Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Calmly_Waiting

Told me I was accepted ... and then followed up to say I'm actually waitlisted!

Recommended Posts

Brutal. Had a call with a professor for a potential PhD program earlier today to discuss whether I was still interested in the program (I am) and at the end of the call, she said a letter with official offer details would be coming my way soon. I only applied to 3 programs (1 reject/1 pending) so this would have been my first accept. Then a couple hours later, I received an email where the professor clarified that I am actually not accepted - just on the waitlist. Very sad. How to respond without sounding crushed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently going through something similar. A professor told me she would recommend me for admission (but was definitely clear it was just a recommendation to the adcom, not an offer of admission). Few days later got a response telling me I was waitlisted. When I told her she said, "good, i think you have a good chance of getting in"

I think some schools just use waitlists differently. I know some programs, a waitlist is basically a second round admit and just used as a safety measure not to over admit students beyond funding allocation. I would keep hope. I have been responding to my waitlists as "Thank you for your consideration. While I have not yet been admitted to XYZ program, I remain very interested in conducting my graduate studies at ABC university. Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide or if there are updates to my application status. Best regards, Calmly_Waiting." 

Keep hope! You are not out of the running yet. I am currently sitting on 11 rejections and 4 waitlists. I understand your pain! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the same boat. Prof said he recommended me thrice to the admission committee. Haven't heard back from them yet. May be on waitlist, maybe rejected. 

Applied only at 3 places, all more ambitious than this one. Now looking to apply in european universities so that I do not have to waste another year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Calmly_Waiting said:

How to respond without sounding crushed?

This is an appropriate response.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rohan5141 said:

On the same boat. Prof said he recommended me thrice to the admission committee. Haven't heard back from them yet.

I've been rejected from a university with a professor who said this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Calmly_Waiting said:

Brutal. Had a call with a professor for a potential PhD program earlier today to discuss whether I was still interested in the program (I am) and at the end of the call, she said a letter with official offer details would be coming my way soon. I only applied to 3 programs (1 reject/1 pending) so this would have been my first accept. Then a couple hours later, I received an email where the professor clarified that I am actually not accepted - just on the waitlist. Very sad. How to respond without sounding crushed?

I'm really sorry to hear that! As much as you may be upset or even angry, just reply back that you happy you are being considered and look forward to hearing from them again.

And I see a day has passed, so you probably responded. Did go well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Calmly_Waiting said:

Happy update to this thread - The POI got back in touch today to say I would be receiving an official letter of admission soon!

Bust out the happy dance! Congratulations to you!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Calmly_Waiting said:

Happy update to this thread - The POI got back in touch today to say I would be receiving an official letter of admission soon!

I am very happy to hear this. Hope some of your good fortune rubs off on me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Calmly_Waiting said:

Happy update to this thread - The POI got back in touch today to say I would be receiving an official letter of admission soon!

I guess those new grey hairs are worth it, eh?  Unless you got an email shortly later that said "I meant rejection letter...my bad".

Edited by Ternwild

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.