Planning Admissions 2019

On 3/4/2019 at 4:44 PM, extravaganzta said:

Hello! I applied to 7 programs (for future lurkers, 7 programs is A LOT -- try to whittle down the list a bit):

- MIT: Accepted -- waiting on mail for financial info (was called on Thursday of last week.. been 3 business days so far and nothing in my mailbox)

- UNC: Accepted - no funding

- UCLA: Under Review/Awaiting response

- Harvard: Rejected

- Georgia Tech: Accepted - awaiting financial information

- USC(Southern California): Accepted: Dean's Merit Full Tuition Scholarship

- Cornell: Accepted: TAship and 1/3rd tuition merit scholarship

With a full ride to USC, I don't know how much money I'd be willing to pay for anywhere else. Anyone know anything about the USC program in relation to the rest I listed above? 

I'm eagerly awaiting the MIT letter that has potential financial award information. Please, Mr. Postman... 

extra, I'm in the same position with regards to USC - full tuition from the Dean's Merit Scholarship. Don't know much about the school except that all the students I talked to seem happy enough. I also got into Cornell with the same funding and I'm waiting on UCLA. 

2 hours ago, thedonbas said:

extra, I'm in the same position with regards to USC - full tuition from the Dean's Merit Scholarship. Don't know much about the school except that all the students I talked to seem happy enough. I also got into Cornell with the same funding and I'm waiting on UCLA. 

Right on! Will you be at the open house for USC? 

To the poster who asked - I applied for the CDD group. I received my letter today with funding information. 

3 hours ago, extravaganzta said:

Right on! Will you be at the open house for USC? 

To the poster who asked - I applied for the CDD group. I received my letter today with funding information. 

Congrats! How's the funding result if you don't mind me asking?

Some updates on my end (I applied to waaaay too many programs) which might be helpful:

1. 1) National University of Singapore (Accepted 2-28) No financial aid
  2. 2) Hong Kong University (Under Review)
  3. 3) UT Austin (Accepted 2-18) No update on financial aid
  4. 4) Mcgill (Under Review)
  5. 5) Stockholm University (Under Review)
  6. 6) Texas A&M (Accepted 3-4) $1,000 + In-state tuition

Really bummed about Singapore. Would have been a wonderful experience, but 100k debt staring me in the face after all is said and done....

Accepted: Cornell, NYU, Michigan, UNC, Penn, and Virginia

Rejected: Harvard

Still awaiting decision: Columbia, MIT, and Berkeley

Is anyone else still waiting on MIT and Berkeley? Some people have received decisions for MIT over a week ago, and for Berkeley over three weeks ago. It's one thing to be rejected or waitlisted, but another to not receive a decision at all

Edited by mikecrophone

7 hours ago, mikecrophone said:

Accepted: Cornell, NYU, Michigan, UNC, Penn, and Virginia

Rejected: Harvard

Still awaiting decision: Columbia, MIT, and Berkeley

Is anyone else still waiting on MIT and Berkeley? Some people have received decisions for MIT over a week ago, and for Berkeley over three weeks ago. It's one thing to be rejected or waitlisted, but another to not receive a decision at all

I'm still waiting on MIT. I'm guessing it's just because my mail is very slow... 

2 hours ago, muellerm32 said:

Im on the MIT waitlist bucket - painful as it’s the only school I applied to. Applied to EPP

do people get off waitlist? 

Hey, would you mind sharing your background to EPP? Are you an international applicant? Thanks!

On 2/23/2019 at 7:12 AM, bra_996 said:

Hello everyone! Heres' my list so far

1. University of Calgary (Got accepted on Feb 21)
  2. University of Toronto (Under Review)
  3. Dalhousie University (Under Review)
  4. Queens University (Under Review)
  5. University of Alberta (Under Review)

Good luck everyone!

Man ug or pg ??

9 hours ago, CiaraMeow said:

I was accepted into UBC today! Still nothing from U of T, but UBC was my first choice. 

Congratulations! Yes, still waiting to hear back form U of T as well!

What kind of experience/background do you have?

5 hours ago, Heyin said:

Hey, would you mind sharing your background to EPP? Are you an international applicant? Thanks!

