Canadian Political Science Application Thread 2018-2019

Hey gang! Someone just asked over in Waiting It Out and I thought I'd get a thread started here for convenience, and also outside the main thread so the American-exclusive crowd doesn't have to deal with this. I've only applied to the University of Toronto, but I don't expect to hear from them for a couple weeks yet. To anyone else applying in Canada, have you had any luck? I know @as2472 has already heard back from UBC - congratulations! And good luck everyone!!

10 hours ago, PBandMachiajelly said:

Hey gang! Someone just asked over in Waiting It Out and I thought I'd get a thread started here for convenience, and also outside the main thread so the American-exclusive crowd doesn't have to deal with this. I've only applied to the University of Toronto, but I don't expect to hear from them for a couple weeks yet. To anyone else applying in Canada, have you had any luck? I know @as2472 has already heard back from UBC - congratulations! And good luck everyone!!

10 hours ago, PolisciappDZ said:

Same here, applied to UofT and UBC, still have not heard back from any of them. Guessing UBC has already decided on future cohort, congratulations to you!

I have yet to hear anything from Canadian schools yet. Last year Toronto was mid Feb with results, but I think you're right, that late Feb-early March is more likely. From what I have heard, the bulk of admissions for most schools come out the last week of Feb to early March. I get a mini heart attack each time I see the results page, with the American cycle being ahead of us...

Edited by nostos

7 hours ago, nostos said:

I have yet to hear anything from Canadian schools yet. Last year Toronto was mid Feb with results, but I think you're right, that late Feb-early March is more likely. From what I have heard, the bulk of admissions for most schools come out the last week of Feb to early March. I get a mini heart attack each time I see the results page, with the American cycle being ahead of us...

I hear you. I'd love to know why the American schools have the mid-Dec deadline and the Canadian schools wait until January. It'd be so nice to hear back about everything at once, instead of the longer wait...

3 hours ago, PBandMachiajelly said:

I hear you. I'd love to know why the American schools have the mid-Dec deadline and the Canadian schools wait until January. It'd be so nice to hear back about everything at once, instead of the longer wait...

11 hours ago, nostos said:

19 hours ago, PolisciappDZ said:

Same here, applied to UofT and UBC, still have not heard back from any of them. Guessing UBC has already decided on future cohort, congratulations to you!

Have you guys all done your masters? Or applying for direct PhD? 

Hey!

I am really interested in both U of T and UBC for next cycle, but I am an American without any Canadian citizenship. I am wondering if anyone on here is going through or has gone through that process as an American, like how does it work? Do those schools fund foreign students? and I know there was a big commotion in this country about the changing visa laws and how that would affect grad students, but whats the process like over in the great maple north? 

Thanks!

Applied for theory master program at UBC. Anyone knows when the decision would be out for the master program?

1 hour ago, Dwar said:

Hey!

I am really interested in both U of T and UBC for next cycle, but I am an American without any Canadian citizenship. I am wondering if anyone on here is going through or has gone through that process as an American, like how does it work? Do those schools fund foreign students? and I know there was a big commotion in this country about the changing visa laws and how that would affect grad students, but whats the process like over in the great maple north? 

Thanks!

I’m applying as a non-Canadian student and as far as I know, for PhD students they (the big four) have funding irregardless of your nationality. Don’t know much about the visa process though. 

2 hours ago, Dwar said:

Hey!

Thanks!

UBC:

1. How does it work?

- the procedure is exactly the same as domestic Canadian students

2. Funding?

- yes, they do fund foreign students and there is no difference between domestic and international students. In the past, people may receive different funding package because their supervisor may have additional sources. But as far as I know, all students now have the same funding package (you may get more if you receive some UBC scholarship). 

3. Visa?

- it will not affect your student visa process. You will be fine. I have never heard anyone who got rejected. I think what you want to say is the change regarding the student-work permit change. I do not know how the new work permit change will affect graduate students (I am still a student). But from my friends who are applying for working permit, they say it is just formality issue and no big essential change. However, you may want to consult UBC directly.

U of T:

1. How does it work?

- the procedure is exactly the same as domestic Canadain students. However, unlike UBC, U of T has a quota system for international students. This quota system is not erected by the school--it is provincial regulation. In other words, they will recruit domestic students first. And they need to fight for each international student they want to admit. The tricky thing about American is that American is not as international as students from other countries. You may want to consult U of T directly (not the students, not the professors, but the administration). I am sorry but I cannot tell how this quota system may impact your application. I have heard various stories. You may want to check their current Ph.D. students webpages and you will find that UBC is much more diverse and international compared with U of T.

2. Funding?

- yes, they do fund foreign students. Please be noticed that they do not fund MA graduate students.

3. Visa?

- Same as UBC.

Hope it helps.

5 hours ago, Onwarrdz said:

Hey!

I'm a Canadian, currently living in the UK. I've applied mostly to US schools, but also U of T (where I did my undergrad) and McGill. Obviously, have heard nothing at all yet. Also theory! 

Good luck! Are you aiming for the direct entry PhD? Or have you done an MA?

Hi all! First time posting. 

I've also been accepted to UBC. Still waiting to hear back from UofT and McGill. 

I did my MA at UBC, so if anyone has questions about the department, or living in Vancouver, feel free to send me a message.

14 hours ago, plzuniverse said:

Applied for theory master program at UBC. Anyone knows when the decision would be out for the master program?

I’m applying as a non-Canadian student and as far as I know, for PhD students they (the big four) have funding irregardless of your nationality. Don’t know much about the visa process though. 

Thanks for the info!

30 minutes ago, PBandMachiajelly said:

Good luck! Are you aiming for the direct entry PhD? Or have you done an MA?

I did an MA in the UK two years ago. So far I've gotten into Michigan, so likely going to go there over the Canadian schools. But god, I would way rather live in Montreal or Toronto than Ann Arbor any day.