Jump to content
Sigaba

Applications 2019

Recommended Posts

In the same boat as many you on the not feeling a whole lotta love coming my way from Columbia, I feel prepared for the rejection as well, just wish they'd let us know. Me and everybody else, I know, I know.

I'm trying to stay away throughout the height of the waiting period, but I hope everyone's holding up okay!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've started using 24 hour sets of SelfControl (an app that blocks any website you choose for a specified time--even if you restart the computer, go on incognito, etc) on this website, on my laptop. I'm too lazy to use my (very slow) phone, so I can either check this site every 24 hours, or at work. I'm actually able to focus on uni again, for the first time in a month. 10/10, would recommend to anyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mediumatcha said:

I have been overthinking everything so thank you for responding! Do you think that I should ask the admissions advisor who emailed me as well?

No. Your tuition and fees are covered and you get 28K in addition to that. This is a standard funding package at the schools Berkeley competes for admits with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got a phone call from a NY area code. I thought, could this be Columbia? NYU?

Nope. The Police Officers Support Association.

Thanks for giving me a heart attack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of Columbia, does anyone know what's going on with them and Harvard? Harvard sent out some acceptances, Columbia some acceptances and rejections...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, historygeek said:

Speaking of Columbia, does anyone know what's going on with them and Harvard? Harvard sent out some acceptances, Columbia some acceptances and rejections...

Ugh I wish. My best guess is they sent out some definite acceptances and some definite rejects, are waiting to see if they get any immediate responses and then firming up the wait list with possibly a handful more acceptances (but if we haven't heard anything yet I'm personally expecting rejections). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, historygeek said:

Speaking of Columbia, does anyone know what's going on with them and Harvard? Harvard sent out some acceptances, Columbia some acceptances and rejections...

From what another student admitted to Harvard's program told me - and this is coming from his POI, so it is a little down the grapevine - Harvard sent out all the acceptances already. Next week we're suppose to receive the *official* letter from GSAS w/funding info. Of course, this is only from one person so it isn't 100%. I'll inquire about it when I speak to my POI next week though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, urbanhistorynerd said:

From what another student admitted to Harvard's program told me - and this is coming from his POI, so it is a little down the grapevine - Harvard sent out all the acceptances already. Next week we're suppose to receive the *official* letter from GSAS w/funding info. Of course, this is only from one person so it isn't 100%. I'll inquire about it when I speak to my POI next week though.

Disappointing, but not surprising. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, historygeek said:

Disappointing, but not surprising. 

Apperently they sent out 19 acceptances, but I'm unsure how many waitlisted people there are. From another person who applied, they told me 34 people made it to the top 10%. But I'm assuming they are going to send waitlisted notification soon. So, you never know.

Edited by urbanhistorynerd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, historygeek said:

It looks like another Harvard acceptance literally just came in.

That was mine! I never ended up submitting it. In fact, even though a couple people here posted they got in, I don't think anyone has submitted theirs.

And I filled it out incorrectly. This is sign that I shouldn't try doing anything without two cups of coffee in the morning...

Edited by urbanhistorynerd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Decisions are starting to fly in. Last night I was rejected from my second choice program and was absolutely heartbroken, I thought they were very interested. 

Then, this morning while I was in a classroom working, an e-mail came in to check the application portal from my top choice program. I sat in the GA office and panicked about opening the portal. I GOT ACCEPTED!!! After 2 rejections, this was a shock, but a pleasant one and nice to hear while sitting in an office across the hall from my current department head. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DanaJ said:

Decisions are starting to fly in. Last night I was rejected from my second choice program and was absolutely heartbroken, I thought they were very interested. 

Then, this morning while I was in a classroom working, an e-mail came in to check the application portal from my top choice program. I sat in the GA office and panicked about opening the portal. I GOT ACCEPTED!!! After 2 rejections, this was a shock, but a pleasant one and nice to hear while sitting in an office across the hall from my current department head. 

Congrats! That's fantastic news! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats @DanaJ! That's awesome news and I'm sure it feels especially good coming on the heels of a rejection. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoever the other Kentucky person is, congratulations! I’m sure we will meet soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, urbanhistorynerd said:

Apperently they sent out 19 acceptances, but I'm unsure how many waitlisted people there are. From another person who applied, they told me 34 people made it to the top 10%. But I'm assuming they are going to send waitlisted notification soon. So, you never know.

19 Harvard acceptances seems high. Does that mean some of us that got the informal acceptance email could still be turned down by the GSAS? The History Department's website says that they aim for a cohort of 16. Is it just that they anticipate 3 will turn them down?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No it means that they gave out 19 acceptances and 5-10 waitlists hoping to get a cohort of 16. Universities do this routinely because they know between 60 and 75 % will accept their offer of admissions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the past 3 years Yale has consistently released their decisions on the 7th and 8th of February... ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mediumatcha said:

I have been overthinking everything so thank you for responding! Do you think that I should ask the admissions advisor who emailed me as well?

One of the things you learn at Cal--my UG institution-- is to ask every question at least twice. However, how you ask is vitally important. "I am calling/emailing to confirm the information I've seen at source 1, source 2, and source 3..." is better than "Is it true that..." or any question that gives a hint that you are going to be that grad student.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I the only one who has this on the Harvard application portal?

Clicking the link leads to a page saying: "503 Error This page is inactive."

image.png.f9366c5050fd4755c2581272f1fdb087.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MARTINt said:

Am I the only one who has this on the Harvard application portal?

Clicking the link leads to a page saying: "503 Error This page is inactive."

image.png.f9366c5050fd4755c2581272f1fdb087.png

I have that too, and the same thing happened with the 503 error.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.