hammyc

UCSD GPS 2019

Question for those that also received full funding from UCSD, did your financial award letter reflect this? I received an email a few weeks ago notifying me of full funding + stipend but on the letter I received yesterday it only states that I have been given California tuition fees. Does money to cover the rest of it come from another source? Did they make a mistake in either of the emails? Curious to hear from others @Ajb415 @hammyc @TheSAfiltercoffee

Edited by Thirteen

1 hour ago, Thirteen said:

Question for those that also received full funding from UCSD, did your financial award letter reflect this? I received an email a few weeks ago notifying me of full funding + stipend but on the letter I received yesterday it only states that I have been given California tuition fees. Does money to cover the rest of it come from another source? Did they make a mistake in either of the emails? Curious to hear from others @Ajb415 @hammyc @TheSAfiltercoffee

I was also offered full funding, and my official letter correctly stated one year of non resident tuition and fees and one year of resident tuition and fees. Maybe worth emailing the GPS admission office about it? Sounds like they must have made a mistake in your letter.  

2 hours ago, Thirteen said:

I also received two years of in-state tuition and fees, but I am an out-of-state applicant. I would email them for clarification. I would but I'm most likely declining the offer. Good luck!

9 hours ago, MidnightSkywalker said:

Gahhhhh I just checked my email, and the funding info came. NO FUNDING at all! Really disappointing :( I am going to try to negotiate it with the program director, but I really like GPS.... I'll have to go to Chicago then. Anyone received the no funding email and trying to get some more money from the department? 

Same here. A real hit in the gut. The thought of no funding really makes decisions harder for me. I'll try to reach out to at least see if I can find out why I got absolutely no funding

Edited by lafcfan

21 hours ago, lafcfan said:

Same here. A real hit in the gut. The thought of no funding really makes decisions harder for me. I'll try to reach out to at least see if I can find out why I got absolutely no funding

I am going to do the same thing, but it really makes me sad :( 

Hi everyone, I also received the "nominated for admission"  message on 27th, Feb. But still not receiving the official admit letter from Graduate Division...

I am wondering if anyone still is still waiting for the final decision? And could I regard "nominated" as "admission" now?

I feel really nervous every day:unsure:Thank you!! 

7 hours ago, imyourskx said:

Hi everyone, I also received the "nominated for admission"  message on 27th, Feb. But still not receiving the official admit letter from Graduate Division...

I am wondering if anyone still is still waiting for the final decision? And could I regard "nominated" as "admission" now?

I feel really nervous every day:unsure:Thank you!! 

Just received the official letter this afternoon!(About 0 :00 AM PST)

Thanks again.

On 3/21/2019 at 8:43 PM, Thirteen said:

I found the wording in the email a bit confusing too so I emailed the Admissions Director.She said that it covers just the tuition (international students tuition and school fees) + health insurance. I didn't get any stipend. 

6 hours ago, TheSAfiltercoffee said:

I found the wording in the email a bit confusing too so I emailed the Admissions Director.She said that it covers just the tuition (international students tuition and school fees) + health insurance. I didn't get any stipend. 

Yeah the wording wasn't clear in the award letter but I also reached out and confirmed the full funding offer still stood. Thanks for the reply.

16 hours ago, Thirteen said:

Yeah the wording wasn't clear in the award letter but I also reached out and confirmed the full funding offer still stood. Thanks for the reply.

You're welcome! Are you planning to take it?

On 4/3/2019 at 3:39 AM, TheSAfiltercoffee said:

You're welcome! Are you planning to take it?

Yup, I really don't think any of these degrees are worth going into significant debt for so I will be taking a paycheck to get my MA. Maybe see you in CA in a few months!

On 3/21/2019 at 7:12 AM, MidnightSkywalker said:

Gahhhhh I just checked my email, and the funding info came. NO FUNDING at all! Really disappointing :( I am going to try to negotiate it with the program director, but I really like GPS.... I'll have to go to Chicago then. Anyone received the no funding email and trying to get some more money from the department? 

I only got funding from UW (that email from UCSD hit me in the gut too... plus requiring Econ summer class despite being an Econ minor haha). 

I am visiting next week UCSD so I might bring it up but I already contrived to UW (better area studies, my interests align better with the faculty, and so forth). 

I know it's disappointing but Chicago is great too! Maybe we can try again as PhD candidates for UCSD? 

15 hours ago, Tako said:

I only got funding from UW (that email from UCSD hit me in the gut too... plus requiring Econ summer class despite being an Econ minor haha). 

I am visiting next week UCSD so I might bring it up but I already contrived to UW (better area studies, my interests align better with the faculty, and so forth). 

I know it's disappointing but Chicago is great too! Maybe we can try again as PhD candidates for UCSD? 

I am kinda leaning towards Chicago too. It's a great school, and I wish spending one year there might open up some new research opportunities and pave my path to good Ph.D. programs! I wish we could study together at UCSD in their Ph.D. program :) Best of luck to you!

On 4/4/2019 at 9:34 PM, Thirteen said:

Yup, I really don't think any of these degrees are worth going into significant debt for so I will be taking a paycheck to get my MA. Maybe see you in CA in a few months!

Hope to see you there! :)