Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • 1 month later...
On 4/13/2019 at 6:06 PM, cassidyaxx said:

Just accepted my offer to Uconn! For anybody with questions about the Storrs area, PM me! I've lived here my whole life and did my undergrad at Uconn as well. 

Do you have any suggestions about living near campus? I am looking into living in Manchester or Vernon because my lab is at UConn Health but my classes are in Storrs so I am trying ti find a place inbetween the two. Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, IceCream & MatSci said:

Do you have any suggestions about living near campus? I am looking into living in Manchester or Vernon because my lab is at UConn Health but my classes are in Storrs so I am trying ti find a place inbetween the two. Thanks!

Manchester area is pretty nice! It can get a bit pricey sometimes depending where you are. That would be much closer to Uconn health. I would also suggest looking into Columbia, Andover, or Hebron areas as they're a bit more rural and tend to be cheaper. Those are fairly in between the two. However, I'd probably recommend Manchester because while the drive from Manchester to Uconn and vice versa isn't terrible, the ride to Uconn health is bad and very traffic heavy. It'd be easier to live closer to Uconn health to save time and stress and just deal with the 30-35 minute commute to Storrs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cassidyaxx said:

Manchester area is pretty nice! It can get a bit pricey sometimes depending where you are. That would be much closer to Uconn health. I would also suggest looking into Columbia, Andover, or Hebron areas as they're a bit more rural and tend to be cheaper. Those are fairly in between the two. However, I'd probably recommend Manchester because while the drive from Manchester to Uconn and vice versa isn't terrible, the ride to Uconn health is bad and very traffic heavy. It'd be easier to live closer to Uconn health to save time and stress and just deal with the 30-35 minute commute to Storrs. 

Thank you! This really helps!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2019 at 8:54 PM, IceCream & MatSci said:

Hi there! I am deciding between two schools, but I am leaning towards UConn over BU. I hope there are other fellow incoming students to UConn. I will be starting Fall 2019.

I am also going to UConn for BME starting Fall 2019!!!! Who is your PI? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes definitely! So for restaurants it really depends what you like. My favorite around here is Chuck's margaritaville and steak house. It has Mexican/steakhouse food and it is awesome! There are also some good ones on campus as well. My favorite pizza place on campus is husky pizza. A nicer restaurant just a bit off of campus is red rock. For towns, there's not too much worth seeing outside of Mansfield. If you're in Manchester, Manchester has a whole bunch of good places. Maggie McFlys and artisanal burger company in Manchester are awesome! As for parks, Mansfield hollow is a nice walking trail area right down the road from campus for Manchester, there's wickham park which is beautiful. West Hartford is near Manchester and they are the place to go if you're looking for something a little more upscale. They have a plaza called blueback square which has a ton of boutique shops and amazing restaurants. They are a little pricier but not unreasonably so. Really Manchester and Hartford are the go to areas, they definitely have the most stuff to do. However there are definitely some good spots in storrs/ Mansfield as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2019 at 6:06 PM, cassidyaxx said:

For anybody with questions about the Storrs area, PM me! I've lived here my whole life and did my undergrad at Uconn as well. 

Hi everyone! I'll be at UConn in the Fall, English department. 

Cassidyaxx, my partner and I are thinking of moving to Hartford. It looks like it's about a half-hour drive. Do you have any sense of the traffic between Storrs & Hartford? I just finished up my MA in the DC area, and my 25 minute commute was often an hour and half during rush hour :( 

I guess what I'm asking is is it insane to consider commuting to Storrs from Hartford a few days a week?

Link to post
Share on other sites

@StamfordCat so really it depends. The Hartford traffic isn't ~quite~ as bad as DC sounds. Hartford is really about a 40 minute drive from storrs campus on a typical day with average traffic. Since most people are heading towards Hartford in the morning, it would probably not be too traffic heavy, just the usual traffic for a morning. Your way back in from storrs, however, would most likely not be fun. The traffic gets very very crazy around 3:30-6:30, as so many people are going in and out. Then it can take a long time to get home, especially if you need to go over any of the bridges back into Hartford. Hartford is still a pretty nice area and has a lot to do, but personally I hate traffic and Hartford is known for awful traffic. Manchester is still more of a city than storrs, but the commute is much better. It's about 30 minutes to storrs, and you miss the majority of the traffic within Hartford. Manchester is also only 15 minutes or so from Hartford, so you'll have plenty to do around you. However, I would say if you are looking for a nicer apartment, you'd probably have better luck in the Hartford area. Manchester does have some nice ones as well but not as much selection as Hartford. It isn't impossible though! Many people do commute from where I live (near storrs) to Hartford and while I myself didn't like doing it, it probably wouldn't be as bad if you're used to driving in it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, cassidyaxx said:

@StamfordCat so really it depends. The Hartford traffic isn't ~quite~ as bad as DC sounds. Hartford is really about a 40 minute drive from storrs campus on a typical day with average traffic. Since most people are heading towards Hartford in the morning, it would probably not be too traffic heavy, just the usual traffic for a morning. Your way back in from storrs, however, would most likely not be fun. The traffic gets very very crazy around 3:30-6:30, as so many people are going in and out. Then it can take a long time to get home, especially if you need to go over any of the bridges back into Hartford. Hartford is still a pretty nice area and has a lot to do, but personally I hate traffic and Hartford is known for awful traffic. Manchester is still more of a city than storrs, but the commute is much better. It's about 30 minutes to storrs, and you miss the majority of the traffic within Hartford. Manchester is also only 15 minutes or so from Hartford, so you'll have plenty to do around you. However, I would say if you are looking for a nicer apartment, you'd probably have better luck in the Hartford area. Manchester does have some nice ones as well but not as much selection as Hartford. It isn't impossible though! Many people do commute from where I live (near storrs) to Hartford and while I myself didn't like doing it, it probably wouldn't be as bad if you're used to driving in it. 

Thank you! Such helpful information!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StamfordCat said:

Many people do commute from where I live (near storrs) to Hartford and while I myself didn't like doing it, it probably wouldn't be as bad if you're used to driving in it. 

You're welcome! My sister actually commutes from my house to Hartford (she works at an accounting firm) and she says it's really not that bad. She says on an average day with no accidents, it takes maybe about an extra 15 minutes with the traffic. We live about 45 minutes away so this puts her at just over an hour for her commute. I think it really depends on your comfort level with driving in congested areas, but it's nowhere near as horrid as dc conditions, haha. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2019 at 10:19 PM, ANGTIP said:

Hi All, 

I will be starting UConn in Fall 2019 for a PhD in Applied Linguistics and Discourse studies. I am looking for apartments, any suggestions? All the best to everyone!

Hey there! I've also been searching for places to stay! I first used Craigslist and found that there weren't many choices! I then went on the UConn Off-Campus Housing listing. You just need to sign in with your NetID (Which should be given to you when you were accepted) Just follow a list of steps to get your NETID then you should be able to login into Off-Campus Housing LIsting. Unfortunately for me, I wasn't able to get my other ID (I think is the email) where it's needed to login into On-Campus Housing Listing. However, I found a few good and affordable room prices around UConn Storrs from the Off-Campus listing~! 

 

Good luck! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...

Hey there UConn Grads! I have a question regarding the stipend and the misc fees that you have to pay! 

I was charged $864 for the misc fees that I have to pay, did anyone get that as well? My friends in Brown only needed to pay $60 for their fees! I am curious if I should wait and see if the fees will go down or..? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.