Waitlist and Help Me Decide Thread 2019

imonfire98

9 hours ago, dancedementia said:

Everyone else has given you great advice so I don't have anything to add, but I just had to LOL at this. I've run into some bizarre interests of professors before but this takes the cake.

YEAH and what makes it worse is that he tried to ask me about super hero movies as small talk during the visit and I hated them even before I found his weird library

1 hour ago, ItPhBeLikeThatSometimes said:

YEAH and what makes it worse is that he tried to ask me about super hero movies as small talk during the visit and I hated them even before I found his weird library

? so weird that he has a Pinterest so easily linked to himself with that content. 

Okay, google sleuthing is my superpower and I found his trove. Oh my! He should really take his name off, lol

Edited by Psyhopeful

2 hours ago, ItPhBeLikeThatSometimes said:

I'm a sex researcher and even I have to say...that's cringe...

1 hour ago, Psyhopeful said:

? so weird that he has a Pinterest so easily linked to himself with that content. 

Okay, google sleuthing is my superpower and I found his trove. Oh my! He should really take his name off, lol

wait how did you even find out who it was??? I'm horrified rn

34 minutes ago, ItPhBeLikeThatSometimes said:

wait how did you even find out who it was??? I'm horrified rn

you did post your acceptances, so that narrowed down the programs. then you gave a description of the age of the professor and you posted that you are in devlopmental and used the pronoun 'he'. 

4 minutes ago, imonfire98 said:

you did post your acceptances, so that narrowed down the programs. then you gave a description of the age of the professor and you posted that you are in devlopmental and used the pronoun 'he'. 

What imonfire98 said.  Don’t worry, I would never post a name or any other identifiers! I’m just traveling all day and really good at google.

5 hours ago, imonfire98 said:

LOL you're right, I truly suck. Honestly though if he's gonna put it out there in public with his name on it that's on him...it's not like he can ever bring it up if he finds out I posted this

47 minutes ago, ItPhBeLikeThatSometimes said:

LOL you're right, I truly suck. Honestly though if he's gonna put it out there in public with his name on it that's on him...it's not like he can ever bring it up if he finds out I posted this

lol,, do you think professors read this site? i think they are really too busy for that

47 minutes ago, ItPhBeLikeThatSometimes said:

if you do become his student, you will eventually become friends with him and you can let him know. besides, there's no way of knowing that it is indeed him since he may have a namesake

Hey guys,

I was wondering if I could have some advice on the benefits/drawbacks of doing your PhD at the University that you completed your undergrad. I just got accepted into UTDallas Cog Neuro PhD program (yay) but I think I need some guidance on narrowing down my choices.

Right now I have some good waitlist opportunities that look promising, one of them is for my top choice. However, I can't decide if the other waitlist opportunity (UConn) would be better than my acceptance at UTDallas. 

I liked both programs a lot. However, the other school is super far away and I didn't mesh with the program as well as I did with UTDallas. 

However, I don't know if it is better to diversify and go somewhere new for my PhD? I wouldn't be thinking about this as much, but I feel bad holding a waitlist spot if I don't have to.

Thank ya kindly for your help

1 minute ago, hlr20 said:

Hey guys,

I was wondering if I could have some advice on the benefits/drawbacks of doing your PhD at the University that you completed your undergrad. I just got accepted into UTDallas Cog Neuro PhD program (yay) but I think I need some guidance on narrowing down my choices.

Right now I have some good waitlist opportunities that look promising, one of them is for my top choice. However, I can't decide if the other waitlist opportunity (UConn) would be better than my acceptance at UTDallas. 

I liked both programs a lot. However, the other school is super far away and I didn't mesh with the program as well as I did with UTDallas. 

However, I don't know if it is better to diversify and go somewhere new for my PhD? I wouldn't be thinking about this as much, but I feel bad holding a waitlist spot if I don't have to.

If you want to go into academy I will definitely look elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, hlr20 said:

Hey guys,

Depends--what are your long term career goals? If its academics, then they prefer that your undergrad + graduate training are from different institutions, in order to combat "academic inbreeding."

6 minutes ago, Mickey26 said:

Depends--what are your long term career goals? If its academics, then they prefer that your undergrad + graduate training are from different institutions, in order to combat "academic inbreeding."

18 minutes ago, hlr20 said:

Hey guys,

may be biased since I am likely attending my undergrad institution... so take this with a grain of salt, but I don’t think this is the case if you are applying for an academic position outside your alma mater. I know of multiple faculty members who attended the same institution for their graduate degree as their undergrad degree. I’d argue post-docs are an opportunity to diversify, and you’re going to have to do multiple post-docs anyways if you want an academic position. 

