Waitlist and Help Me Decide Thread 2019

imonfire98

17 hours ago, philopsych said:

I know nothing about Carbondale, but I'll just share an anecdote. I'm from one of the largest cities in the country. I did my undergrad in another of the largest cities in the country. When I did my 1st masters I went to a school in the middle of nowhere. The downtown was like one block and there were 4 non-fast food restaurants. I was terrified! I thought there was no way I could survive small town life. Here's the surprising thing: I loved it! I thought I needed all the amenities of big city life, but I really didn't. I still go back and visit (and eat at one of the 4 restaurants) from time to time. It is now one of my favorite places on Earth. So, moral of the story: I know it's scary, but you might love it! 

Nice! Similarly, the "scariest" thing I've heard from people about the small town I'm moving to is that I might actually end up falling in love with it ?

hi everyone, 

Just wanted to hear some people’s thoughts and opinions on my current situation.. So I interviewed at a program the first week of February, reached out to my POI a couple days after with a thank you email and also sent one to the my grad student host. This Friday will make it 5 weeks since my interview and I have heard NOTHING from the program. Would it look bad to reach out and ask about my status or should I continue to wait it out? This is literally taking years off my life I think. 

4 minutes ago, IChoseThePsychoPath said:

hi everyone, 

Just wanted to hear some people’s thoughts and opinions on my current situation.. So I interviewed at a program the first week of February, reached out to my POI a couple days after with a thank you email and also sent one to the my grad student host. This Friday will make it 5 weeks since my interview and I have heard NOTHING from the program. Would it look bad to reach out and ask about my status or should I continue to wait it out? This is literally taking years off my life I think. 

Have you seen posts for your progran on the results page? If not, they may not have sent out decisions yet. You can send a polite email to the admissions person (I wouldn't email the POI) asking if they can give you an update on your application status. 

9 hours ago, IChoseThePsychoPath said:

hi everyone, 

Reach out and inquire! Let them know you're still very much interested and that you'd appreciate an update on the status of your admission. I know at this stage many people are sending emails, but I think it's also fine to call the program assistant or coordinator if their number is on the website (might get a quicker response). Good luck!

I was waitlisted at my top program and they didn't give a ranking but said the waitlist is short and my chances of getting in were "quite strong." Of course I have no idea what that means, numbers wise, but it was reassuring to hear he thought the odds were good. It's just so stressful to have to keep up the waiting game! He said he thought for a few weeks but it could be as long as April 15th!! Anyways, just wanted to commiserate with people who understood the pain! 

A new development for me: I reached out to my POI at my top choice this morning, which I'm currently waitlisted for, and got a response that is equally stress- and hope-inducing. He was originally hoping to take two students for Fall 2019 but was only able to make one offer after interviews, which the person has accepted. He told me he's currently fighting for the funding to accept a second, which would be me. AHHH! *waiting intensifies* I swear this is taking years off my life.

I don't know if this has already been asked on this thread, but I was curious if schools/POIs tend to let you know if you are on the waitlist or not? I still haven't heard from my top choice and I am getting SO NERVOUS :( I have an acceptance with full funding from my second, but I was wondering about others' experiences with waitlist notifications

1 hour ago, notthatkindofpsychology said:

I don't know if this has already been asked on this thread, but I was curious if schools/POIs tend to let you know if you are on the waitlist or not? I still haven't heard from my top choice and I am getting SO NERVOUS :( I have an acceptance with full funding from my second, but I was wondering about others' experiences with waitlist notifications

I think it varies from program to program. Some have official waitlists where they notify people, others are internal and they don’t inform students until a decision is made. I’m waiting on one program that my POI explained works this way. The offers trickle out as they move down the list and wait for responses. I can only assume I’m near the bottom of the list since I haven’t gotten a rejection or any other response. I hope you hear soon. It seems like March 15th, which is one month before the commitment deadline, is the day a lot of places finally put people out of their misery with some info!