Im a domestic applicant. I’ve been working at an international non profit planning organization on urban resilience for 4 years, mostly on green infrastructure projects. I don’t have a technical background 

7 hours ago, artyperim said:

Congratulations! Yes, still waiting to hear back form U of T as well!

What kind of experience/background do you have?

Thank you! Honestly, not a lot of actual planning experience. I'm fairly shocked I was accepted. I have a competitive GPA (3.8 in the last 2 years) with an equally strong GPA in my major; I'm in an honours anthropology program and my thesis, which I wrote about for my statement of intent, is focused on food access and the built environment; I had three strong references who know me very well; and I did volunteer departmentally on an Indigenous remains repatriation project, on a graduate thesis about infant and child human remains and crime prosecution, and as a honours undergraduate departmental representative. Other than that, I worked throughout my degree and I'm well travelled. It's hard for me to know beyond my GPA, references, and my statement of intent what, if anything, they liked about my application. I absolutely felt/feel I lack(ed) concrete planning experience and relevant volunteer work. 

Edited by CiaraMeow
typo

So far I've been accepted to Georgia Tech, UNC Chapel Hill, University of Minnesota, Portland State, University of Michigan, and Rutgers. I'm still waiting to hear back from Hunter College. I haven't gotten any good financial aid offers, and not sure how to get those.

Is anyone planning on going to the Open House days for UNC, Georgia Tech, and/or University of Minnesota?

Hi all! 

I was accepted to UBC this afternoon! Still waiting to hear back from UofT and York, but UBC was my first choice so I'm absolutely ecstatic. Best of luck to everyone!

On 3/11/2019 at 7:25 PM, TurnerLN2019 said:

So far I've been accepted to Georgia Tech, UNC Chapel Hill, University of Minnesota, Portland State, University of Michigan, and Rutgers. I'm still waiting to hear back from Hunter College. I haven't gotten any good financial aid offers, and not sure how to get those.

Is anyone planning on going to the Open House days for UNC, Georgia Tech, and/or University of Minnesota?

Have you received any information regarding funding for Georgia Tech? 

2 hours ago, bra_996 said:

Just got accepted to Dalhousie today! Still waiting to hear news from Toronto, Queens and Alberta.

I'm still waiting for Dal, what was your application like?

Accepted:

• Columbia - no funding
  • Cornell - $15,000 tuition reduction + assistanceship
  • NYU - no funding
  • Michigan - full funding + $10,000 stipend
  • UNC - $5000 tuition reduction (in-state)
  • Penn - $30,000 tuition reduction + work study
  • UVA - $5000 tuition reduction

Rejected:

• Harvard
  • MIT

Waitlisted:

• Berkeley (asked to be removed)

Maybe you all can help. I have been losing sleep over making a decision. I did my undergrad in a college town and worked my way through school. Financially, Michigan, Cornell, and UNC all make the most sense, but I REALLY don't want to be in a college town again. Sporting events shutting down road ways, apartments rented by-the-bed. I've had my fill. I would love to be in a city, but Columbia, NYU, and Penn would all set me back tremendously. Any input would be valued.

Edited by mikecrophone

9 hours ago, mikecrophone said:

Maybe you all can help. I have been losing sleep over making a decision. I did my undergrad in a college town and worked my way through school. Financially, Michigan, Cornell, and UNC all make the most sense, but I REALLY don't want to be in a college town again. Sporting events shutting down road ways, apartments rented by-the-bed. I've had my fill. I would love to be in a city, but Columbia, NYU, and Penn would all set me back tremendously. Any input would be valued.

Hey Mike, 

My advice - don't go into debt to go to school in a city. If you are tired of being stuck in a college town, I'd vote for UNC -- you are super close to Raleigh-Durham, and you could theoretically commute to class each day (as you will be going against traffic). Also, $5k off of in-state tuition means you would be paying $6k per year for a top program? Meaning at most you would come out of debt with is 12k for a Masters? If so, that's a stellar deal, given that UNC is one of the best planning schools in the country. 

20 hours ago, planner2234 said:

Accepted to Columbia, rejected from Penn. surprised by that as I had a letter of rec from penn alumni and my undergraduate university has a great relationship with them. What’s everyone’s thoughts on Columbia?

I also got into Columbia but with no funding. Other forums I read said it's not worth the hefty price tag if you're taking out loans, but I'm curious about the overall experience as well.