renewal, as the dates periodically change. I would hate for the project to be undermined for future use--its primary intent after all--due to lack of upkeep. In that case, it could actually be very unhelpful to applicants! I would be okay with coming here at least once a year and seeing to it that the dates for my school/field are correct. Best of luck with the project.

50 minutes ago, daradara said:

Yes, I think I will when I have a little more time. The only thing I can hope though, is that there is continual community renewal, as the dates periodically change. I would hate for the project to be undermined for future use--its primary intent after all--due to lack of upkeep. In that case, it could actually be very unhelpful to applicants! I would be okay with coming here at least once a year and seeing to it that the dates for my school/field are correct. Best of luck with the project.

To clear up the doubt you casted on the project, this data is being delivered directly to TheGradCafe, who plan to make a simple tool to allow future candidates a chance to look at previous years' data on application dates.  The results page, for example, is used for a very similar purpose of seeing around when decisions came out in the past.  Ultimately, their tool will likely continue to allow future applicants to imput their data in a never ending flow. 

*CALLING ALL DATA SCIENTISTS AND THOSE ANXIOUSLY WAITING FOR REPLIES SO NEED A HOBBY*

We currently have 242 data points!  We need data miners to scour university websites and provide deadlines for all their graduate programs.  This is an investment in a tool for future applicants!  Come help!  University by University we will have the most comprehensive list of 2019 application dates.  We need your help! ?

@Ternwild - great job getting this started!

For this to work(converting into a useful tool), we need to ensure data integrity. Most importantly, we need a common list of universities and programs. I can provide a starting point, which we can use to populate the University and Program columns. They will become drop downs to ensure everyone is using the same text for Washington University. Furthermore, it would be helpful if we matched on our existing University names for an easy match at conversion time.

I will be in touch on setting this up.

For some reason, I can't add deadlines for institutions that are not listed (e.g., John Jay, Queen's, etc.) – the option to add a row is not available. Is there any other way?

4 minutes ago, NogitsuneX said:

For some reason, I can't add deadlines for institutions that are not listed (e.g., John Jay, Queen's, etc.) – the option to add a row is not available. Is there any other way?

Go ahead and type in your institution name as is.  It shouldn't prevent you from doing so anymore.  But do try to university names with the closest available from the drop down menu.  Also, if you have to manually enter it, enter the name exactly like it is on their website, like you were mailing a letter to them (i.e. u of new hamp , University of New Hampshire ✔️).

It looks like the Sheet was modified from my edits, but the intention was to add new Universities to the Universities tab, which would auto populate the Sheet1 TGA University drop down column. It looks like the Drop Down formula(which pulls in from the other tabs) was removed. Without it, it is difficult to enforce data integrity. 

4 hours ago, TGCA said:

It looks like the Sheet was modified from my edits, but the intention was to add new Universities to the Universities tab, which would auto populate the Sheet1 TGA University drop down column.

Did you want them to be able to add them?  My plan was for them to manually imput the data if it doesn't show in their dropdown menu and I'll add those specific universities/program names to the list.

It looks like the Drop Down formula(which pulls in from the other tabs) was removed.

It wasn't removed.  I only set it so it wouldn't reject them; instead, it lets them enter it but with an error indicator, which allows me to quickly flag it and add the name of the university, personally. 

Edited by Ternwild

12 hours ago, Ternwild said:

It wasn't removed.  I only set it so it wouldn't reject them; instead, it lets them enter it but with an error indicator, which allows me to quickly flag it and add the name of the university, personally. 

Got it. As long as there is a process to get new options added, sounds good to me.