Edited by Psyhopeful

@notthatkindofpsychology I agree with what @Psyhopeful has said. The PI will update you if there is any information to share. They definitely won't just forget about making offers to potential graduate students. I want to add that the PI is likely also anxious about getting a student to accept their offer. Asking for an update will likely not be helpful for you, and it will also likely be stressful for the PI. 

Edited by PsychApplicantFall2019

Waitlisted at St. John's and City College. Feel free to reply or PM if you're planning on attending either one (would love to connect with possible future cohort and people making decisions about one or both schools) or if you're declining (would also love to know what my chances of acceptance are looking like). 

Good luck everyone!!! 

So I have heard nothing from one of the programs I applied to and yesterday marked a month since the interview.

Their website says that they make admissions offers early-mid March, but I haven’t heard anything in terms of being accepted, rejected, or waitlisted.

Could they just operate on an internal waitlist system similar to what you all were discussing above where they don’t tell candidates if they’ve been waitlisted? Should I politely email and inquire about my status? The POI did say he would be in touch after the interview and I know he is going to make his decision regardless of my email or not, but I just don’t know what I should do and it’s very anxiety inducing because the program is one of my top choices.

1 hour ago, sassyyetclassy said:

So I have heard nothing from one of the programs I applied to and yesterday marked a month since the interview.

Their website says that they make admissions offers early-mid March, but I haven’t heard anything in terms of being accepted, rejected, or waitlisted.

Could they just operate on an internal waitlist system similar to what you all were discussing above where they don’t tell candidates if they’ve been waitlisted? Should I politely email and inquire about my status? The POI did say he would be in touch after the interview and I know he is going to make his decision regardless of my email or not, but I just don’t know what I should do and it’s very anxiety inducing because the program is one of my top choices.

Yes just e-mail them

Really hope that someone out in this online community can give some guidance. Maybe writing this out will help me with my decision too - I don't want to hold two offers!!! If anyone has any suggestions/advice I greatly appreciated. Just to give some background, I would like to be a program with a good balance between research and clinical experience. 

• School A: generalist model, faculty match after you join the program
    • Pros:
      • There are 2 POIs that I can see myself wanting to work with (pretty good research fit), I have had steady contact with already 
      • On the east coast not too too far from my hometown and 15 min drive from a big city
      • Seems like decent opportunities for externships and conference presence
      • Students seem to like the clinical experience they get out of the program
    • Cons: 
      • Partial funding - looking at about 80k+ in loans
      • Not a heavy research emphasis, though it seems like it's what you make of it
      • Possibility that you won't get assigned to your first choice lab --- this REALLY concerns me
      • Did not get to see the psychological center that students get training at like most other schools, makes me concerned that I don't know what I am signing up for
      • There seems to be a lack of enthusiasm/support from the program for students, but this is just based on my 3 hour visit there 
  • School B: faculty match model from the start
    • Pros:
      • POI is very research oriented, which was what I sought for when I first applied
        • balances out with the clinical focus of the program
      • The sense of community on campus was stronger, seemed like more resources available to students (at least undergrad) 
      • DCT seemed to support students through and through and is very well organized 
      • Got to see the psychological center - seemed well equipped for training students/supervision
    • Cons:
      • Area of interest is not a super good fit
      • Partial funding - looking at about 90k+ in loans
        • Not a heavy research emphasis for the program overall, but PI is very research focused
      • Very high cost of living in the area, will likely need loans to cover cost of living
      • Not a convenient location to move to, transportation by car or train is going to be relatively difficult
      • Ranks lower than school A

Any thoughts? 

18 hours ago, Waiting272 said:

Really hope that someone out in this online community can give some guidance. Maybe writing this out will help me with my decision too - I don't want to hold two offers!!! If anyone has any suggestions/advice I greatly appreciated. Just to give some background, I would like to be a program with a good balance between research and clinical experience. 

