Jump to content
imonfire98

Waitlist and Help Me Decide Thread 2019

Recommended Posts

1) The stipend is on the lower end, but CoL is also relatively low. There’s a chance I’d need some financial assistance, but would definitely be on a tight budget either way. 

2) My POI has been at the same institution for the last 30 years or so, so their retirement is certainly possible, but I’ll make sure to follow up on this. I actually interviewed w one of their colleagues who is interested in a co-mentorship and my POI is the director of a research center where I’ll be working w other faculty in the field. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2019 at 7:31 PM, sassyyetclassy said:

Thank you for your words, it helps a lot!!

I think I’m just overthinking this situation too much and I should just be patient and see how it is and let myself be open to new experiences like everyone said 

Hey!

I received my undergrad degree in behavior analysis from SIU-C this past fall. I loved the community. If you have any more concerns, let me know! I'd love to tell you more about my personal experience :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, PsyDGrad90 said:

To be perfectly honest, have you thought about strengthening your app and reapplying next year? From the sound of it, you aren't thrilled with either program as a whole or the research fit of any faculty. The way you describe both seems like settling. I, personally, would consider the possibility of rejecting both offers and trying again next year for programs that have a better research fit. A year delay is better than 5 years feeling miserable or even "meh" about a program. 

 

13 hours ago, Psyhopeful said:

I agree, but mainly because if you apply again hopefully you can get a funded program. 80-90k in student loans is essentially debt for life. 

 

14 hours ago, PsyDGrad90 said:

To be perfectly honest, have you thought about strengthening your app and reapplying next year? From the sound of it, you aren't thrilled with either program as a whole or the research fit of any faculty. The way you describe both seems like settling. I, personally, would consider the possibility of rejecting both offers and trying again next year for programs that have a better research fit. A year delay is better than 5 years feeling miserable or even "meh" about a program. 

 

To all of the above, I totally agree. I do feel like I'm settling if I went for one of the two - my top choice did not end up getting funding this year and thus can't admit me. Pretty bummed about it knowing that it's so close but just not close enough. On the other hand, I don't know for sure whether I can strengthen my apps enough in time for the next cycle because of my current position/lab (not many opportunities to contribute to pubs/posters/etc). I can leave, start elsewhere for 2 years and come back to try again but I feel scared and hesitant to do that. 😕 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Waiting272 said:

 

 

 

To all of the above, I totally agree. I do feel like I'm settling if I went for one of the two - my top choice did not end up getting funding this year and thus can't admit me. Pretty bummed about it knowing that it's so close but just not close enough. On the other hand, I don't know for sure whether I can strengthen my apps enough in time for the next cycle because of my current position/lab (not many opportunities to contribute to pubs/posters/etc). I can leave, start elsewhere for 2 years and come back to try again but I feel scared and hesitant to do that. 😕 

I guess the bigger question is how do you feel about carrying all that debt as you try to build your life and particularly with the thought that maybe if you had just waited a year, you wouldn't be in those circumstances. Which is scarier to you? The lifelong debt or the time spent better preparing to apply again and not actually being in a program? It might not even be so much about improving everything as it is about choosing better programs, and specifically, only fully funded ones. You could spend this year better honing what it is you want to research, and finding people that are the perfect fit for that while working at the lab. You can also be upfront with your lab about wanting and needing to be more involved so that your applications look better, or look for another lab. This could be a (frustrating) blessing in disguise. I personally wouldn't take on debt at a place I already felt I was settling for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you respond to a POI that is putting a bit of pressure for you to make a decision, but you're still waiting to hear back from your top choice (on the waitlist)? Any advice would be appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, psychhealth101 said:

How do you respond to a POI that is putting a bit of pressure for you to make a decision, but you're still waiting to hear back from your top choice (on the waitlist)? Any advice would be appreciated!

Just tell them that while you understand their situation you have to make the best choice for yourself and you don't have all the information needed to make that choice yet.

 

If they pester you a lot that could maybe be a red flag about working with that POI. Just something to consider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, psychhealth101 said:

How do you respond to a POI that is putting a bit of pressure for you to make a decision, but you're still waiting to hear back from your top choice (on the waitlist)? Any advice would be appreciated!

