Jump to content

For those of us who haven't heard yet...


Recommended Posts

Hi everyone, I was notified 2 weeks ago by the PhD program director about being waitlisted (it was a "will keep you posted" type of email). I still replied expressing my interest to remain on the waitlist and the director replied noting my interest. Earlier today, I followed up again asking if there has been an update, and the director right away in a few minutes responded. The email started off with, "At this point in time, our PhD acceptances have exceeded our quote for the 2019-2020 year and we are full..." but ended with "I can keep you on the waitlist, as you never know what may happen, but I thought I'd honestly let you know where things stand." I've replied that I would like to remain on the waitlist and asked what esle I can improve on. The director said, "Will do. I think it was just that the other averages were higher. It all depends on the competition." Do you think there is still a chance? I didn't get any official letter on the application portal. I know some people won't hear back until end of March/early April.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just to update, shortly after I posted, I GOT ACCEPTED!

I'm planning to make an academia to english dictionary: Mid februay - From January till April Several times in February: Like one time an then dead silent for months Early March - LOL N

It's the 22nd there is not one soul on this blue earth that would say this is still mid-February

5 minutes ago, JTspruell said:

I still in the waiting boat as well for the Master's programs I applied to. I haven't been outright rejected, waitlisted, or accepted yet so the suspense slowly grates on me everyday. Although one of the PI's from Northern Arizona that I emailed in early January finally replied last Friday. He replied with: 

"I’m sorry for my delayed response to your email, I’m going through applications now for our incoming MS class and wanted to see if a) you are still considering NAU and b) to discuss your research interests more. My research is focused on using geophysics (primarily seismology) to understand tectonic processes in the earth, focusing primarily on the north and south American Cordillera. I know your interest is in structure, tectonics, and geomorphology and I wanted to see more specifically what types of research projects you would be interested in."

So we emailed back a forth a bit about he told me about his funded projects and current research. His last email finished off with stating:

"We’re still figuring out admissions decisions but should know in the next couple of weeks"

Hopefully this is a good sign, but I have definitely been applying to jobs as a back-up plan. 

 

Applied:  Northern Arizona University, Western Washington University, Arizona State University

Rejected: 0/3  Waitlisted: 0/3  Accepted: 0/3  Attending: TBD

Yep, that's a good sign.  Piece of advice though: in the future, if a professor ever wants to ask you questions, request it be done on SKYPE.  A skype interview will really set you apart and it allows you a chance dress up, be polite and show good etiquette, etc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, gradschoolprobs said:

Thanks again for your insight. Could it be that I've annoyed them? I don't understand why I didn't make it because of just grades :(

No one really knows what goes into decisions.  But the majority of the reason is pure, unadulterated luck.  It seems the director doesn't really know either, but he seems to suggest from his email that your numbers just wasn't as good as everyone else.  I suggest you work on your SOP, because you must not have given them good enough reason to overlook your grades or credentials. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Ternwild said:

Then email them and tell them you're currently considering another offer and was wondering when you'd hear back.  Tell them you'd like to know what are you chances and when you'll hear back as you'd prefer to go to their program, but need to know whether you need to consider the other offers serious, soon. 

And then, in the background, take your other offers serious.

Going to do that after Spring Break! Thanks for the advice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ternwild said:

No one really knows what goes into decisions.  But the majority of the reason is pure, unadulterated luck.  It seems the director doesn't really know either, but he seems to suggest from his email that your numbers just wasn't as good as everyone else.  I suggest you work on your SOP, because you must not have given them good enough reason to overlook your grades or credentials. 

Thank you! I'll try that out if I am officially out of the game after this summer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gradschoolprobs said:

Thanks again for your insight. Could it be that I've annoyed them? I don't understand why I didn't make it because of just grades :(

No, I don’t think you’ve annoyed them. It sounds more like they don’t want to give you any false hope. But if you really want to stay on the waitlist on the off chance that several people turn down their acceptances and there aren’t many others ahead of you on the list already, they aren’t going to dissuade you from doing that either. The fact that they accepted more people than their quota and the likely possibility that you’re not the first person on the waitlist both go against you. I’m sorry, but I agree with Ternwild that they were politely letting you know that they don’t think you’ll get in. :(

I hope you do well next year or on your other applications though. Good luck!

