(Crowd Sourced) Deadlines Spreadsheet

Ternwild

On 2/24/2019 at 11:18 AM, pepperpop said:

Could you explain a little more how we add data? How do we access the drop down menu?

The tutorial explains it pretty well.  But as soon as you type the name of the program or university, the drop down menu will start to auto populate with the item that closely fits.  Give it a try by starting to type in the Cell and you'll see what I mean. 

On 2/25/2019 at 5:37 PM, Ternwild said:

The tutorial explains it pretty well.  But as soon as you type the name of the program or university, the drop down menu will start to auto populate with the item that closely fits.  Give it a try by starting to type in the Cell and you'll see what I mean. 

I did read the tutorial. I thought it was referring to typing in the cells at the top of the page, which didn't work, and it wouldn't let me add a row. I see now that you have to scroll down to the empty cells at the bottom.

1 hour ago, pepperpop said:

I did read the tutorial. I thought it was referring to typing in the cells at the top of the page, which didn't work, and it wouldn't let me add a row. I see now that you have to scroll down to the empty cells at the bottom.

Very good. I'm glad you were able to figure it out. ?

• dr. t pinned this topic

How should I choose the program for "Biological and Biomedical Sciences"? Can I add it as a choice in the "Programs" sheet? 

A lot of universities have these "BBS" umbrella programs, but I do not see it listed. I feel choosing either "Biological sciences" or "Biomedical sciences" is going to create confusion/inconvenience.

Also, I see at least 3 different versions of UChicago's name listed in the drop down menu:

U of Chicago

University of Chicago

University Of Chicago

Someone should probably clean up the list a bit...

On 3/14/2019 at 3:12 PM, DRMF said:

Also, I see at least 3 different versions of UChicago's name listed in the drop down menu:

U of Chicago

University of Chicago

University Of Chicago

Someone should probably clean up the list a bit...

To answer both your questions:

First, for those programs that aren't on the list, no you don't add them to the program list, you will simply type in the program name and ignore the error it gives you.  If there are enough of the same program, I will add them to the list, later, which will automatically remove the error without any additional input from you.  So, just type in whatever the program is called.

Second, The names of the universities are provided as data sources from TGC administration and are the same data points you select from when you submit your results.  These names and variations will remain the same, as they are key to a future tool that is being developed to allow people to search for deadlines, in the future.

15 hours ago, Ternwild said:

To answer both your questions:

First, for those programs that aren't on the list, no you don't add them to the program list, you will simply type in the program name and ignore the error it gives you.  If there are enough of the same program, I will add them to the list, later, which will automatically remove the error without any additional input from you.  So, just type in whatever the program is called.

Second, The names of the universities are provided as data sources from TGC administration and are the same data points you select from when you submit your results.  These names and variations will remain the same, as they are key to a future tool that is being developed to allow people to search for deadlines, in the future.

Thanks for the reply!

To the second point, I just tried typing in "University of Chicago" again in the Submit Your Results page, and the third version (with capitalized Of) doesn't exist as a full name in that drop down menu, only as part of "University Of Chicago Divinity School" or "... Harris School". It does still exist as a full name in the drop down menu in the Deadlines List Google sheet.

And it took an embarrassing amount of time for me to realize TGC means TheGradCafe. I thought it was some sort of play on the username TGCA, which was itself a play of TCGA, the cancer genome database...

2 hours ago, DRMF said:

Thanks for the reply!

To the second point, I just tried typing in "University of Chicago" again in the Submit Your Results page, and the third version (with capitalized Of) doesn't exist as a full name in that drop down menu, only as part of "University Of Chicago Divinity School" or "... Harris School". It does still exist as a full name in the drop down menu in the Deadlines List Google sheet.

And it took an embarrassing amount of time for me to realize TGC means TheGradCafe. I thought it was some sort of play on the username TGCA, which was itself a play of TCGA, the cancer genome database...

Yes, the data for the school names came directly from @TGCA who is the lead administrator of this website.  (Sorry TGCA for tagging you).

On 3/16/2019 at 12:35 AM, Ternwild said:

This is not accurate. Yes, the data provided is the current list in the Submit Your Results form(which is much improved over the previous list), but not perfect. My suggestion was to use data from a singular list. That singular list can be edited and at this point should be. As long as the main sheet is making use of a singular source of data for university/subject, we can easily migrate that to a future tool.

If there are university/subject that aren't perfect, by all means, I would suggest an edit to the source tabs.

2 hours ago, TGCA said:

If there are university/subject that aren't perfect, by all means, I would suggest an edit to the source tabs.

I suspect you're implying additions, which I already intend to add myself, as it is best not to allow the general public access to.  As you're fine with editing the School Names, I'll go ahead and remove the capital "Of" name, that @DRMF pointed out.