Duke Sanford 2019

Just heard back from Duke. I'm in with 16,000 + a TA Spot that I believe would be worth 8,000 over two years but I need to double check that. This is the first school I heard back from so I"m super thrilled! Good luck to everyone else!

I just heard back too and I was accepted with 24k and a TA position. @Guesswho From what my letter says, it looks like the offer will be extended to the second year conditional on academic performance. My letter says the second year would also be for $4000, so, unless I am misreading something, I assume you are correct with the $8k total across the two years.

Congrats everyone!!! I also got a 24K per yr tuition and 4K per year assistantship. This is the first school from which I've heard about funding so I am very excited. Does anyone know what yearly tuition is there?

Edited by usernamesmakemeanxious

Finally got access to the portal and PHEW I AM IN! Also offered a $24K/year tuition fellowship which I was not expecting so very excited!  

Now just need to hear back from Ford and then will be able to make a decision. Woo woo! 

In my excitement it appears that I misread the funding amount at 16k total when it was 16k per year which brings me up to 40k with the TA/Research gig. Best reading comprehension gaff I've had in my life. I suppose I'll be seeing some of you at the open house in April.

3 hours ago, usernamesmakemeanxious said:

Congrats everyone!!! I also got a 24K per yr tuition and 4K per year assistantship. This is the first school from which I've heard about funding so I am very excited. Does anyone know what yearly tuition is there?

@usernamesmakemeanxious      Based off of this page https://sanford.duke.edu/admissions/master-public-policy/cost-attendance it appeared to be about 94,000 last year. So I'm assuming it'll go up to somewhere around 95-96k for next year. 

1 hour ago, Guesswho said:

@usernamesmakemeanxious      Based off of this page https://sanford.duke.edu/admissions/master-public-policy/cost-attendance it appeared to be about 94,000 last year. So I'm assuming it'll go up to somewhere around 95-96k for next year. 

It has the yearly costs at around 73 with housing and such

7 hours ago, lolo94 said:

Also in with 36K and 4K assistantship. I received similar packages from Harris and Heinz with slightly less from McCourt -- so now I'm even more lost about what I should do. 

Hiii, congrats on the offers!! I just got waitlisted from Duke, if you decided not to attend Sanford, I am wondering if there is an chance to talk to you for a refer. Been really anxious for quite a while. 

Got admitted too, but it seemed that I am the one with the lowest funding (5k per year). I am from China and had no work experience. The tuition is still a bit high for me. I don't know if it is hard to get assistantships in Duke, though the letter of offer mentioned it. Does anybody know about Duke provide many assisstantship opportunities? Thanks a ton!

Edited by SailToU

29 minutes ago, SailToU said:

Got admitted too, but it seemed that I am the one with the lowest funding (5k per year). I am from China and had no work experience. The tuition is still a bit high for me. I don't know if it is hard to get assistantships in Duke, though the letter of offer mentioned it. Does anybody know about Duke provide many assisstantship opportunities? Thanks a ton!

Congrats!! I'm from China too yet waitlisted. I wish you could make your way to find an assistantship but if you finally decide not to accept this offer, are there are any chances you could give me a refer? I will be more than thankful!!!!

14 hours ago, FujiShe said:

It has the yearly costs at around 73 with housing and such

I saw that. After I posed the question on here I poked around their website. Expensive school! It is uncomfortable to think about all the potential debt when I will probably be working for nonprofits. Anyway! Thank you for your responses!!

I feel like a dolt, but I can't figure out the phrasing of a "tuition fellowship" for $49K "which will be disbursed in equal installments each semester in which Sanford is your home institution/school and you are in good academic standing." 

Does this mean $49K across two years, disbursed in four equal quarters? Or does it mean $49K each year? Obviously this will make a difference in planning/my decision! 

Any insights from others? 

8 minutes ago, shea2019 said:

I feel like a dolt, but I can't figure out the phrasing of a "tuition fellowship" for $49K "which will be disbursed in equal installments each semester in which Sanford is your home institution/school and you are in good academic standing." 

Does this mean $49K across two years, disbursed in four equal quarters? Or does it mean $49K each year? Obviously this will make a difference in planning/my decision! 

Any insights from others? 

Mine explicitly says per year, does yours not say that? 

Aha, that's really helpful. It doesn't! The possible glitch here is that I applied for a dual MPP/MEM; perhaps they're assuming that I'll be paying Sanford tuition for only part of the program and thus the tuition support will be allocated only toward the Sanford portion of time spent...I guess I'll send a direct email to sort this out. 

2 hours ago, shea2019 said:

Aha, that's really helpful. It doesn't! The possible glitch here is that I applied for a dual MPP/MEM; perhaps they're assuming that I'll be paying Sanford tuition for only part of the program and thus the tuition support will be allocated only toward the Sanford portion of time spent...I guess I'll send a direct email to sort this out. 

Let me know what they say...in a similar situation (MPP/MBA) and didn’t even think of this. ?

15 hours ago, FujiShe said:

Does anyone know if Sanford still negotiates funding? I have a solid offer but it never hurts to try

According to their 'Financial Aid Policies and Procedures Manual':

"Pre-Award Appeals: Because we have limited scholarship funds available at the school, appeals of the scholarship award decisions are not applicable. If you feel you would not be able to join our program due to financial constraints you may send a letter explaining the situation to the Director of Graduate Studies, the Director of Admissions and Scholarships, and the Assistant Dean of Academic Programs and Student Affairs for consideration. Triggers for appeals typically involve involuntary loss of employment by the student or spouse, high medical expenses, or child or elder care. Students are instructed to provide documentation of the change in income or out-of-pocket expenses for a particular time period (typically a calendar year for income and academic year for expenses). Students would be notified of appeal decision by email or appointment. Any change to a financial aid award would be available for view on ACES as well."

https://sanford.duke.edu/sites/sanford.duke.edu/files/images/mpp/MPP Financial Aid Manual 2018-19.pdf

Edited by MPA/MPP Applicant