Declining Offers/Withdrawing Applications Thread

hector549

On 2/19/2019 at 10:09 PM, lurkingfaculty said:

I would just email the director of admissions directly and tell them that you have a different offer that you will definitely accept. (There is probably a way to do this online in some of the systems, but I would say even if you do that still email the director of admissions, since they might not notice that you've done it in the system, etc.--at least in our system we still have access to withdrawn applications and they look just like regular ones.)

In addition to the reasons given above, this helps admissions committees A LOT! If you withdraw your application, then we can offer the spot we might have offered to you directly to the person who would be first on the waitlist, instead of waitlisting them. (Or, if we were on the fence about you, we can stop worrying about you altogether and just move on.)

I've already sent an email, but haven't received any reply. Does that matter? Is there anything else I need to do? I fell a little nervous…

Just declined funding for an MA at SFU. Hope it helps someone!

By the way, is there anyone on here who is sitting on one of the nice packages from GSU? I'm apparently at the top of the waitlist for it, and it's the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger now (freeing up other offers), so I'm curious as to what said person is thinking, if they're on here & willing to share. :)

13 hours ago, philosopuppy said:

By the way, is there anyone on here who is sitting on one of the nice packages from GSU? I'm apparently at the top of the waitlist for it, and it's the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger now (freeing up other offers), so I'm curious as to what said person is thinking, if they're on here & willing to share. :)

Hi Philosopuppy, I don’t have an answer to your question, but I am curious how you learned your position on the waitlist. 

Was it stated in your waitlist email? Did you ask? From my memory, Tim O’Keefe stated he would not let prospective students know their position on the waitlist or their chances of getting in. 

Thanks!

20 hours ago, philosopuppy said:

Do you happen to be sitting on funded offers from Western Michigan or Toledo as well?