With that being said, it certainly is better in some ways for students to attend new institutions to get exposure to new researchers and labs as well as opportunities for a wider network. It’s just about what’s best for you as a student, and sometimes the best program for you is the same place you did your undergrad. I would just go with your gut and attend the place that you fit well with. You’ll do better quality research if you’re happy with where you are & interested in the research you’re doing, which will, in the long run, be what matters most IMO!

1 minute ago, chopper.wife said:

may be biased since I am likely attending my undergrad institution... so take this with a grain of salt, but I don’t think this is the case if you are applying for an academic position outside your alma mater. I know of multiple faculty members who attended the same institution for their graduate degree as their undergrad degree. I’d argue post-docs are an opportunity to diversify, and you’re going to have to do multiple post-docs anyways if you want an academic position. 

With that being said, it certainly is better in some ways for students to attend new institutions to get exposure to new researchers and labs as well as opportunities for a wider network. It’s just about what’s best for you as a student, and sometimes the best program for you is the same place you did your undergrad. I would just go with your gut and attend the place that you fit well with. You’ll do better quality research if you’re happy with where you are & interested in the research you’re doing, which will, in the long run, be what matters most IMO!

Oh totally! Post-doc is an excellent time to diversify :) @hlr20 I would discuss with your current mentors/supervisors what they think would be the best for you career-wise! Get their input on this if you haven't already.

20 minutes ago, imonfire98 said:

what is the hierarchy of how you make decisions using these factors:

funding, location, research fit, faculty personality fit, fit with grad students, beauty, gut feeling.

Gut feeling > location (but this was already made during applications when I only applied for schools in the three cities I wanted to live in, haha) > funding > POI fit > research fit > other students. Beauty is not really a consideration for me - some of my top schools have hideous af buildings and are smack dab in the middle of urban sprawl. That said, I did REALLY love the way Chestnut Hill College looked - it looks like a British boarding school, for lack of better words.

Edited by dancedementia

4 hours ago, imonfire98 said:

funding, location, research fit, faculty personality fit, fit with grad students, beauty, gut feeling.

funding > faculty personality fit > research fit > fit with grad students > location > beauty > gut feeling

I ranked research fit third just because that can be a pretty fluid thing. Of course it's super important ,but you may find a new avenue of research from collaboration with faculty/other students/just your personal academic growth in the span of 5-6 years.

And follow the $$$$$$; that needs to be priority numero uno, no questions asked. If you can't land a program that will waive tuition (or partially waive), you need to go above and beyond what paying for 4,5,6 years of graduate school means for your financial future.

And my gut feeling usually just depends on how hungry I am #Microbiome

5 hours ago, imonfire98 said:

I would say;

funding> productivity of the lab and the PI, and how happy are the students > faculty personality fit > research fit > specifics of the program (qualifying exam, offered courses etc) > weather > the rest

Hi,

I am hoping to get some advice/opinions on two clinical psychology PsyD programs that I'm trying to choose between. 

Option A: Midwestern University in Glendale, AZ. From what I've read, they seem to have a bit of a crappy reputation, which is worrisome. Their APA internship match rate is 88%, with a licensure rate of 85%. The school is in my ideal location, and I know that I'd be happy living there based on my hobbies/lifestyle/proximity to loved ones.

Option B: LaSalle University in Philadelphia, PA. I know that this school has a great reputation, isn't newer like Midwestern, has a match rate of 92%, and a licensure rate of 93%. There is no question that LaSalle would provide a better education than Midwestern would. I know that my quality of life would be a lot worse if I chose Philadelphia for numerous reasons (no access to lots of outdoorsy stuff, I don't like big cities like Philly, etc.)

Based on my financial situation, the two schools are equivalent in that regard so the tuition/funding don't play a role in my decision.

I'm unsure of how much weight to put on quality of life vs quality of education, and I'm also unsure if Midwestern is truly THAT bad if they have a match rate of 88%. I got a better feel from the environment at Midwestern, but besides that, I'm lost. Everything I've read here and on the Student Doctor Network seems to be in reference to the Downer's Grove campus, not the Glendale one.

2 hours ago, mjuniper42 said:

I am hoping to get some advice/opinions on two clinical psychology PsyD programs that I'm trying to choose between. 

I'm unsure of how much weight to put on quality of life vs quality of education, and I'm also unsure if Midwestern is truly THAT bad if they have a match rate of 88%. I got a better feel from the environment at Midwestern, but besides that, I'm lost. Everything I've read here and on the Student Doctor Network seems to be in reference to the Downer's Grove campus, not the Glendale one.

88% match is not bad at all, btw. Since you're doing a PsyD, I would think about the quality of the clinical experiences that you will get. Midwestern has a nice neuro focus and seems to focus on integrated and community work. One huge difference is that LaSalle is VERY CBT focused (the main reason I didn't apply there), so if that's not your thing, you might not feel super comfortable there. Philly obviously has more opportunities to collaborate with teaching hospitals because of all the major universities in the area (UPenn, Drexel, etc). Quality of life is important, but it is also worth it to remember that after your initial training, you can apply for internship, postdoc, and employment in a locale that works better for you. Spending 4 years for good training can lead to greater choice and opportunity post-graduation.