I am in the exact same position right now (unsure if I'm on the waitlist at top choice). I have just continued to say that I am just as eager as the POI is for me to be able to make a decision and that they will be the first to know when I know and that I appreciate their patience while I gather all the info I need to make a decision

Edited by buckeyepsych

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Joegeo said:

Just tell them that while you understand their situation you have to make the best choice for yourself and you don't have all the information needed to make that choice yet.

 

If they pester you a lot that could maybe be a red flag about working with that POI. Just something to consider.

 

15 hours ago, buckeyepsych said:

I am in the exact same position right now (unsure if I'm on the waitlist at top choice). I have just continued to say that I am just as eager as the POI is for me to be able to make a decision and that they will be the first to know when I know and that I appreciate their patience while I gather all the info I need to make a decision

I agree with both of you... I also just wanted to say that I feel like it is exceedingly unfair for a POI to do this to you... you had to wait months in uncertainty about not only whether you would get an interview/offer/funding/etc., but also whether you would potentially have to uproot your life and move somewhere else...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

POI at Penn State emailed today that she tried everything she could but isn't able to get me off the waitlist. Nothing I could've done or wrong with me as a candidate, funding and resource issues out of her control. We're both very disappointed. Feeling a bit devastated as this was my top choice and POI had called me very excited the day after the interview. Sounded like an acceptance over the phone. Teaches me to get my hopes up 😕

Still have (some? I guess) hope of getting off UNC's waitlist. I have two solid options but still, just feel very disappointed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Panicking at the moment since the deadline to accept is fast approaching and I have not decided. I got into MAPSS at Chicago, QMSS at Columbia, and VIllanova's MS program. I'm working on getting additional funding from Villy and Chicago through conversions with the Dean. But, does anyone want to give their two cents about the programs. One Caveat, the QMSS program is very data science driven, but that is an aspect of social science research I want to apply to my own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, psychhealth101 said:

Anyone still waiting and hoping to get off the waitlist for their top choice? Very nerve-wrecking since we're just shy of 1 week away from the deadline. Best of luck to everyone!

Yes I feel you! Waitlisted for University of Nebraska-Lincoln, if you’re waitlisted too or holding an offer there let me know!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PsychGal said:

Yes I feel you! Waitlisted for University of Nebraska-Lincoln, if you’re waitlisted too or holding an offer there let me know!

No, I didn't apply there. But fingers crossed for both of us, and everyone else in the same boat!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've put this on here in bits and pieces before but I'm going to put the whole picture and see what people think.

6 weeks ago: You'll here back from us on day X. On day X, acceptances went out and I didn't hear anything. A few days later, rejections went out and I didn't hear anything.

3 weeks ago: you'll get a decision from us next week.

2 weeks ago: you'll hear from us soon.

 

What's going on? I think if I was rejected, they would have told me by now. I'm thinking I'm on some kind of waitlist (and of course my mom is convinced that it's a super secret acceptance haha). Any thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Might go crazy if I don't ask. 

Still on UC Irvine (Psychology & Social Behavior/Psychological Science) waitlist. 

Is anyone here have an offer they think they're declining?

Edited by Modulus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm new to psychology as a profession. With previous grad school applications, when I was on a watilist, it was perfectly acceptable to ask for updates about status and, often, schools would offer updates without me asking. From what people are saying here, this seems like it's different in psychology. As I'm sure you all can sympathize with, I'm getting really anxious as April 15th approaches. I would love to get an update on my chances, but that seem uncouth in this field. So, 1. am I right? 2. who else is currently at the mercy of one or more waitlists?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Help me decide! 

I've been accepted to PsyD programs at: Roosevelt University and Loyola University, Maryland. 

I think I'd like to focus on integrated health care and pediatrics. I don't know which program to choose! Price wise, both programs are similar. Outcome wise they're pretty similar too. I've looked at APA internship match rates, EPPP pass rates, etc etc. 

