Jump to content
princess_slp

Worried, worried, worried. Has anyone heard from these schools?

Recommended Posts

Has anyone heard from Lamar University, the university of Texas rio Grande Valley, or Kingsville for Fall 2019?

I’m so anxious and worried about not getting in anywhere! Someone please help ease my nerves 😭  I just want know if they’ve started sending interview invitations or acceptances already. Any opinions on whether I have a shot or not? 

Cumalitive GPA: 3.4 Major GPA: 3.4 GRE: average! I’m bilingual (spanish and English) with lots of research experience. 

 

Edited by princess_slp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only applied to three schools?? You brave brave soul!! Are you local to Texas? Any particular reason you’re only applying to those schools?

I didn’t apply to any of those but did apply to UTEP, which asked for a video answering a prompt last week, so can’t imagine other schools waiting much longer for invitations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hiimkhanh said:

Only applied to three schools?? You brave brave soul!! Are you local to Texas? Any particular reason you’re only applying to those schools?

I didn’t apply to any of those but did apply to UTEP, which asked for a video answering a prompt last week, so can’t imagine other schools waiting much longer for invitations. 

Yes I’m a local to Texas. I was told that it would be a waste to apply to more than that. I’m getting a feeling now that I should’ve applied to more! Thank you for your reply! I think I’m just getting really impatient! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, princess_slp said:

Yes I’m a local to Texas. I was told that it would be a waste to apply to more than that. I’m getting a feeling now that I should’ve applied to more! Thank you for your reply! I think I’m just getting really impatient! 

 

I think it really depends on your situation whether or not you should apply to a bunch. I'm bilingual too and only applied to one school---the one down the street from my house. I've been accepted so it is totally possible!! I have heard that bilingual candidates sometimes have an edge on others because we're pretty uncommon in the field

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I applied to Kingsville before their (original) January deadline but they changed their deadline to MARCH. So now I'm terrified they wont be sending anything until April or later. I'm honestly not sure what they're doing and its stressing me out! You have a higher gpa than me and my GRE scores were average too- I'm sure you'll be fine!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, princess_slp said:

Has anyone heard from Lamar University, the university of Texas rio Grande Valley, or Kingsville for Fall 2019?

I’m so anxious and worried about not getting in anywhere! Someone please help ease my nerves 😭  I just want know if they’ve started sending interview invitations or acceptances already. Any opinions on whether I have a shot or not? 

Cumalitive GPA: 3.4 Major GPA: 3.4 GRE: average! I’m bilingual (spanish and English) with lots of research experience. 

 

According to EdFind, all three of those schools accept slightly lower GRE scores (<300 average) and their GPA ranges are from 3.0 or 3.1 to 3.9 or 4.0. Your well with in those GPA ranges so you probably have a decent shot. Being bilingual seems like a big plus. I know where you're coming from though. I'm trying not to worry until I see the school show up on the results page though! Good luck to you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 2/21/2019 at 4:51 PM, hiimkhanh said:

Only applied to three schools?? You brave brave soul!! Are you local to Texas? Any particular reason you’re only applying to those schools?

I didn’t apply to any of those but did apply to UTEP, which asked for a video answering a prompt last week, so can’t imagine other schools waiting much longer for invitations. 

Hey! did you get into UTEP? I had my video Interview as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2019 at 1:48 PM, princess_slp said:

Has anyone heard from Lamar University, the university of Texas rio Grande Valley, or Kingsville for Fall 2019?

I’m so anxious and worried about not getting in anywhere! Someone please help ease my nerves 😭  I just want know if they’ve started sending interview invitations or acceptances already. Any opinions on whether I have a shot or not? 

Cumalitive GPA: 3.4 Major GPA: 3.4 GRE: average! I’m bilingual (spanish and English) with lots of research experience. 

 

Have you had any luck?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2019 at 5:15 PM, SpeechNOLA said:

I think it really depends on your situation whether or not you should apply to a bunch. I'm bilingual too and only applied to one school---the one down the street from my house. I've been accepted so it is totally possible!! I have heard that bilingual candidates sometimes have an edge on others because we're pretty uncommon in the field

yup i applied to one school too and got in. they focus on multicultural populations which is right up my alley. if you have the stats, good references, pray about it and write a bomb essay and good experience  you have a good chance ( and i didnt have the best gpa)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also waiting to hear from these schools! I saw that some people received phone calls from UTRGV and Kingsville this past week. Any updates for you? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2019 at 11:19 PM, SLPtrying said:

I applied to Kingsville before their (original) January deadline but they changed their deadline to MARCH. So now I'm terrified they wont be sending anything until April or later. I'm honestly not sure what they're doing and its stressing me out! You have a higher gpa than me and my GRE scores were average too- I'm sure you'll be fine!

