Political Theory Applications 2019

Theory007

On 2/26/2019 at 6:51 PM, MissTimshel said:

What are y'alls thoughts on smaller political theory programs within more quant-driven departments? (e.g. Stanford) 

I think programs of that kind are quite interesting. Joining one of those departments will certainly make you a political theorist with an even more narrow expertise, but if your interests are in that direction then it's a good choice for sure. Are you at Stanford for theory?

I was admitted at Stanford for theory, yes! and was curious about how people think about departments with small theory cohorts in general. What makes you think it'd result in a narrow expertise? Because there are just fewer profs to work with? 

On 2/26/2019 at 10:03 PM, as2472 said:

Sorry, what are UCI and UCR? 

I finished my MA in political theory this past August and am currently doing a fellowship year with a Jewish social justice non-profit! It's somehow extremely relevant to my work which, given that I do normative political theory, is kind of shocking honestly. The rest of my work history is an assortment of part-time teaching positions + a year as a barista. 

Where did you do your MA, if you don't mind me asking? And was it funded?

On 2/26/2019 at 4:07 PM, thephaeron said:

Univ of California - Irvine & Riverside. 

That fellowship sounds awesome. How did you come across it?

Thanks! It's a long, bizarre story. The short version is that I visited the Detroit branch of the organization with my Hebrew School students last winter and was convinced to apply! 

4 minutes ago, _izzythekid_ said:

Where did you do your MA, if you don't mind me asking? And was it funded?

I did MAPSS at UChicago. It was half funded (luckily my BA was also largely funded by a combination of scholarships and bursaries so I was able to cover the rest with my college fund). 

20 hours ago, MissTimshel said:

I was admitted at Stanford for theory, yes! and was curious about how people think about departments with small theory cohorts in general. What makes you think it'd result in a narrow expertise? Because there are just fewer profs to work with? 

I'm a current student in another of these departments with small theory cohorts (usually 1 matriculating per year, theory students make up <15 percent of the department). 

The biggest downside is that you do not (usually) have much room to pivot with your research interests, while still getting the benefits of your faculty's expertise. It's important to remember, though, that you're not in graduate school to do the same thing your advisor does. Additionally, resources for your study may be spread across multiple departments or universities (we have 3 theory profs in the department, but probably 10 across the campus in other departments, plus access to several nearby universities). 

Places with small cohorts will tend to work best for people with clear and well-defined research interests, and who are self-motivated in finding resources. 

Some big pluses: You won't have to compete for faculty attention. You will likely (by necessity) become conversant in other subfields in political science. You will learn to talk about your work in ways that communicate its value to people who aren't theorists. 

On 3/5/2019 at 6:23 PM, StrengthandHonor said:

I'm a current student in another of these departments with small theory cohorts (usually 1 matriculating per year, theory students make up <15 percent of the department). 

The biggest downside is that you do not (usually) have much room to pivot with your research interests, while still getting the benefits of your faculty's expertise. It's important to remember, though, that you're not in graduate school to do the same thing your advisor does. Additionally, resources for your study may be spread across multiple departments or universities (we have 3 theory profs in the department, but probably 10 across the campus in other departments, plus access to several nearby universities). 

Places with small cohorts will tend to work best for people with clear and well-defined research interests, and who are self-motivated in finding resources. 

Some big pluses: You won't have to compete for faculty attention. You will likely (by necessity) become conversant in other subfields in political science. You will learn to talk about your work in ways that communicate its value to people who aren't theorists. 

This is really helpful. Thank you for your insight! 

On 3/5/2019 at 6:53 PM, tjdnv37vz said:

Anyone heard back from Chicago?

I was denied today and offered $27k/year at MAPSS, so I guess they are finally getting to those of us that haven't heard anything. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 2/26/2019 at 1:07 PM, thephaeron said:

Univ of California - Irvine & Riverside. 

That fellowship sounds awesome. How did you come across it?

Hey Phaeron, 

I realize this is an old thread, though I see your location is Los Angeles, so I am wondering if you wound up at UCI. I am very keen to go there and will be applying this cycle. I wonder if I can pick your brain? Thanks!