Applications 2019

Sigaba

6 minutes ago, elx said:

Also, I've no idea how rejections work but lots of Yale ones have gone out (if the results page is to be trusted), but you haven't yet got one. It might mean nothing, but it also might mean they're still considering your application!

Thanks! I applied to Yale's History of Science and Medicine track, which does its own admissions. So my application is still floating in the ether. 

Just got an email from Princeton: the rejection is official. I knew it was a long shot, but it was worth trying for. 

Yes, I just received my rejection from Princeton as well. I was expecting as much, as I sent in a still quite rough version of my writing sample that I polished up only in time for my final applications! The early deadlines were basically trial runs, so I am thankful for them anyhow. This was my first real rejection, and I am happy to receive it actually. I think Princeton is nice for sending our rejections the day after acceptances, unlike some other schools which have apparently decided weeks ago but still are taking their sweet time.

Sorry to hear you were also rejected Balleu, and I hope you get in somewhere soon. I know several people on this board are planning on turning down their Northwestern acceptances, so hopefully you are considered.

I also just got my first rejection from Princeton. I am totally relieved to receive it though! I expected it from the beginning because I didn't contact my POI and my topic is out of his temporal area of interest. This process is almost over for me!

Now to continue wondering whether Harvard's HEAL program has already sent out its acceptances (there's nothing on the GradCafe board though!)... 

Princeton rejection just came in. Sure have learned a lot this application cycle! Looking forward to being able to start looking at new plans for 2020. Going for the MA degree is definitely at the top of my list. Congratulations to those who received acceptances! 

56 minutes ago, Taorluath34 said:

Princeton rejection just came in. Sure have learned a lot this application cycle! Looking forward to being able to start looking at new plans for 2020. Going for the MA degree is definitely at the top of my list. Congratulations to those who received acceptances! 

I feel that so much. I'm now waiting for the rejections to come quick so I can start planning for 2020. Or maybe take a little break and go at it over summer.

26 minutes ago, elx said:

I feel that so much. I'm now waiting for the rejections to come quick so I can start planning for 2020. Or maybe take a little break and go at it over summer.

I totally agree. I learned so much from this cycle that I almost feel like I should just do the W&M MA program and reapply for PhD's next cycle so I have a strong shot at getting into better PhD programs, but 3 schools I applied to still haven't released any decisions so I'm not giving up yet!

WRT later admissions - do y'all have any sense of how large the reserve pools are? It just seems strange to me that schools would sit on applications that they have little intention of even considering. 

Also, do y'all think it would do any good to reach out to admissions departments and POIs this late to kind of try to secure some priority and express interest? Or would I just be pestering already overwhelmed admissions persons? 

26 minutes ago, Gotya64 said:

UT Austin invited a number of applicants to attend a graduate students' weekend at the end of the month. It seems unlikely that final decisions will come out before then.

I can second this - I've been told that the Austin decisions will come out sometime between February 26th and before March 10th. @Carltonjacobs

hey long time lurker here. Rejected from Yale, Stanford, Rice, Columbia, Johns Hopkins, and presumably Harvard and Chicago as well this cycle for Southern history. Just wanted to say even though my cycle isn't going as planned, I'm really truly happy for everyone who's been getting good news lately. Despite getting rejected from lower-tier programs, I've actually been waitlisted at *the* top program for my field within American history & heard from the department that I'm number 1 on the waitlist. Should I have any hope? It's my dream school, dream advisors, etc. and I don't want to get too excited because I'm worried I'll be heartbroken in the end anyway

I was admitted after three cycles of rejections and wait lists. I would say the most important thing is to not get discouraged if you are not admitted on your first or even second attempt. Use the experiences of your rejections and wait lists to hone your SOPs, writing sample, and school selection. Before you begin editing and preparing for the next cycle, I encourage you to take a break and relax a bit. Most of our brains are exhausted and emotionally drained. A break will help you gather yourself and think critically on your own work.

Besides gradcafe, another helpful source are the subreddits for SOPs, graduate school, and history. There are a million threads with applicants and current students talking about applications in general, as well as history. I personally used the subreddits to find readers of my SOPs who I never met. It was a great way to get some advice and tips for improving my SOPs which I used alongside the tips I received from professors and friends.

Like always, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to give you advice. Best of luck to all new and experienced applicants!

Edited by Tigla

11 minutes ago, eks933 said:

hey long time lurker here. Rejected from Yale, Stanford, Rice, Columbia, Johns Hopkins, and presumably Harvard and Chicago as well this cycle for Southern history. Just wanted to say even though my cycle isn't going as planned, I'm really truly happy for everyone who's been getting good news lately. Despite getting rejected from lower-tier programs, I've actually been waitlisted at *the* top program for my field within American history & heard from the department that I'm number 1 on the waitlist. Should I have any hope? It's my dream school, dream advisors, etc. and I don't want to get too excited because I'm worried I'll be heartbroken in the end anyway

Depends on the program. Some have a "waitlist" which essentially means a rejection. Some have a functional waitlist.

5 minutes ago, psstein said:

Depends on the program. Some have a "waitlist" which essentially means a rejection. Some have a functional waitlist.

Thanks for your input--they told me although they can make no promises there was a "real" chance of admitting me. Is it possible they are just bullshitting me or being honest?

Edited by eks933

1 hour ago, eks933 said:

Thanks for your input--they told me although they can make no promises there was a "real" chance of admitting me. Is it possible they are just bullshitting me or being honest?

No one would tell that to an applicant just to fuck with them. If they said it, it's true. Hope it works out for you!

6 hours ago, TsarandProphet said:

I have just accepted my offer at Yale. I hope it will free a spot for someone at Illinois and bump someone up Princeton and Michigan's waiting lists.

Congrats! How exciting.

6 hours ago, TsarandProphet said:

I have just accepted my offer at Yale. I hope it will free a spot for someone at Illinois and bump someone up Princeton and Michigan's waiting lists.

Oh wow, you've decided already! But if you're sure, you're sure. Congratulations!!

In other news, I just received an email from Columbia trying to sell me on three different MA programs. Not sure if I should feel insulted. ?

Anyone else get an offer from Columbia to transfer your application to an MA program?  (I'm assuming everyone did and it's a cash cow for the school)  I was like "I already have an MA in history, Broseph."

I mean don't get me wrong, if I had Oprah money I'd do another MA at an Ivy just for the hell of it!