Edited by dancedementia

2 hours ago, mjuniper42 said:

Hi,

Option B: LaSalle University in Philadelphia, PA. I know that this school has a great reputation, isn't newer like Midwestern, has a match rate of 92%, and a licensure rate of 93%. There is no question that LaSalle would provide a better education than Midwestern would. I know that my quality of life would be a lot worse if I chose Philadelphia for numerous reasons (no access to lots of outdoorsy stuff, I don't like big cities like Philly, etc.)

Don't write off Philadelphia completely! I'm not sure exactly what "outdoorsy" things you're into, but Philly has beautiful parks and hiking trails, is within driving distance of the Poconos, and a train ride away from the beach. Philly also has more of a cozy, small town feel than larger cities like New York or Chicago. 

I'm in a similar situation (but opposite: I love northeastern cities and will probably go to school in a smaller town the deep south), so I get it, but if you think LaSalle offers a better education, it might be worth going into with an open mind.

Disclaimer: I'm a south Jersey native who did undergrad in philly, so I'm biased 

13 hours ago, mjuniper42 said:

Hi,

Option A: Midwestern University in Glendale, AZ. From what I've read, they seem to have a bit of a crappy reputation, which is worrisome. Their APA internship match rate is 88%, with a licensure rate of 85%. The school is in my ideal location, and I know that I'd be happy living there based on my hobbies/lifestyle/proximity to loved ones.

Based on my financial situation, the two schools are equivalent in that regard so the tuition/funding don't play a role in my decision.

I would explore more why you felt you got a better "feel" at Midwestern.  Fit is a big part of the process and going somewhere that you feel comfortable with faculty and the environment can make a huge difference in the education you receive.  Going with the best fit for YOU is what is most important. It sounds like both schools have great match rates and you have two excellent options to chose from !

13 hours ago, mjuniper42 said:

Hi,

I will be completely honest that I may be biased: I lived in Philly my whole life so far and have great love for the city!!! Feel free to PM me if you want to hear more about living in the area as you make your decision. I went to high school right next to LaSalle so I am very familiar with the area.

The area that LaSalle is located in is definitely more residential (and a lot more quiet compared to center city). Lots of opportunities to do outdoorsy stuff like the huge stretch of land/park by Kelly Drive, the trail by the Schuylkill, etc. There are also plenty of events going on in the city so if you ever want to get out and do something it's one train ride away. Commute is super convenient by public transportation.  

Help me decide: 

I need you guys to tell me I'm making the right decision. I've got 4 acceptances, but only 2 'real contenders' 

School A: 

• Going into it this was my top choice 100%.
  • Developmental Psychology Program
  • The research fit is 80% overlap so I've got a lot in common but I'm not just copying my PI.
  • I've got access to my very hard to come by population of interest. 
  • Location is perfect. Medium sized city, about 2hr flight from home. (I'm currently an 8hr flight from home). 
  • Downsides:
  • The PI is very inexperienced. I'd be their very first ever grad student. Ever. 
  • It's a strong program (R1) but most people go to a post-doc before becoming a professor. (I know that's common)

School B: 

• I didn't even consider this school before visiting/talking to the PI. 
  • HDFS program
  • The research fit is 60%, a decent overlap, but not as exciting as the other school. 
  • I've got access to my population of interest, but with adolescents not my ideal age group. 
  • The school has a mega emphasis on professional development. A lot of grant writing practice, certificate options in quant methods, a lecturing certificate, the ability to teach your own class, etc. (R1 university as well)
  • ~30% of graduates go immediately into a TT position. 
  • Two of the 5th year grad students I talked to said that they had multiple TT job offers and were able to be picky with which ones they selected. 
  • The PI is very experienced, but not 'old' or slowing down by any means. 
  • PI essentially said if I want publications/want to work for them, I'll get them. 
  • Downsides: 
  • I HATE the location. I think I will be miserable there. 
  • The university is located in a tiny town and there's nothing to do there, most people complain about how boring it is. Grad students say they hate living there. 
  • It's in a state that would still have me at an 8hr flight from home. 
  • Grad students have talked about being hyper-competitive and how they feel like they don't support each other. 

After all of this I'm still leaning towards school A, but I feel less confident in my career trajectory than before. I also feel like I will need to be more assertive with the PI and explicitly tell him what I need as far as mentoring goes. At the same time, I seriously don't think I'll thrive in the location of school B. The stipend is roughly the same for both schools when COL is accounted for. 

Edited by MichaelMonroe