If you're familiar with these institutions beyond their online stats and have any thoughts, guidance, or advice to offer me, I'd really appreciate it. Especially if you're familiar with pediatrics, integrated health care, or how these programs are perceived within the field of psychology. Looking for some insider perspective! Thank you in advance! 

Additional info: Loyola has their own clinic that you're placed in for your first two years, providing you with two years of generalist training before you apply to external practicum. Roosevelt does not have their own clinic. Students apply to external placements from year 1. This is more work for students but does seem to allow students the ability to 'specialize' early on. So, does going to a program with their own clinic hurt or help? If you have any advice on this issue in particular, that would be fantastic. I already know I'd like to go into integrated healthcare.  Furthermore, Roosevelt appears to place a bit more emphasis on participating in research. I think this is important for internship placement. However, Roosevelt's tuition is based on units (not a flat fee like Loyola) AND their tuition rates are subject to change every year, making estimating yearly costs a bit complicated and even unpredictable. I am concerned but accruing unexpected costs due a unit based tuition system. Any thoughts would be helpful! Thank you in advance!

Edited by PsychGo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, philopsych said:

I'm new to psychology as a profession. With previous grad school applications, when I was on a watilist, it was perfectly acceptable to ask for updates about status and, often, schools would offer updates without me asking. From what people are saying here, this seems like it's different in psychology. As I'm sure you all can sympathize with, I'm getting really anxious as April 15th approaches. I would love to get an update on my chances, but that seem uncouth in this field. So, 1. am I right? 2. who else is currently at the mercy of one or more waitlists?

I am kinda on the "pro-email professors about waitlist" side of this argument. If you are close to making a decision, you may email a professor and ask where you are on the waitlist and your chances at this point in getting in. If they don't know, at least you asked. I don't think they really take offense to that unless you are annoyingly persistent. I wouldn't ask anything to the effect of, "when will I hear back.." and such because they can't really give an answer there. It is all dependent on another applicant holding the spot. 

Hope you hear back positive news, and good luck to everyone making decisions this next week!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone!

I applied to one program, Marymount University Forensic & Legal Psychology Program (M.A.)! I was told on February 25th that I got waitlisted! I emailed the school for more information on my status right after receiving the news and they told me there are about 40-50 people on the waitlist and that I am in the top third! (Side note: they said they get around 200 applicants every year and accept around 90 people). The program had a deadline for a deposit (to save your spot) for accepted students on March 15th. I was really hoping to hear something around those days, hoping that enough people didn't pay for their spot in order for them to offer me admission. I attended their open house and their program specific welcome event (waitlisted students were invited too). What should I do next? Should I wait until after April 15th to email them to see if my rank has changed at all, in hopes that someone who paid for their spot got accepted somewhere else and decided to decline the program? 

So anxious!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is everything completely decided at this point? One possibility I thought of was that, depending on the time people turned down offers yesterday, there might be some waitlist movement today. I emailed the program where I'm waitlisted and I haven't heard back. I'm just wondering if there's absolutely 0% chance I'll get in now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, philopsych said:

Is everything completely decided at this point? One possibility I thought of was that, depending on the time people turned down offers yesterday, there might be some waitlist movement today. I emailed the program where I'm waitlisted and I haven't heard back. I'm just wondering if there's absolutely 0% chance I'll get in now.

I emailed my school today hoping for some good news and they replied quickly that as of now their class is full, now we’ll just see if someone backs out from now till August 😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2019 at 2:42 PM, philopsych said:

Is everything completely decided at this point? One possibility I thought of was that, depending on the time people turned down offers yesterday, there might be some waitlist movement today. I emailed the program where I'm waitlisted and I haven't heard back. I'm just wondering if there's absolutely 0% chance I'll get in now.

Well, the school says I'm still waitlisted and I should hear a decision "soon." Obviously, I'm super grateful that the opportunity is still live, but I have been on edge since submitting in November. I look forward to some certainty in my life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone. I'm considering emailing the director of my program because I haven't heard anything back about the waitlist and my position. I really just need clarity and peace in what is supposed to happen. I want to be prepared and am not sure if I should go ahead and start applying to jobs as alternative plans. Does anyone have any advice on how to word my email? I still want to come across as professional, interested, and patient. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.