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's March 15, business hours are almost over, and I still haven't heard from 4/7 of school I applied to (the other 3 were rejections). I interviewed for the Cog Psych PhD program at Pitt and their site says they'll get back with decisions by March 15th, today. But still, nothing. And the other 3 schools haven't got back either. I'll probably email each school on Monday if I don't hear back today, but I'm very nervous. I've started looking for lab jobs in case I don't get into the PhD programs of my choice - but I'd really like to get in, and this silence from my top choice is not helping the situation 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, piexe said:

It's March 15, business hours are almost over, and I still haven't heard from 4/7 of school I applied to (the other 3 were rejections). I interviewed for the Cog Psych PhD program at Pitt and their site says they'll get back with decisions by March 15th, today. But still, nothing. And the other 3 schools haven't got back either. I'll probably email each school on Monday if I don't hear back today, but I'm very nervous. I've started looking for lab jobs in case I don't get into the PhD programs of my choice - but I'd really like to get in, and this silence from my top choice is not helping the situation 

I can’t believe it’s been another week without hearing. I’m set on emailing Monday as well. It’s probably a good idea to start looking at those lab jobs — at the very least you’ll gain experience applying and potentially interviewing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2019 at 12:51 PM, JTspruell said:

I still in the waiting boat as well for the Master's programs I applied to. I haven't been outright rejected, waitlisted, or accepted yet so the suspense slowly grates on me everyday. Although one of the PI's from Northern Arizona that I emailed in early January finally replied last Friday. He replied with: 

"I’m sorry for my delayed response to your email, I’m going through applications now for our incoming MS class and wanted to see if a) you are still considering NAU and b) to discuss your research interests more. My research is focused on using geophysics (primarily seismology) to understand tectonic processes in the earth, focusing primarily on the north and south American Cordillera. I know your interest is in structure, tectonics, and geomorphology and I wanted to see more specifically what types of research projects you would be interested in."

So we emailed back a forth a bit about he told me about his funded projects and current research. His last email finished off with stating:

"We’re still figuring out admissions decisions but should know in the next couple of weeks"

Hopefully this is a good sign, but I have definitely been applying to jobs as a back-up plan. 

 

Applied:  Northern Arizona University, Western Washington University, Arizona State University

Rejected: 0/3  Waitlisted: 0/3  Accepted: 0/3  Attending: TBD

I contacted the geology dept at Western and they said they’re just trying to figure out TA stuff at this point. We should hear soon!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2019 at 11:54 AM, piexe said:

I've started looking for lab jobs in case I don't get into the PhD programs of my choice - but I'd really like to get in, and this silence from my top choice is not helping the situation 

It is good that you're preparing for a rejection.  I would consider hiring a professional resume writer.  When I didn't go to a PhD program in F17, I was unemployed for 7 months because I just couldn't get an interview.  I hired a resume writer and got a job offer a few weeks later.  It wasn't cheap, but my income more then made up for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone, I was accepted in CS department without funding in mid february. Later, a professor from Informatics department reached out to me and asked me, if I would be interested in research opportunity. I had an interview following that, which went pretty well and said she would talk to the department. It’s been a week since then. Moreover, I have admit from another school , where I have to decide before april 15th. Do you think I should send an email and ask or just wait?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2019 at 1:04 AM, retroo786 said:

Hi everyone, I was accepted in CS department without funding in mid february. Later, a professor from Informatics department reached out to me and asked me, if I would be interested in research opportunity. I had an interview following that, which went pretty well and said she would talk to the department. It’s been a week since then. Moreover, I have admit from another school , where I have to decide before april 15th. Do you think I should send an email and ask or just wait?

 

Keep in mind that admissions committees move on a different timeline from us mere mortals. A week for us is like a day for them. That said, there's nothing wrong with sending a quick, polite email. Remember to thank them for the opportunity to interview.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2019 at 7:16 PM, MinDZ said:

I can’t believe it’s been another week without hearing. I’m set on emailing Monday as well. It’s probably a good idea to start looking at those lab jobs — at the very least you’ll gain experience applying and potentially interviewing. 

I’m sending out emails this week. I supposed a lab job wouldn’t be awful but I’m just afraid of being in limbo for year after year. Good luck on your applications and emails! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I finally received a response from one of my programs. I was accepted into the MS Geology program at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff with full funding.  This was such a huge weight lifted off my shoulders.

Applied:  Northern Arizona University, Western Washington, Arizona State University

Rejected: 0/3  Waitlisted: 0/3  Accepted: 1/3  Attending: Northern Arizona University

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

While you are waiting to hear back. Have you considered looking into schools accepting second round (late) applications. Many schools such as Washington State University and North Dakota State University will post graduate student positions they haven't been able to fill to APA message boards and on their websites. These are often good positions  with funding that did not meet the right applicant, specifically someone interested in the PI's research area, during the first round of applications. If you are broke from your previous applications, I would still contact the PI you are interested in and ask for an application fee waiver. Sometimes they will find a way to help you if you seem like a good enough fit.

Best of luck going forward!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am from the overseas, i applied to UMAINE for Biomedical sciences-PHD back in December for fall 2019. Haven't heard anything till now. In the portal it says "Under review". Is it a good idea to email them and ask about my status? Should i wait out? . 

 P.S. is there anyone who has applied and received the decision for the course mentioned?. Please do let me know.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.