• Pros:
      • There are 2 POIs that I can see myself wanting to work with (pretty good research fit), I have had steady contact with already 
      • On the east coast not too too far from my hometown and 15 min drive from a big city
    • Cons: 
      • Possibility that you won't get assigned to your first choice lab --- this REALLY concerns me
      • Did not get to see the psychological center that students get training at like most other schools, makes me concerned that I don't know what I am signing up for
      • There seems to be a lack of enthusiasm/support from the program for students, but this is just based on my 3 hour visit there 
    • Pros:
      • POI is very research oriented, which was what I sought for when I first applied
      • The sense of community on campus was stronger, seemed like more resources available to students (at least undergrad) 
      • Got to see the psychological center - seemed well equipped for training students/supervision
    • Cons:
        • Not a heavy research emphasis for the program overall, but PI is very research focused
      • Very high cost of living in the area, will likely need loans to cover cost of living
      • Not a convenient location to move to, transportation by car or train is going to be relatively difficult

Any thoughts? 

My only thought is that I'd be unwilling to go into that amount of debt for any clinical psychology program, tbh ? 

On 3/25/2019 at 5:12 PM, Waiting272 said:

• Pros:
    • Cons: 
    • Pros:
    • Cons:

Any thoughts? 

To be perfectly honest, have you thought about strengthening your app and reapplying next year? From the sound of it, you aren't thrilled with either program as a whole or the research fit of any faculty. The way you describe both seems like settling. I, personally, would consider the possibility of rejecting both offers and trying again next year for programs that have a better research fit. A year delay is better than 5 years feeling miserable or even "meh" about a program. 

50 minutes ago, PsyDGrad90 said:

To be perfectly honest, have you thought about strengthening your app and reapplying next year? From the sound of it, you aren't thrilled with either program as a whole or the research fit of any faculty. The way you describe both seems like settling. I, personally, would consider the possibility of rejecting both offers and trying again next year for programs that have a better research fit. A year delay is better than 5 years feeling miserable or even "meh" about a program. 

I agree, but mainly because if you apply again hopefully you can get a funded program. 80-90k in student loans is essentially debt for life. 

I'm currently debating between 2 clinical psych Ph.D. offers, however, the situation is a tad irregular and I'm having trouble weighing the pros and cons. 

Here's the deal: 

School 1) I've been offered a spot at a good program where I felt accepted as my genuine self, made a great connection with my POI, have the option to collaborate with another PI in my field, and have been nominated for a scholarship that would increase my stipend to a decent amount. It's a well-respected program, but the location is less than ideal and my POI is more of a junior person in the field. 

School 2) I was offered deferred admission (a spot in 2020's cohort) at a great program that's ranked much higher than School 1. The stipend is larger, I would not have to take out loans and would still be able to live comfortably within my means. The school is located in a major city and my POI is a very prominent member of the field. I've confirmed I could get the deferred offer in writing. The program is designed to be completed in 5 years. 

Also, I have a job in my field that is secure for the next year. 

Is this an easy decision and I'm just overcomplicating things? Halp ?

1 hour ago, whatdonow? said:

I'm currently debating between 2 clinical psych Ph.D. offers, however, the situation is a tad irregular and I'm having trouble weighing the pros and cons. 

Here's the deal: 

School 1) I've been offered a spot at a good program where I felt accepted as my genuine self, made a great connection with my POI, have the option to collaborate with another PI in my field, and have been nominated for a scholarship that would increase my stipend to a decent amount. It's a well-respected program, but the location is less than ideal and my POI is more of a junior person in the field. 

School 2) I was offered deferred admission (a spot in 2020's cohort) at a great program that's ranked much higher than School 1. The stipend is larger, I would not have to take out loans and would still be able to live comfortably within my means. The school is located in a major city and my POI is a very prominent member of the field. I've confirmed I could get the deferred offer in writing. The program is designed to be completed in 5 years. 

Also, I have a job in my field that is secure for the next year. 

Is this an easy decision and I'm just overcomplicating things? Halp ?

1. Will you also receive substantial funding from School 1, or will you need to take out any loans if you attend there?

2. For School 2, have you discussed how long your POI there is planning to stay at that institution? In the case that POI doesn't work out (he/she leaves the institution suddenly, you don't get along with them), are there any other professors in the program whose research area generally match with yours?

Edited by JoePianist