Hi! I was wondering if you ever ended up hearing from Kingsville? I applied before their original deadline too and never heard anything which I guess means I’m waitlisted or about to be rejected since April 15th is right around the corner. I’m asking because I saw someone post in the results page recently they applied for the March deadline and heard back relatively quick that they were accepted. At this point I just want to know their decision since it’s about to be 3 months and the way they went about this leaves a bad taste in my mouth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VS-SLP2B said:

Hi! I was wondering if you ever ended up hearing from Kingsville? I applied before their original deadline too and never heard anything which I guess means I’m waitlisted or about to be rejected since April 15th is right around the corner. I’m asking because I saw someone post in the results page recently they applied for the March deadline and heard back relatively quick that they were accepted. At this point I just want to know their decision since it’s about to be 3 months and the way they went about this leaves a bad taste in my mouth. 

Hey, I was accepted last month but I saw someone saying on the results page (I believe) that they accepted one group of people and are waiting for our April 15th deadline to respond before accepting the next round of students! So dont lose hope yet!! 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kjack99 said:

Hey, I was accepted last month but I saw someone saying on the results page (I believe) that they accepted one group of people and are waiting for our April 15th deadline to respond before accepting the next round of students! So dont lose hope yet!! 🙂

Yes, I saw that as well. My issue is with how they went about everything. I’m trying not to sound petty so I won’t go into detail but I think they could’ve been more organized and structured with one set deadline as well as actually notifying applicants of a waitlist status. I’m sure many other schools do it too but for those of us waiting it’s frustrating. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with that! I'm in the same boat you're in waiting for Texas state to just reject or waitlist me or something because I know they accepted some people already. But yeah I didn't like that they extended the deadline at the end after many of us worked to meet that original deadline

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VS-SLP2B said:

Yes, I saw that as well. My issue is with how they went about everything. I’m trying not to sound petty so I won’t go into detail but I think they could’ve been more organized and structured with one set deadline as well as actually notifying applicants of a waitlist status. I’m sure many other schools do it too but for those of us waiting it’s frustrating. 

Was it them extending the deadline at TAMUK that upset you or something else as well? I am strongly considering this school and was actually the person that just got accepted last week. (I am probably in the minority that is grateful for the extension, of course because it helped me as I was only able to start up applications in March.) I thought it was semi-standard for some schools to not give a second wave of acceptances until after April 15th. As far as waitlist/rejections go, I think there may be concerns with the school about not being sure how many people to put on the waitlist. If you look back in the results page, it looks like several times people were rejected and then later received a call with an acceptance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2019 at 5:41 PM, slplo said:

Was it them extending the deadline at TAMUK that upset you or something else as well? I am strongly considering this school and was actually the person that just got accepted last week. (I am probably in the minority that is grateful for the extension, of course because it helped me as I was only able to start up applications in March.) I thought it was semi-standard for some schools to not give a second wave of acceptances until after April 15th. As far as waitlist/rejections go, I think there may be concerns with the school about not being sure how many people to put on the waitlist. If you look back in the results page, it looks like several times people were rejected and then later received a call with an acceptance. 

It’s a frustration with the extended deadline as well as waiting 3 months for any type of answer. (I called just to confirm my status is still out to department) As the user above mentioned I worked hard to make that original deadline and they extended it after the fact. And you’re right had I been in the same position as you I would’ve been glad the deadline was extended. And yes right again with a second wave of acceptances after the 15th as well as some being rejected then later accepted but I think they can be more organzied about all of it. Congratulations on your acceptance though 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2019 at 10:54 AM, VS-SLP2B said:

Hi! I was wondering if you ever ended up hearing from Kingsville? I applied before their original deadline too and never heard anything which I guess means I’m waitlisted or about to be rejected since April 15th is right around the corner. I’m asking because I saw someone post in the results page recently they applied for the March deadline and heard back relatively quick that they were accepted. At this point I just want to know their decision since it’s about to be 3 months and the way they went about this leaves a bad taste in my mouth

HI! Whoops just now seeing this, sorry! Yes, I heard from Kingsville! I received a call in mid April to let me know that I had been accepted.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, SLPtrying said:

HI! Whoops just now seeing this, sorry! Yes, I heard from Kingsville! I received a call in mid April to let me know that I had been accepted.  

Haha no worries! Congrats on your acceptance! Their cohort is full for fall though...guess it wasn’t meant to be for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.