Applications 2019

Sigaba

On 2/9/2019 at 5:21 PM, telkanuru said:

I don't know any school that announces subfields separately. We medievalists are few enough that there will be reporting holes.

Penn State at least sends out acceptances by subfield. They may be the only one, though. 

NYU is the wildcard now. Cornell's deadline was later so I'm prepared to wait, Penn's probably finished their interviews, Duke usually sends their rejections out on Thursday in V-day week. . . I know NYU send decisions out advisor by advisor, but little else. Didn't they release waitlist results or something on Monday last week?

Big hugs to everyone waiting! I know I could use one.

4 hours ago, elx said:

NYU is the wildcard now. Cornell's deadline was later so I'm prepared to wait, Penn's probably finished their interviews, Duke usually sends their rejections out on Thursday in V-day week. . . I know NYU send decisions out advisor by advisor, but little else. Didn't they release waitlist results or something on Monday last week?

Big hugs to everyone waiting! I know I could use one.

Yeah, I think Cornell's acceptances usually go out around the 24th and I got my rejection (IIRC) March 7th last year.  Hopefully we'll all be hearing from the school closer to the 24th this year though.  :D

14 hours ago, luz.colorada said:

I want to reiterate what someone said above which was definitely apply to MA programs. My first cycle I got rejected from all the PhDs I applied to but am now finishing my MA and have been accepted to all the programs I've heard back from so far. I expect some rejections, of course, but this has been a very different experience. I know many people on this forum have applied multiple times, so if the first round doesn't turn out as you hope it will then don't let that stop you. Having an MA or two as a backup plan is a good idea. If you don't end up needing it, great! 

I've found it discouraging that I've been rejected, and I found it even more discouraging that my thesis advisor told me that I should "expect disappointment" (his words, verbatim). It can be so frustrating to see people get accepted to Ivy Leagues when you get rejected and are projecting rejections from other places. You'll end up where you're supposed to end up, even if it isn't the straight-from-undergrad-to-an-Ivy that you're dreaming of. 

Has anyone received application status changes through an ApplyWeb portal? Three of my schools--Northwestern, Princeton, Cornell--use that platform. I received emails from Northwestern about being placed in their wait list, but don't see anything about that reflected in the portal. Does that mean that results don't show up in ApplyWeb? Or does that just vary from school to school? 

7 minutes ago, Balleu said:

Has anyone received application status changes through an ApplyWeb portal? Three of my schools--Northwestern, Princeton, Cornell--use that platform. I received emails from Northwestern about being placed in their wait list, but don't see anything about that reflected in the portal. Does that mean that results don't show up in ApplyWeb? Or does that just vary from school to school? 

I applied to Cornell and Princeton my first application season and I received email updates, not portal changes.

16 minutes ago, Balleu said:

@Balleu My admissions decision from Northwestern showed up on the ApplyWeb portal. After logging in, a new button, titled "View Your Decision Letter," appeared between the Print Receipt and View Checklist buttons. It might be different for you since you were waitlisted, but I hope that helps!

29 minutes ago, fordlandia said:

@Balleu My admissions decision from Northwestern showed up on the ApplyWeb portal. After logging in, a new button, titled "View Your Decision Letter," appeared between the Print Receipt and View Checklist buttons. It might be different for you since you were waitlisted, but I hope that helps!

Yes, this is how it was for Stanford as well.

1 hour ago, fordlandia said:

40 minutes ago, hahahahaleigh said:

Yes, this is how it was for Stanford as well.

Thanks everyone! Good to hear that I'm not overlooking anything. 

17 minutes ago, gorgogliante said:

Just heard from UMich! Second acceptance! 

Congratulations!!

Congrats to any and all accepted at Wisconsin! It is (was?) one of my top choices, so I hope if I'm rejected I get an official notification soon. 

8 minutes ago, elx said:

It's not decided until you've got an actual rejection! Got my fingers crossed for you. ❤️

I know that this is something that's often said, but how often is this really the case? Two of my schools have already sent out offers (USC and UCLA), and UCLA has handed out some rejections. I haven't heard anything from either school. UCLA is my top choice so I am really hoping I'm on some sort of waitlist or something, but I'm also trying not to get my hopes up.

36 minutes ago, hahahahaleigh said:

I know that this is something that's often said, but how often is this really the case? Two of my schools have already sent out offers (USC and UCLA), and UCLA has handed out some rejections. I haven't heard anything from either school. UCLA is my top choice so I am really hoping I'm on some sort of waitlist or something, but I'm also trying not to get my hopes up.

I also applied to UCLA, and haven’t heard anything