Declining Offers/Withdrawing Applications Thread

hector549

4 minutes ago, The_Last_Thylacine said:

I just declined UCSB (which almost broke my heart).

Did UG there, honestly are not missing much. 

About 3/4th of the facutly professors hate teaching, and were not happy nor willing to help an aspiring grad. Graduate students were very nice though.  

1 minute ago, DoodleBob said:

Did UG there, honestly are not missing much. 

About 3/4th of the facutly professors hate teaching, and were not happy nor willing to help an aspiring grad. Graduate students were very nice though.  

I mean, UCSB is an R1, so that makes sense. 

2 minutes ago, The_Last_Thylacine said:

I mean, UCSB is an R1, so that makes sense. 

Yeah. But, unfortunately some graduates changed AOI due to the poor professors (in terms of teaching and willingness to help) which make the department’s rank on PGR. 

2 minutes ago, DoodleBob said:

Yeah. But, unfortunately some graduates changed AOI due to the poor professors (in terms of teaching and willingness to help) which make the department’s rank on PGR. 

I'm afraid that I don't understand what you're trying to say. You think the professors are poor, which is why UCSB is ranked 44th on the Philosophical Gourmet Report? If this is what you think, I would say that there are a good number of excellent faculty members there. The department is very small, so it would be hard for them to compete with larger departments, given their size. For what it's worth, the graduate students that I talked to claimed that the faculty were very helpful. 

24 minutes ago, The_Last_Thylacine said:

I'm afraid that I don't understand what you're trying to say. You think the professors are poor, which is why UCSB is ranked 44th on the Philosophical Gourmet Report? If this is what you think, I would say that there are a good number of excellent faculty members there. The department is very small, so it would be hard for them to compete with larger departments, given their size. For what it's worth, the graduate students that I talked to claimed that the faculty were very helpful. 

I'm sorry if I have been unclear. What I mean is that (trying to not name specific professors) there are some professors which, given their academic reputation, is why UCSB ranks 44th on the Philosophical Gourmet Report, but, are nonetheless poor advisors. Graduate students with a specific AOI looking to work under these faculty change AOI. My previous comment was too generalised; depending on your AOI, you are not missing much. 

Edit: typo

Edited by DoodleBob

10 hours ago, kakaz said:

I just declined my spot at Georgetown, and removed myself from all of the waitlists that I'm on: UO, Emory, and Northwestern.

AOI: philosophy of race, critical theory, 20th c. continental, political philosophy

@Dysexlia re: Northwestern, similar AOI